Parish Church and remains of the ancient Priory Saint Mayeul, French Heritage monument to Valensole

The parish church dominates the village. It forms with dwellings clustered on its South side, around a vast courtyard, a convent ensemble known as the Priory-Dean of Saint Mayeul. The Benedictine Priory was founded by Saint Mayeul, the fourth Abbot of Cluny. Cluniac construction of the 11th-13th century, there is a square bell tower topped choir. The main nave was greatly remodelled in the 19th century. The side aisles date from the 14th century
* the chapels of the braces are the end of the 16th and the middle of the 17th century (date 1662 on the gateway to the South). A carved wooden rood-screen has been moved to the Revolution. In the 19th century, many restorations due to the poor condition of the building (in particular, vaulting on the robust nave vaulting).

Source: Ministry of Culture, France

Parish Church and remains of the ancient Priory Saint Mayeul
(Parish Church and remains of the ancient Priory Saint Mayeul, valensole)


Heritage listed, historical monument, or having been under investigation

Structural information

Parish Church and remains of the ancient Priory Saint Mayeul, The parish church dominates the village. It forms with dwellings clustered on its South side, around a vast courtyard, a convent ensemble known as the Priory-De (...) Parish Church and remains of the ancient Priory Saint Mayeul, French Heritage monument to Valensole valensole, alpes de haute provence

Location and general information

  • identifier : 4360
  • item : Eglise paroissiale et vestiges de l'ancien prieuré Saint-Mayeul
  • Location of the building :
    • Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur
    • Alpes-de-Haute-Provence
    • Valensole
  • Address :
    • place du Marché
    • rue des Ancres
    • cour du Doyenné
  • INSEE code of the municipality : 4230
  • Zip code of the municipality : 04210
  • Order in the communal list : 1
  • Name of the building : The building is designated by the following 3 names :
    • church
    • parish church
    • home
  • State :
    • the current state of the monument is not known.

Dates and times

  • Period of construction : 7 different epochs of evolution of the building.
    • 11th century
    • First half 11th century
    • 13th century
    • 14th century
    • 16th century
    • 17th century
    • 19th century
  • Year : 1662
  • Dates of protection :
    • 1994/01/24 : inscrit MH
    • 1995/02/09 : inscrit MH
  • Date taken into account : 1996/12/18

Construction, architecture and style

  • Materials:
    • We do not have this information.
  • Roofing :
    • We do not have this information.
  • Materials (roofing) :
    • We do not have this information.
  • Other about the composition roofs :
    • No information on the coverage of the place.
  • Floors :
    • any information about this construction.
  • Stairs :
    • No stairs mentioned on this construction.
  • Decoration of the building :
    • No information about decoration.
  • Representation :
    • No information on the ornamentation of the place.
  • Typology :
    • No information about typology.
  • Plan :
    • We do not know the type of plan for this building.

Monument and history of the place

  • Interest of the building : Objets mobiliers protégés : clôture de la chapelle des fonts baptismaux classée OM 20/01/1936 ; toile de la fête de Saint-Eloi classée OM 08/01/1975.
  • Elements protected MH (historical monument) :3 parts of the building are subject to protection and are listed as follows :
    • porch
    • well
    • court
  • Constituent areas :
    • no information.
  • Parties constituantes étudiées :
    • no information.
  • Use :
    • We do not know the different uses that have been made of this construction.

Other

  • Other : 3 various other information are available
    • property of the municipality
    • property of a religious association
    • 1994 private property
  • Picture : 812b8e8fc32e70957033df2132c51feb.jpg
  • Details : Eglise paroissiale Saint-Blaise (cad. I 254) : inscription par arrêté du 24 janvier 1994 - Façades et toitures de l' ensemble des bâtiments formant la cour du doyenné, ainsi que son porche d' entrée, le sol de la cour et le puits (cad. I 523, 531 à 538) : inscription par arrêté du 9 février 1995
  • Mérimée reference : PA00135600

source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.

Participate in the increase of the database

You have "old photos" of the monument or recent, you know this monument and want to share your photos, knowledge, stories about him, click here.

The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.