The department of Aisne is famous for its historical memories. It was the center of Neustrie, the kingdom of Soissons of wire of Glovis, it was the last field of the successors of Charlemagne; it is which was founds the kingdom of the Francs merovingiens by the battle of Soissons; it is which was founds the kingdom of the Francs carlovingiens by the battle of Testry; in this country were the principal communes of the Middle Ages; as all quote them Picardy, these cities underwent heroic seats with the xvr century; place between Belgium and Paris, on the main road of the invasions, Aisne was one of the theatres of the countryside of 1814, and the battles of Thierry Castle, Craonne, the seats of Soissons and Laon donnerent a new reputation to him.
Before the Roman conquest, Suessones, Lauduni, Viromandui and Novioduni, of which the names have leaves trace in modern names of Soissonnais, Laonnais, Vermandois, Noyonnais, lived the various territories which one has composes this department.
Rome, after having overcome them, could be done some combine devoted, that it enriches, moreover, of roads and useful monuments. They included/understood them in Belgium II. It is in this region, has Soissons, into 486, that the general Gallo-Roman one, Syagrius, tried the last effort against the conquest of the Francs. Under the successors of Clovis, Soissons became one of the centers of the new empire, the stay of Chilperic and Fredegonde. Under Carlovingiens, its importance decreased, and Louis d' Outremer being established has Laon, this city became the residence of the frank kings until 991. In the dismemberment of the empire carlovingien, the country was divided in several seigniories whose principal one was Vermandois which was joined together with the crown of Capetiens by Philippe-Auguste; Valois, Laonnais, Soissonnais resterent with the crown like belonging to the duchy of France; the Champagne was joined together there under Philippe the Beautiful one. All these countries belonged directly to Capetiens; they did not have to undergo any transformation during several centuries, but they were devastations successively speak English, by the Burgundian ones, speak Spanish, and this last invasion gave place to the battle and the seat of Saint-Quentin. The inhabitants montrerent themselves there on any occasion full with a burning patriotism.
During the Revolution, the population of Aisne took party for the novel ideas ardently, and it provides has this great time some of its more impetuous characters.
In 1790, when the territory was divided in departments, one formed the department of Aisne with part of Picardy (Vermandois and Thierache), with part of the Ile-de-France which formerly had been Picarde (Laonnais and Soissonnais), and one supplemented it with part of Champagne.
latest Department notices
Fortified Parish Church of Saint-Pierre, French Heritage monument to Leschelles 14
The Church is covered by a ceiling; nave covered with a roof ... long half-timbered ending with a short gear and an everything; chorus with two pans, covered gear (...) Fortified Parish Church of Saint-Pierre, French Heritage monument to Leschelles 14
Sainte-therese-de-enfant-jesus church to Hirson
The construction of the Sainte-Thérèse of the child Jesus Church is linked ... to expanding demographic and economic city of Hirson in the first decades of the 20th century, and the personal action of a man, the engineer of hirsonnaise origin, Aimé Joseph Bonna (1855-1930). Before the demographic pressure of the industrial city, the smallness of the our Lady of Lourdes parish church, rebuilt in 1908, and the need to build a place of worship to serve the railwaymen city of Northern Railway, the clergy of Hirson intends to build a chapel from the 1920s.
Notre Dame Cathedral to Laon
Laon Cathedral is built on the basis of a Latin cross plan ... with the choir is almost as long as the nave building with three aisles, covered with vaults of warheads sexpartite for the choir and the nave elevation four-tiered Lantern Tower at the crossing of the transept. Building constructed in limestone Ashlar and covered with a slate roof.
Church from Vendieres
Village of the old champagne Brie, built on a high plateau at ... 105 kilometres south of Laon and 25 of Château-Thierry, formerly of the stewardship of Soissons, Bailiwick and election of Château-Thierry, diocese of Soissons, today the canton of Charly, arrondissement of Château-Thierry, same diocese.
Fortified parish church Saint Theodulf, French Heritage monument to Gronard 2
The choir and the transept were built an average device. They are ... vaulted with warheads. The choir is covered with a polygonal rump, the transept of a 2 (...) Fortified parish church Saint Theodulf, French Heritage monument to Gronard 2