Castle of Malportel to Gaudies
The Castle, facing South, is close to a former Ford on the Hers. The main body consists of a logis flanked by 2 dependencies. 2 round towers are located on the building, at the corner is, other polygonal based not visible from the outside, at the corner of logis and the wing is. The front courtyard of the main building, not authorised, has 3 levels of openings over a casement of 3 eras of construction, sloped limestone, brick arched segmental and cement. Conversely, the back cover is authorised with redesigns. The walls of the main building are coated with only decoration a painted Sundial. The stair Tower has access to each level. Its limestone rubble walls are coated with lime. A gunboat Archer is maintained on the side of the Hers. 2 Lateral wings are 3 spans marshalled different bays: arched gates framed by brick bays of aeration stone limestone, combining brick and stone, and Windows with segmental arched brick frames. In decor, 2 bands framing the 2nd level, oculi diamond, a painted panel located under the roof and a sponge painted white with 2 rows of tiles framed by 2 rows with 3 rows of tiles or bricks are made. The 3-storey communicate with the main building by a slight drop. This U frame is covered by a roof tile 2-sided hollow. The annexes are, to the East, from the back wall of the building destroyed in 1942, then a set with a former stables and housing guards with berries to the reworked brick frames, in limestone rubble walls covered with a coating of flush. The cover is 2 parts in mechanical tile roof. The other side of the path, in the alignment of the track is a series of hangars. Other dependency: a bread oven topped with a Dovecote on which is carved a cave. It features a coating covering it with a chaining of angle cut limestone, a sponge cake consisting of 3 rows of tiles and a roof with 2 long pans, covered in tile hollow with a spur Ridge. The built complex is located within a landscaped garden formed wooded spaces, hedges, orchards and rows of plane trees. François de Baron, viguier in Pamiers, made build the castle in 1565, on roturieres land of Malportel. There is always the revamped House, sloped limestone bays and a gunboat Archer. In 1632, Catherine de Baron, heiress, daughter of one of the commanders of the castle of Pamiers, also viguier of this city, resides in Malportel. In 1645, she married François of Johannis de Gargas of Manning, coming from a family of Capitol, which became Lord of the place. The castle is sparsely inhabited by the 2nd half of the 17th century at the beginning of the 18th century, until that Caesar, son of François de Gargas, undertake the restoration of the manor house where he was born. The primitive building is expanded and clarified with the construction of 2 wings framing and a small courtyard. The façade is framed by two towers, is modified, the polygonal Tower is drowned in the new building forming a wing, while the round tower is projecting. Dates brought 1753 and 1756, respectively on the wing is and the logis, correspond to this campaign, the painted decorations, the Genoese and the segmental arched brick frames are witnesses. Probably at the same time are built of annexes, which the master servant attached to the wing housing is. The whole is completed by a large garden. The castle is regularly inhabited until the end of the 1760s. A chapel, today ' hui disappeared, is mentioned from 1645 until the 4th quarter of the 18th century. The Manor House of Malportel was sold to the Revolution. In 1942, a fire destroyed the barn and the housing of the master servant whose remaining walls. The property was sold in 1972 and the building was unoccupied and is more maintained. In 1983, the area was bought and major works are carried out: new coatings, modification of the Western facade of the main body and drilling of new berries to cement frames.
Source: Ministry of Culture, France
Crédit photo : Contributeur anonyme (Castle of Malportel, gaudies)
Castle of Malportel, The Castle, facing South, is close to a former Ford on the Hers. The main body consists of a logis flanked by 2 dependencies. 2 round towers are located on the (...) Castle of Malportel, French Heritage monument to Gaudies gaudies, ariege
The complete official record is available at service régional de l'inventaire Midi-Pyrénées37 bis, rue Roquelaire 31080 Toulouse Cedex - 05.61.62.01.45
Contributions documentaries made by visitors
Voir cette photo en grand
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.