Four castles (ruins), French Heritage monument to Lastours

Lastours, on Orbiel, not very considerable commune; population, 196 individuals in 35 houses; fact part of the branch of Villaniere.

The village of Lastours took its name of the castles or turns of Cabaret, which are also the origin of the denomination of Cabardes, that carries the surrounding country. These castles are of a high antiquity, since in year 585 that Recarede, prince visigoth, seized some, they passed for very-important fortresses. Gregoire de Tours calls them Caput arietis castrated. The term of Cabaret, under which they are known in the History of Languedoc, answers the Latin name; in the language of the country, cab wants to say head, and aret, ram. The mountain on which they are places resembles indeed the head of this animal. They are still named the Turns of Cabaret or Cabardez. The History of Languedoc counts only two of them; one can about it however distinguish three. The first castle is called Cabaret; the second is simply a tower, nommee Tour regine; third, which is raised the most, the name of Fleur-of spine has, and some scholars believed to see in this denomination the type of a description of Arioste.

The castles of Cabaret supported, in various centuries, of the obstinate seats. Most memorable is that or cross them were push back, in 1209. In addition to resistance of this station, Simon de Montfort, having made with the castle of Brara, 1 year according to, a hundred prisoners, made them burst the eyes and cut the nose, and sent them thus has Cabaret, under the control of the one of them, has which it had leaves an eye to carry out the others. Lastly, in 1211, Pierre Roger, lord of these castles, subjected themselves have Simon de Montfort, who compensated it by other fields, and thus acquired, without blow to ferir, a very-strong place.

It is claimed that there exists an underground communication of quotes of Carcassonne to the castles of Cabaret, or Mow turns.

The main thing of these castles had a governor under the name of Chatelain of Cabaret, relates, in 1300, to the state of the king for the sum of 200 pounds pledges per annum. The governor of the other castle, under the title of lord of the manor of Turn-New in Pui de Cabaret, had only 40 books of pledges. These two titles were joined together in only one at the fifteenth century; and there was not any more whereas one governor of the turns of Cabaret.

The inhabitants of the chatellenie of the turns of Cabardez enjoyed several privileges. Loads for an unmemorable time of the guard of the castles, as of all necessary repairs has their maintenance, they had obtained our kings the exemption of going to the war and paying subsidies. The first of these privileges results from an investigation made in 1276, which proves that inhabitants of this chatellenie were renvoyes army, by the reason which they were to be free of the military service. The exemption of all sizes, subsidies and impositions, right of leude and other rights, is contained in an act of 1378, and was successively confirmee by our kings, and more recently by Louis XIV, in 1643; by Louis XV, in 1745, and by Louis XVI, in 1786. In these acts, the turns of Cabardez are still qualifiees of important fortress. They present almost today only debris which makes from there the approach rather difficult.

Source: States of Languedoc and Department of the Aude by Claude Joseph Finds (baron) 1818.

Four castles (ruins)
(Four castles (ruins), lastours)


Heritage listed, historical monument, or having been under investigation

Structural information

Four castles (ruins), « Four castles (ruins) » is a construction of the city of Lastours (France, Aude). Four castles (ruins), French Heritage monument to Lastours lastours, aude

Location and general information

  • identifier : 9732
  • item : Quatre châteaux (ruines)
  • Location of the building :
    • Languedoc-Roussillon
    • Lastours
  • INSEE code of the municipality : 11194
  • Zip code of the municipality : 11600
  • Order in the communal list : 2
  • Name of the building :
    • The building is designated as follows : castle
  • State :
    • current state of the monument : remains

Dates and times

  • Period of construction : 3 different epochs of evolution of the building.
    • 12th century
    • 13th century
    • 16th century
  • Date of protection : 1905/10/31 : classé MH
  • Date taken into account : 1993/10/21

Construction, architecture and style

  • Materials:
    • We do not have this information.
  • Roofing :
    • We do not have this information.
  • Materials (roofing) :
    • We do not have this information.
  • Other about the composition roofs :
    • No information on the coverage of the place.
  • Floors :
    • any information about this construction.
  • Stairs :
    • No stairs mentioned on this construction.
  • Decoration of the building :
    • No information about decoration.
  • Representation :
    • No information on the ornamentation of the place.
  • Typology :
    • No information about typology.
  • Plan :
    • We do not know the type of plan for this building.

Monument and history of the place

  • Elements protected MH (historical monument) :
    • Any particular element of the building is subject to protection in our database.
  • Constituent areas :
    • no information.
  • Parties constituantes étudiées :
    • no information.
  • Use :
    • We do not know the different uses that have been made of this construction.

Other

  • Other :
    • other Information : owned by the 1992 municipality
  • Picture : c61e5d614d5d68ba436271d1750f676e.jpg
  • Details : Quatre châteaux (ruines) : classement par arrêté du 31 octobre 1905
  • Mérimée reference : PA00102727

Contributions documentaries made by visitors

Four castles (ruins), French Heritage monument to Lastours. Picture of Promenades photographiques
Quatre châteaux (ruines), lastours
Description of this building by Promenades photographiques :

Licence Creative Commons. Origine: Châteaux de Lastours sur all-free-photos.com

Contact contributor with his mail for more information.

Four castles (ruins), French Heritage monument to Lastours. Picture of Promenades photographiques
Quatre châteaux (ruines), lastours
Description of this building by Promenades photographiques :

Licence Creative Commons. Origine: Châteaux de Lastours sur all-free-photos.com

Four castles (ruins), French Heritage monument to Lastours. Picture of Promenades photographiques
Quatre châteaux (ruines), lastours
Description of this building by Promenades photographiques :

Licence Creative Commons. Origine: Châteaux de Lastours sur all-free-photos.com


source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.

Participate in the increase of the database

You have "old photos" of the monument or recent, you know this monument and want to share your photos, knowledge, stories about him, click here.

The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.