Castle of Sauvan to Mane
Mane in latin Mana is built on the inclination of a small hill and on the right bank of the Laye, 3 kil. S. O. of Forcalquier, and at 50 S. O. Digne. The etymology of Mane comes from latin Manes, probably because of the large number of mounds and stones of the altars erected to the Manes gods. We frequently view around this town, vestiges of ancient tombs, such as URNs, lamps, medals. In the said district of the Cailleles, was found, in the beginning of our century, a whole forge masonry, a large quantity of nails, and a few pieces of iron, presumed Saracens.
Mane is a village of the most significant and most pleasant of the Department. The gardening and agriculture were spread rich productions. The fruits are collected, are big and a good taste, mainly pears. The territory of Mane is cut by small channels that water and fertilize the plain covered with prairies. Wheat, oil and wine are the main products of the place.
It operates in the neighbouring hillsides a beautiful career of tender and good stones for constructions. Found to the East of the village, the former convent of the Minims, big, wide and beautiful House, placed in an advantageous site. This convent was founded in 1602, by Melchior de Janson: one hundred years after the Foundation, a great-grandson of the founder dota and embellishes these religious House. The cardinal of the Janson him then bequeathed his extensive library. Sold, after the overpressure of the monastic orders in France, this beautiful establishment has already experienced the sad ravages of time. The Church, once Decorated with copies of the most beautiful paintings of Rome, conserves more than its elegant architecture, its arches in arches, its fluted pilasters. The minimal fathers were once priors-decimation of the parish of Mane.
A kilometre of the village and on the road to Forcalquier in Apt, we see the beautiful castle of Salim, remarkable by its architecture and its vast expanse. It was built by Mr de Janson, brother of the cardinal.
The construction of the castle was entrusted to Jean-Baptiste Franque in 1718. In 1810, the property was sold to the Abbot Sollier whose inheritors are lands nearby, reducing the leisure park in three terraces. A piece of water occupies the space between the Castle and the Pavilion of the common. Certain provisions of the Park date from the 19th and 20th century.
Source: Ministry of culture and geography historical and biographical Department of Basses-Alpes by Jean-Joseph-Maxime Feraud (1844).
Crédit photo : Château de Sauvan (Castle of Sauvan, mane)
Castle of Sauvan, The construction of the castle was entrusted to Jean-Baptiste Franque in 1718. In 1810, the property was sold to the Abbot Sollier whose inheritors are lands nearby, reducing the leisure park in three terraces. A piece of water occupies the space between the Castle and the Pavilion of the common. Certain provisions of the Park date from the 19th and 20th century. mane, alpes de haute provence
Men involved in this construction
Contributions documentaries made by visitors
Voir cette photo en grand
Contact contributor with his mail for more information.
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.