Temple, French Heritage monument to Balbronn

The wall of the fortified, reduced the height of the chemin de ronde cemetery is still in place, except in the southeast corner. It is only the centre plate of the front door. The rectangular nave, capped, is illuminated by the primitive arched bays, top placed. Some have been replaced by larger Windows. The two arches in arches of the North wall are chapels destroyed (for baptism and the dead). At the top of the door of entry into brace is the inscription Maria. The housing of the plank which internally closed the door is still visible in the thickness of the wall. Tower-half off-work flank the nave at the end of the south wall. The first level is in stone, except in the nave. The ground floor was covered by a vault that has been deleted. There remains only the corner caps. Access to the floors could not be done since the Interior of the nave by a wooden ladder leading to a door, to the second level. Outside, it is composed of coated sandstone rubble. He is summoned by a frieze with arches arches, based on strings of angle and pilasters, all made of stone. The third level is not frieze of ch-loops. The last level, corresponding to the House of the bells, is pierced bays gemelled arches at central camblock and a large Bay to mount the bells to the South. The same width as the nave Choir has a central span covered with warheads, flanked by arched side chapels of edges. Semicircular arches mark the entrance. The Church of Balbronn, whose architectural chronology is not yet clearly established, is mentioned in the 12th century. The nave seems to be dated from this period. The West basement is attributed, by some authors, pre-Romanesque period (11th century?). The tower is dated to the second half of the 12th century. Work was carried out during the following centuries, especially in the 15th century, 16th century and 17th century. The door of the nave was rebuilt around 1500. From 1687, date of the introduction of the principle of simultaneity, the choir was reserved for Catholics and the Protestant nave. A restoration of the Bell Tower is mentioned in 1673. During work in the choir in 1861, it was discovered the gravestone of Hans von Mittelhausen (lost since). The totality of the work amounted to 31 839, 52 mark. At the beginning of the 20th century, after the abolition of the simultaneum, the Catholics built their own building. In 1907, 1908, a complete restoration of the old church was undertaken under the direction of the Weigend de Barr architect and contractor Zirn from Flexbourg. The work, which mainly saw the choir, were funded by f. Lorenz Falk, who made his fortune in the United States. The last restoration dates back to 1976.

Source: Ministry of Culture, France

Crédit photo : (Temple, balbronn)

Reported to be remarkable heritage of quality.

Structural information

Temple, The wall of the fortified, reduced the height of the chemin de ronde cemetery is still in place, except in the southeast corner. It is only the centre plate of (...) Temple, French Heritage monument to Balbronn balbronn, bas rhin

Location and general information

  • identifier : 106576
  • item : temple
  • Location of the building :
    • Alsace
    • Bas-Rhin
    • Balbronn
  • Address : place du Pasteur-Albert-Kiefer
  • INSEE code of the municipality : 67018
  • Zip code of the municipality : 67310
  • Order in the communal list : 22
  • Name of the building :
    • The building is designated as follows : temple
  • State :
    • the current state of the monument is not known.

Dates and times

  • Period of construction :
    • We have no information on the time of construction of this monument.
  • Investigation : 1996
  • Date of protection : 1990/09/10 : inscrit MH
  • Date taken into account : 1998/12/21

Construction, architecture and style

  • Materials: 5 elements are used in the main structure of the building.
    • rubble
    • coating
    • ashlar
    • stone
    • sandstone
  • Roofing :
    • We do not have this information.
  • Materials (roofing) :
    • We do not have this information.
  • Other about the composition roofs :
    • No information on the coverage of the place.
  • Floors :
    • floor type : 1 vessel
  • Stairs :
    • No stairs mentioned on this construction.
  • Decoration of the building :
    • No information about decoration.
  • Representation :
    • No information on the ornamentation of the place.
  • Typology :
    • The only information on the typology 'bell tower'
  • Plan :
    • We do not know the type of plan for this building.

Monument and history of the place

  • Elements protected MH (historical monument) :
    • Any particular element of the building is subject to protection in our database.
  • Constituent areas :
    • a constituent part in this construction : cemetery
  • Parties constituantes étudiées :
    • no information.
  • Use :
    • We do not know the different uses that have been made of this construction.


  • Other :
    • No additional information available in our database.
  • Authors of the survey MH :
    • Poinsot Gilbert
    • Rachedi Abdessalem
  • Mérimée reference : IA67006522

The complete official record is available at Région Alsace - Service de l'Inventaire du Patrimoine culturelPalais du Rhin - 2 Place de la République 67000 Strasbourg -

Contributions documentaries made by visitors

Photo de Schimberlé Eddy est l'image principale de cette notice.

Voir cette photo en grand

Contact contributor with his mail for more information.

Temple, French Heritage monument to Balbronn. Picture of Schimberlé Eddy
temple, balbronn
Temple, French Heritage monument to Balbronn. Picture of Schimberlé Eddy
temple, balbronn
Description of this building by Schimberlé Eddy :

Orgue d'origine Silbermann 1747, buffet MH, tuyaux épars de J A Silbermann, et tuyaux d'Allemagne du Sud du XVIIe et XVIIIe siècle rare en France, agrandie par les Frères Link en 19O8.


Schimberlé Eddy says of the history of this building :


Main de fer du chevalier Hans von Mittelhausen, bailli à Balbronn et habitant son château.

Il repose au pied de la chaire avec son épouse Barbara Hiflerin.


source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.

Participate in the increase of the database

You have "old photos" of the monument or recent, you know this monument and want to share your photos, knowledge, stories about him, click here.

The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.