Parish Church Saint-Vincent, French Heritage monument to Douzens

The nave, covered with a false canopy of warheads, is followed by a seven-sided apse. The vaults are not original and cannot bring us information. On the other hand, the capitals carved with foliage patterns are characteristic of the middle of the 14th century. The capitals of the diaphragm arches are carved foliage patterns. The Church is fully supported by buttresses and a Bell Tower wall, openwork of two small bays, offset from the axis of the building Crown the southern part of the western façade. Portal molded by arching to the damaged tents overlooking the 2nd Bay of the nave. Two South side chapels vaulted warheads onto the last Bay of the nave. The last Bay of the nave is bordered by a side chapel vaulted warheads. The shallow chapels of the 1st and 2nd Bay of the nave are modern and the North Chapel of the 3rd Bay of the nave has been highly redesigned only the capitals are from the time of the construction of the building. Douzens was the seat of a commandery of the Temple. The Church Saint-Vincent is mentioned as parish survey of 1269. It was served by a perpetual vicar paid by la commanderie. The Church was rebuilt around the middle of the 14th century. In 1869, coverage of the apse was rebuilt and covered with dummy vaults as well as the robust nave. The Windows of the two North chapels were rebuilt in 1892.

Source: Ministry of Culture, France

Parish Church Saint-Vincent

Reported to be remarkable heritage of quality.

Structural information

Parish Church Saint-Vincent, The nave, covered with a false canopy of warheads, is followed by a seven-sided apse. The vaults are not original and cannot bring us information. On the other (...) Parish Church Saint-Vincent, French Heritage monument to Douzens douzens, aude

Location and general information

  • identifier : 9670
  • item : église paroissiale Saint-Vincent
  • Location of the building :
    • Languedoc-Roussillon
    • Douzens
  • INSEE code of the municipality : 11122
  • Zip code of the municipality : 11700
  • Order in the communal list : 1
  • Name of the building : The building is designated by the following 2 names :
    • church
    • parish church
  • State :
    • the current state of the monument is not known.

Dates and times

  • Period of construction : 2 different epochs of evolution of the building.
    • 14th century
    • mid 14th century
  • Investigation : 1999
  • Date taken into account : 2002/10/04

Construction, architecture and style

  • Materials: 2 elements are used in the main structure of the building.
    • average unit
    • sandstone
  • Roofing : Coverage of this building is varied there are 4 different types :
    • roof with long tails
    • rump
    • polygonal hipped
    • roof
  • Materials (roofing) :
    • the main material of this building is hollow tile
  • Other about the composition roofs : 2 modes of coverage are listed
    • ribbed vault
    • wood frame apparent
  • Floors :
    • floor type : 1 vessel
  • Stairs :
    • No stairs mentioned on this construction.
  • Decoration of the building :
    • The decor consists of 'sculpture'
  • Representation :
    • the only ornament listed is 'featured ornament'
  • Typology : The typology consists of 3 elements
    • bell tower
    • nave framed
    • polygonal apse lower and narrower
  • Plan :
    • Plan Type 'elongated plane'

Monument and history of the place

  • Interest of the building : Les motifs sculptés des chapiteaux des arcs diaphragmes de la nef et de l'abside sont richement sculptés. Les consoles de la chapelle sud de la 1ère travée représentent un cycle iconographique complet relatif à la cérémonie de la consécration de l'édifice.; sculpture
  • Elements protected MH (historical monument) :
    • Any particular element of the building is subject to protection in our database.
  • Constituent areas :
    • no information.
  • Parties constituantes étudiées :
    • no information.
  • Use :
    • We do not know the different uses that have been made of this construction.

Other

  • Other :
    • other Information : consoles carved by monks and bishops acolytes of the southern Chapel of the last Bay of the nave property of the municipality
  • Author of the survey MH : Béa Adeline
  • Mérimée reference : IA11000058

The complete official record is available at service régional de l'inventaire Languedoc-RoussillonB.P. 2051 - 5, rue de la Salle l'Evêque 34026 Montpellier - 04.67.02.32.00


source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.

Participate in the increase of the database

You have "old photos" of the monument or recent, you know this monument and want to share your photos, knowledge, stories about him, click here.

The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.