Presentation of the city Mars, French Heritage monument to Mars
The town of March, in the Department of Haute-Loire, has changed its name several times in its history. Originally called Saint-Romain-le-Désert, it becomes Mount-Desert in 1793
* in 1877, the municipal Council request that the municipality is called Saint-Romain of Eyrieux
* by Decree of December 18, 1909, Saint-Romain-le-Désert is the name of March, the oldest, most populous hamlet name and best served by Saint-agrève to le Puy route. Other localities have only isolated habitat or a few dwellings grouped into gap
* only the hamlet of Saint-Romain-le-Désert (old town) is distinguished by the presence of a parish church surrounded by its graveyard (today ' hui moved). With an average altitude of 1000 m, this county, on the edge of the granite plateau, presents two volcanic enclaves, Montreal and Hugons, masses of lava cut prisms of large dimensions and an effusion of basalt around Saint-Romain. The municipality is bordered to the East by the river the Eyrieux, on the West by the Lignon
* the line of the watershed through northeast to the Southwest. This territory is attested since the Gallo-Roman era: a Roman road crossed the Lignon at Pont-de-Mars. It is possible that a temple built by the Romans, the God of war, is at the origin of the hamlet of March. Medieval times the order of Montreal corresponds to the territory of the parish Saint-Romain
* It is owned by the Lords of Fay. Castle situated on a basaltic Hill seems to have been inhabited only intermittently: the remains of the tower were dismantled in the mid 19th century and fragments of walls used stone from quarries in the 20th century. In the 16th century the reform ideas enter the local population, already prepared to Evangelical Pierre Valdo ideas propagated by hawkers, causes of material will precipitate. This population, high poverty, protests made to improperly pay the tithe to distant religious, such as the Abbé de Mazan and the commanders of Jales, which depends on the Church
* idea shared by the priest of the parish who have apostatized the Catholic religion. The pastoral visit of 1583 tells Saint-Romain-le-Désert "more of those alleged reformed and Catholic religion" and in 1750 there are still 59 Protestant and 42 Catholic families. The visit of 1843, by Monsignor Guibert, advance 800 protestants and Catholics 200 figures. At this time the town has temple protestant in the hamlet of March, an evangelical Chapel to Pireyre (extirpated), a Catholic Church, Saint-Romain, surrounded by its graveyard (moved). Today ' still the territory of March shows a landscape with a Protestant religious history. There are numerous family cemeteries, near a sparsely or in the middle of the fields, as well as a temple in the heart of the capital.
Source: Ministry of Culture, France
Presentation of the city Mars, The town of March, in the Department of Haute-Loire, has changed its name several times in its history. Originally called Saint-Romain-le-Désert, it becomes (...) Presentation of the city Mars, French Heritage monument to Mars mars, ardeche
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.