Belfry, French Heritage monument to Laon
Square in plan, the building was supported four powerful buttresses which one contained the staircase. It included a Dungeon used basement floor (still existing) and two levels of which the first floor was vaulted on ribbed contains
* the ground floor was covered by a ceiling. The studied belfry is probably the one which granted in 1177 to the inhabitants of Laon by their Bishop Roger of Rozoy
* the building became Marshal in 1331 prison
* He is spared in 1596 during the destruction of the neighborhood east of the city to leave place to the Citadel, the belfry is not suffering from the reconstruction of this same Citadel from 1835 to 1847, in which it is included (Northwest bastion). transformed into housing for officers in 1850, it disappears in 1878, with the exception of the basement.
Source: Ministry of Culture, France
Belfry, Square in plan, the building was supported four powerful buttresses which one contained the staircase. It included a Dungeon used basement floor (still (...) Belfry, French Heritage monument to Laon 83 laon, aisne
The complete official record is available at Conseil régional de Picardie - Service de l'Inventaire du patrimoine culturel5, rue Henry Daussy 80044 Amiens Cedex 1 - 03.22.97.33.73
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.