Parish Church Saint-Étienne, French Heritage monument to Pepieux
Single five-nave plan spans covered initially a wooden frame on arcs diaphragms and lined with side chapels erected later, the Church was completed with a bedside tripartite, consisting of a pentagonal apse established after a span of chorus, and two square apses which the confined and open on the choir and the nave. The Bell Tower was built on the first Bay of the nave, and is served by an outside staircase. The western façade shows the changes but the entry is practiced in the north portal surmounted by a gable, surrounded by pinnacles. Of long Lancet Windows are open in the choir and the South lateral wall while those in the North lateral wall have been sealed during the construction of the side chapels. The "ecclesia de Pipianis" is mentioned in 1142, it was dedicated to the Invention of Saint-Etienne and stood outside until the 19th century. In 1232, she was a priest of the diocese of Narbonne and in 1274, Archbishop Pierre de Montbrun gave the Church and its revenues to the cathedral chapter mense. It was certainly rebuilt in the 2nd quarter of the 14th century, since it was completed in 1355, when the village and the Church were burned by the Black Prince. The Archbishop of Narbonne granted by a 1356 deed to trees in the woods of Quillan, in all likelihood to rebuild the beams. A fragment of the altar bears the date of 1546, but it can be the date of completion of the building. The tower was repaired and raised in 1565. The upper part and the arrow are rebuilt in 1865. In 1896, the nave is covered with false vaults, the South Windows of the nave exhaussees and cheese, a new sacristy built.
Source: Ministry of Culture, France
Parish Church Saint-Étienne, Single five-nave plan spans covered initially a wooden frame on arcs diaphragms and lined with side chapels erected later, the Church was completed with a (...) Parish Church Saint-Étienne, French Heritage monument to Pepieux pepieux, aude
The complete official record is available at service régional de l'inventaire Languedoc-RoussillonB.P. 2051 - 5, rue de la Salle l'Evêque 34026 Montpellier - 04.67.02.32.00
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.