Abbey of canons of prémontré Saint-Martin, French Heritage monument to Laon
The Church is in average limestone unit, vaulted warheads and covered with flat tiles. the abbatial, brick and stone, is covered with slate: the galleries of the cloister are vaulted in brick edges and stone covered with flat tiles. the wing is, only remaining, medium limestone device, a square and a peak stage covered with slate. It includes a room (stations) to the complex vault, cloister ends arc and pendants at the centre
* the Hall became the chapel of Hôtel-Dieu. This wing is served by a remarkable suspended staircase and oval day. In 1124, the Premonstratensian succeed to a chapter of canons regular in decadence
* the Church is built mostly in the second half of the 12th century: around 1160 are high the choir, the transept and the nave
* 1190 the primitive structure is replaced by a vault contrebutée by buttresses and the façade of the southern arm of the transept is high
* the choir is covered by a frame in 1226-1240 (dendrochronological date)
* the construction of the towers continues until the end of the 13th century, but the arrows that overcame them are slaughtered in 1605
* the western façade is not earlier than 1270
* the abbatial Palace and the Pavilion in the garden (called the vide-bouteilles) are built for Nicolas Lesaige between 1616 and 1621. a major reconstruction campaign is undertaken in 1736 by the architects Charles and Nicolas Bonhomme (date once the wing is around the Court of the 'Community')
* the Northeast Tower of the Church was rebuilt in 1740 (date range)
* in 1754, only the East Wing with the grand staircase of the dormitory is completed
* the North and West wings and galleries of the cloister were rebuilt between 1779 and 1788. After the Revolution, the church became a parish and other buildings, designed by engineer Duroché, welcome Hôtel-Dieu in 1810 (date on the front door). In 1944 a bombing destroyed all buildings surrounding the Court of the 'Community', the West and North wings thus updating the medieval Gables of the cellar and refectory.
Source: Ministry of Culture, France
(Abbey of canons of prémontré Saint-Martin, laon)
Abbey of canons of prémontré Saint-Martin, The Church is in average limestone unit, vaulted warheads and covered with flat tiles. the abbatial, brick and stone, is covered with slate: the galleries of (...) Abbey of canons of prémontré Saint-Martin, French Heritage monument to Laon 81 laon, aisne
Men involved in this construction
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.