Castle of the counts of Bryas, French Heritage monument to Fumay

Building plan u. If the roof is long sided with rump, the boundary of the central body with wings materializes at the level of coverage by two domes to curve, extended by an octagonal Spire. The building, paired brick and blue stone, shows an enlargement of the right wing and left wing of a housing addition. In front facade, the central span is prolonged a pediment stone. Become declared Lord of the lands of Revin in 1689, the family of the comte de Bryas had built this Castle between the end of the 17th century and the first quarter of the 18th century on the ruins of the ancient castle. In 1827, the site becomes the property of Charles and Louis Blair, who founded a white lead factory. Bankrupt following a fire, the Castle becomes, in 1837, the property of the slate company of the Moulin Sainte-Anne who settled its offices until 1946, date of liquidation of the assets of the company. The owner, Tocqueville Grouard, gave it to the town of Fumay in 1951. The Castle, which houses multiple administrative services is listed in the supplementary inventory of Historic Monuments since 1972. The former Park of the Castle hosts various workshops as well as an administrative building built in 1963. In the old Park, there is a former Russian Terminal on the national road.

Source: Ministry of Culture, France

Castle of the counts of Bryas
(Castle of the counts of Bryas, fumay)


Reported to be remarkable heritage of quality.

Structural information

Castle of the counts of Bryas, Building plan u. If the roof is long sided with rump, the boundary of the central body with wings materializes at the level of coverage by two domes to curve, (...) Castle of the counts of Bryas, French Heritage monument to Fumay fumay, ardennes

Location and general information

  • identifier : 8091
  • item : château des comtes de Bryas
  • Location of the building :
    • Champagne-Ardenne
    • Ardennes
    • Fumay
  • Address : rue du Château
  • Place name : Rivage (Le)
  • INSEE code of the municipality : 8185
  • Zip code of the municipality : 08170
  • Order in the communal list : 14
  • Name of the building :
    • The building is designated as follows : castle
  • State :
    • the current state of the monument is not known.

Dates and times

  • Period of construction : 2 different epochs of evolution of the building.
    • 17th century
    • 4th quarter 17th century
  • Investigation : 2002
  • Date of protection : 1972/03/20 : inscrit MH
  • Date taken into account : 2002/12/12

Construction, architecture and style

  • Materials: 3 elements are used in the main structure of the building.
    • limestone
    • brick
    • stone
  • Roofing : Coverage of this building is varied there are 4 different types :
    • roof with long tails
    • rump
    • dome
    • roof
  • Materials (roofing) :
    • the main material of this building is slate
  • Other about the composition roofs :
    • No information on the coverage of the place.
  • Floors :
    • floor type : 1 floor square
  • Stairs : 2 types of stairs have been cataloged in this monument, stairs are of type :
    • staircase
    • staircase
  • Decoration of the building :
    • The decor consists of 'masonry'
  • Representation :
    • the only ornament listed is 'pediment'
  • Typology :
    • No information about typology.
  • Plan : 2 types of plan in this building
    • regular plan
    • Plan regular U

Monument and history of the place

  • Elements protected MH (historical monument) :
    • Any particular element of the building is subject to protection in our database.
  • Constituent areas : 3 distinct parts in the constitution of this place :
    • park
    • terminal
    • by
  • Parties constituantes étudiées :
    • no information.
  • Use :
    • We do not know the different uses that have been made of this construction.

Other

  • Other :
    • other Information : pediment supposed to have worn arms of the family of of bryas property of the municipality
  • Picture : 11137fa030f76691b3d30bee351ef553.jpg
  • Author of the survey MH : Anciaux Vincent
  • Mérimée reference : IA08000127

Contributions documentaries made by visitors

Castle of the counts of Bryas, French Heritage monument to Fumay. Picture of Lomyre
château des comtes de Bryas, fumay
Contact contributor with his mail for more information.

Castle of the counts of Bryas, French Heritage monument to Fumay. Picture of Lomyre
château des comtes de Bryas, fumay

source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.

Participate in the increase of the database

You have "old photos" of the monument or recent, you know this monument and want to share your photos, knowledge, stories about him, click here.

The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.