Fortified Parish Church of Saint-Pierre, French Heritage monument to Leschelles
The Church is covered by a ceiling
* nave covered with a roof long half-timbered ending with a short gear and an everything
* chorus with two pans, covered gear and polygonal gambrel roof. roof two sides and rump on the arms of the transept and the sacristy
* polygonal Spire and weatherboarding slate on the Bell Tower
* the passage leading from choir to the sacristy is protected by a lean-to zinc
* Memorial built in limestone Parish Church St. Peter built the 15th or the 16th century as a fortified church. The basis of two turrets overhanging is still visible on the south wall of the choir and in the height of the Church. It is expanded a choir and two chapels form transept, in the course of the 17th century. The Church was altered in the 1st half of the 18th century (perhaps around 1733, consecration of an altar, carved on its support, but before 1741, certainly date of death of the Bishop of Laon who had consecrated the building). The nave is then extended to the West, to leave room in the chapel of the fonts and the stairs leading to the peak, and receives a new facade. The cemetery surrounding the Church was gradually abandoned for a new Cemetery from about 1830. The present sacristy was built in the second quarter of the 19th century, after 1838 because it is not represented on the cadastre. The building was little damaged in World War II with the exception of the stained glass Windows. The monument to the dead, work of f. Laffineur, Carver at Hirson, was erected near the Church shortly after 1918 (it bears the signature)
Source: Ministry of Culture, France
Crédit photo : Oldchap62 (fortified Parish Church of Saint-Pierre, leschelles)
fortified Parish Church of Saint-Pierre, The Church is covered by a ceiling; nave covered with a roof long half-timbered ending with a short gear and an everything; chorus with two pans, covered gear (...) Fortified Parish Church of Saint-Pierre, French Heritage monument to Leschelles 14 leschelles, aisne
The complete official record is available at Conseil régional de Picardie - Service de l'Inventaire du patrimoine culturel5, rue Henry Daussy 80044 Amiens Cedex 1 - 03.22.97.33.73
Men involved in this construction
- Laffineur f. (in French) marbrier
Contributions documentaries made by visitors
Voir cette photo en grand
Contact contributor with his mail for more information.
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.