The department was creates with the French Revolution, on March 4, 1790 pursuant to the law of December 22, 1789, starting from the old provinces of Aunis and Saintonge, with Saintes like chief town. The inhabitants of Saintonge and Aunis provided important quotas of emigrants who are fixed in News-France (Acadie and Quebec). Many words of the vocabulary saintongeais remain in the Franco-Canadian language of today.
In 1810, Napoleon through an imperial decree transferred the chief town to the La Rochelle.
During the Second world war, the department was invaded by the German and just army at the occupied Zone. In order to secure against possible unloading, occupants confierent with organization Todt mission to strengthen littoral, which explains the many vestiges of blockhouses which strew the Charente-native dimensions, in particular on the beaches of the peninsula of Arvert or the island of Oleron.
At the end of the conflict, only two pockets of resistance German remained in the department: pockets of the La Rochelle, in north, and of Royan, in the south.
The town of Royan was almost entirely destroyed in a bombardment of Royal Air Force on January 5, 1945, but was liberee by the FFI only in April of this same year.
The pocket of the La Rochelle was reduced on May 9, 1945, following an agreement signs between the German admiral Schirlitz and the French commander Meyer.
General aspects of the department
The department of the Charente-Maritime belongs administratively to the Poitou-Charentes of which it occupies the south-western quarter of the area.
It is the single department of Poitou-Charentes has to have a maritime frontage.
Situee in the middle of the Atlantic littoral of France, the Charente-Maritime is bordering on five departments. With north, it confines with the Vend?e, with the North-East with Two-Separate, with east with Charente - department with which it shares the biggest administrative length -, in south-east with the Dordogne and, in the south with the Gironde.
Two areas border its septentrional and southernmost limits: countries of the Loire and Aquitaine.
Lastly, in south-west, the department has a vast opening on the estuary of the Gironde from which it occupies Right Bank.
The department forms the septentrional part of the Aquitanian Basin or it is separated from the Armorican Solid mass by the vast depression of the Marsh poitevin, while in the North-East, the Threshold of Poitou from which it occupies the southernmost fringe separate Paris basin.
Its culminating point (173 bills of quantities) east locates in the wood of Chantemerliere (commune of Against) in the North-East of the department.
With a surface of 6.864 km ?, it occupies the second rank in Poitou-Charentes, it is however more the people with, in 2007,605 410 inhabitants.
latest Department notices
Parish Church of St. John the Baptist, French Heritage monument to St jean de liversay 2
Remains of the 15th century; important changes in the 17th century; repairs ... in 1868 under the direction of F.V.Vallet and under the direction of Corbineau in (...) Parish Church of St. John the Baptist, French Heritage monument to St jean de liversay
Abbey of Cistercians Notre-Dame, French Heritage monument to La flotte 1
Abbey founded between 1156 and 1179 by Isaac of l'Etoile and Jean ... de Trizay at the request of Elba de Mauléon Lord of Re; burned in 1294; probably rebuilt in (...) Abbey of Cistercians Notre-Dame, French Heritage monument to La flotte
Saint-Martin Church to Esnandes
The Church of Esnandes is less rich and more severe than that ... of Beaumont. It has primitive foothills, transept and towers of angles; but it will be seen that it is proportionally greater, as befitted its position isolated and discovered. It is constructed in beautiful medium unit (of Jurassic limestone) and less elongated than that of Beaumont; It is closer as a result of the shape of a cube.