Sainte-therese-de-enfant-jesus church to Hirson
The Church is built in reinforced concrete on a Basilica plan, with two aisles framing a nave, 7 spans, and flat chevet. Some elements are also in cinder block with a cemented coating. The Western, 23 metres high facade is flanked by 2 rounds. The adjacent campanile in the nave, on the left of the choir, which is accessed by the crypt or the outside, rises to 45 meters, the arrow is also concrete.
The aisles are covered by a ceiling of exposed concrete, the nave by a barrel vault. Coverage of the nave by a two-sided roof and the side aisles by a shed roof is synthetic slate. A rectangular building 5 spans, floor square, covered terrace, entwined at this same bedside, houses the sacristy and parish meeting rooms. In addition to the mezzanine floor and a basement, the building has a crypt with 3 bays, the Central Bay houses a chapel. This crypt is supported by columns.
The construction of the Sainte-Thérèse of the child Jesus Church is linked to expanding demographic and economic city of Hirson in the first decades of the 20th century, and the personal action of a man, the engineer of hirsonnaise origin, Aimé Joseph Bonna (1855-1930). Before the demographic pressure of the industrial city, the smallness of the our Lady of Lourdes parish church, rebuilt in 1908, and the need to build a place of worship to serve the railwaymen city of Northern Railway, the clergy of Hirson intends to build a chapel from the 1920s.
Aimé Joseph Bonna, inventor of a new method of line pipe, having made his fortune, decided in 1929 to build at his own expense this new place of worship. It is he who draws up the plans, purchased the land, finances and leading the work. Modernity and the brutality of the completed work may surprise, especially as one of the first projects-plans by elevation showed an eclectic style building, gantry with a façade inspired by the classic architecture of the 17th century, while incorporating elements of the vocabulary of the Renaissance.
The first stone was laid on October 3, 1929. The death of Bonna, in November 1930, does not interrupt the worksite, which ends in the summer 1931. The building was dedicated on September 30, 1931. In addition to religious building itself, with an underground Crypt Chapel, the building has also spaces and meeting rooms for parish use.
The building was made entirely in reinforced concrete, many photographs allow to follow the construction, its status, and observe manufacturing techniques. The aisles were covered by a roof lean-to at an unknown date, whereas the comp and inaugurated building photographs show terrace roofs. Modern architectural building, inspired by the Art deco movement, is noticeable in its vertical lines, in its desire for integration of the monumental sculpture, which contrast with the Interior marked by a certain Historicism inspired by the ancient basilicas.
The important Interior, of style Art deco, often integral with the architectural elements, was realized only partially. The cradle of the nave vaults and ceilings of the collateral, near 1500 roses in polychrome plaster, ought to be illuminated by so many bulbs.
Source: Ministry of culture.
Crédit photo : pierre bastien (Sainte-therese-de-enfant-jesus parish church, hirson)
Sainte-therese-de-enfant-jesus parish church, The construction of the Sainte-Thérèse of the child Jesus Church is linked to expanding demographic and economic city of Hirson in the first decades of the 20th century, and the personal action of a man, the engineer of hirsonnaise origin, Aimé Joseph Bonna (1855-1930). Before the demographic pressure of the industrial city, the smallness of the our Lady of Lourdes parish church, rebuilt in 1908, and the need to build a place of worship to serve the railwaymen city of Northern Railway, the clergy of Hirson intends to build a chapel from the 1920s. hirson, aisne
The complete official record is available at Conseil régional de Picardie - Service de l'Inventaire du patrimoine culturel5, rue Henry Daussy 80044 Amiens Cedex 1 - 03.22.97.33.73
Men involved in this construction
- Bonna aimé joseph (in French) auteur commanditaire, ingénieur
Contributions documentaries made by visitors
Voir cette photo en grand
Contact contributor with his mail for more information.
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.