Parish Church Saint-Genès, French Heritage monument to Arzens
The Church consists of a single nave of four bays followed by a narrower and lower, pentagonal apse vaulted warheads. The origin, composed of three bays of nave nave was sprung. This building of small surprises in the width of the nave and the apse. The "Agnus Dei" is carved on the keystone of the apse and the ribs of the branches of warheads are underlined by a thick rim. The capitals in the last two arcs diaphragms of the nave are carved with plant motifs produced in the form of a banner. Caps carved gross head of the chapels of the apse and the last Bay of the nave were carved by the same workshop. The room on the ground floor of the belfry Tower, established North of the third Bay of the nave presents key mask of foliage for beautiful execution. Mentioned for the first time in the investigation of 1269, the Church was rebuilt, based on stylistic analysis, in the 2nd quarter of the 14th century. Arzens was attached in 1310 in the stately home of Armagnac, whose arms are found on the keys to the vault of the Church. Towards the beginning of the 15th century, cardinal John of Armagnac procura church a relic of the Crown of thorns and a chapel was built in order to receive it. The first Bay of the nave was built at an unspecified date. The Church received major restorations in the 19th century. In 1866, the foothills were resumed and a chapel was built. In 1885, the false arch brick and plaster was rebuilt, Windows of the choir were redone and the rose of the western façade was extended.
Source: Ministry of Culture, France
Crédit photo : webmaster (Parish Church Saint-Genès, arzens)
Parish Church Saint-Genès, The Church consists of a single nave of four bays followed by a narrower and lower, pentagonal apse vaulted warheads. The origin, composed of three bays of (...) Parish Church Saint-Genès, French Heritage monument to Arzens arzens, aude
The complete official record is available at Région Languedoc-Roussillon - Service chargé de l'inventaireBâtiment le BELEM - 355, rue Vendémiaire 34 000 Montpellier - 04.67.22.86.86
Contributions documentaries made by visitors
Voir cette photo en grand
Contact contributor with his mail for more information.
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.