The department was creates with the French Revolution, on March 4, 1790 pursuant to the law of December 22, 1789, from the northern half of the province of Alsace (Low-Alsace).
The limits of the Low-Rhine were modifiees has many recoveries:
- in 1793, it absorbed the counts de lately additional Drulingen and Sarrewerden by France;
- in 1795, the area of Schirmeck - which did not speak the Alsatian one - was to him retiree and rattachee in the Vosges;
- in 1808, territories in the east of the Rhine were attach to him, in particular the town of Kehl;
- in 1814, it lost all the territories in the east of the Rhine but gained territories in the north of Lauter, coming from the old department from the Mount-Thunder, in particular the town of Pram;
- in 1815, it lost all the territories in the north of Lauter;
- in 1871, it was entirely additional by Germany (milked of Frankfurt) and became then Bezirk Unterelsass within Reichsland Elsass-Lothringen;
- in 1919, it became again French (milked of Versailles) and kept the territories which Germany had taken at the department of the Vosges in 1871 (canton of Schirmeck and canton of Saales).
- in 1944, Kehl is again attaches to him before being reassigns in FRG in 1953.Geography
The department of the Low-Rhine belongs to the Alsace area. It is bordering on the departments of Haut-Rhin in the south, the Vosges and Meurthe-et-Moselle in south-west, of the Moselle in the west, as well as Germany, in the east along the Rhine and north.
latest Department notices
Known as Auberge A la tuilerie, French Heritage monument to Wasselonne 9
The auberge la Tuilerie is near the site of the former tile ... factory (which appears on the cadastral map of 1832). The name is written in French and German on a (...) Known as Auberge A la tuilerie, French Heritage monument to Wasselonne
Church Saint-Adelphe to Neuwiller les saverne
The Church of Saint-Adelphe is of Byzantine style and dates back to ... the twelfth century. There are a few years that the choir of this church, which was in the Gothic style, was demolished due to dilapidation. The provision in the plan was the crucial form with aisles; at both ends of the front are two round towers which go beyond the birth of the roof
Cathedral of Strasbourg
At a time where the french flag again at the top of ... the arrow of Strasbourg, where the old cathedral speaks in the eyes and hearts of all as a symbol of the present provinces, it seems natural to seek to know his story and familiarize yourself with its beauties. We will see it just now as a whole and in its details, but before coming to the views, we will recall quickly what we know different phases of its construction, its architects, events which she was theatre.
Chocolate factory of the French company of chocolates and teas, then l Schall et Cie, then commercial building, French Heritage monument to Strasbourg 55
« Chocolate factory of the French company of chocolates and teas, then ... l Schall et Cie, then commercial building » is a construction of the city of Strasbourg (France, Bas rhin). Chocolate factory of the French company of chocolates and teas, then l Schall et Cie, then commercial building, French Heritage monument to Strasbourg
Convent of Dominican of the Virgin, said convent of Dominican Sylo, French Heritage monument to Selestat 25
Church in a capped vessel (currently intersected by ceilings); choir vaulted warheads; ... Conventual building with a square floor first installation of sisters of (...) Convent of Dominican of the Virgin, said convent of Dominican Sylo, French Heritage monument to Selestat