Church from Lesperon
The Church of Lesperon is placed under the patronage of saint Hilaire, which shows a Merovingian origin of the site. This Romanesque style building is mentioned for the first time in the 11th century in the CARTULARY of Gellone.
In 1031, Pons de Jaujac and Itier de Solignac Lords give the Church Saint-Hilaire-Esperone to Salnt-Guilhem-le-Désert Abbey. The building and its dependencies then become the powerful South Abbey Priory.
Towards 1170/1175, this church probably saw the baptism of the future troubadour Perdigon, son of fisherman, born in the village of Lespero, in the avescat of Gévaudan.
In 1382, during the war of the hundred years, English road controlled by Just Rolland destroy the village and damaging the Church. In the 16th century, despite the sacking of many churches of plateau Saint-Hillaire appears to have been untouched by the wars of religion.
Since 1941, the Church Saint-Hilaire-de-Lesperon is classified historical monument. It is especially notable for its bell tower comb, its polygonal apse with carved modillions and historiated capitals.
Crédit photo : pierre bastien (Church, lesperon)
Church, The Church of Lesperon is placed under the patronage of saint Hilaire, which shows a Merovingian origin of the site. This Romanesque lesperon, ardeche
Contributions documentaries made by visitors
Voir cette photo en grand
Contact contributor with his mail for more information.
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.