The city of Bourges, 615 years before the Christian era, was already the capital of Gaul, the renowned city of the Bituriges, and Queen of the Gallic cities. César during his invasion besieged it, captured, despite the bravery of its defenders, and made the metropolis of Aquitaine. Since then, the territory of the Bituriges, i.e. the Berry, undergoes the Roman domination, and changed master to move to the power of the Franks during the 5th century. At that time, Governors of the Frankish provinces abstained willingly of their feudal duties, and tended to break free of any Royal overlordship; they took the title of counts, and changed their Government in hereditary fiefs. So happened the Berry and its governors who became counts of Bourges. For two centuries, they gave rulers in their provinces that the Normans ravaged sometimes, and their rights were if property acquired at the expense of the weak successors of Charlemagne, that one of them, wanting to make his departure for the Holy Land funds, sold 60 000 soils of gold his County to King Philippe Ier.
For 250 years, Berry remained attached to the Crown of France, until the moment where King John made a Duché-pairie in favour of his third son. This Duchy passed successively, in the form of appanage, the children of Charles VI, son of Charles VII, served as dower to different Queens of France, and was finally incorporated by Louis XI to the royal domain.
In the 16th century, the wars of religion disturbed this country so hard to fix; This was in his campaigns that Calvin made his first preaching and enrolled its first proselytes. The Berry was then troubled by the ideas of reform, and especially by the reformers who captured his capital and pillaged completely; but he counted long years of peace during the reign of Henri IV, and knew even evade the France political strife and the influence of its most determined leaders. Also, during the minority of Louis XIII, its territory had to suffer from the war during a few months.
This was in the Berry is tried for the first time, under Louis XVI, the system of provincial governments, which led the departmental division of the France. In 1790, the Cher department was formed with some portions of the Berry and the Bourbonnais.
During the Revolution, the new Department was able to avoid the excesses of the terror; When, after the disasters of 1815, the army of the Loire was licensed, this dismissal occurred in large part on its territory, but without trouble, without agitation, and these brave soldiers who fought so gloriously under the Tricolor, always devoted to their homeland, selfless and pure, peacefully returned home. It was not the robbers of the Loire, as the restoration was to qualify, but soldiers reverted to citizens returning to the domestic home.
The Cher was formerly with the Department of Indre the province of Berry. It is now part of the Central Region and is bordered by the departments of Indre, Loir-et-Cher, Loiret, nièvre, Allier and Creuse.
Backed in the South to the foothills of the Auvergne region, East to the rolling hills of Sancerre (434 m) bordered by the course of the Loire, the Department opens on the champagne berrichonne region West and Northwest on the Sologne plain. Its highest point is the MA (504 m). The expensive out of the Department is the lowest altitude: 89 m.
Many rivers run through its territory, whose names are found mixed with municipal place names: Auron, the Sauldre, the Yèvre, Vauvise, the Cher.
Natural regions :
- the champagne berrichonne region (West and Southwest), intensive cultivation and the vineyards of the Quincy region
- Sologne (North-West), forest region
- Sancerre, the country-Fort (northeast), areas of polyculture
- Le Boischaut
- the Haute Marche (South), polyculture
- the Val de Germigny former region farmed and polyculture
- the Val de Loire
latest Department notices
Church Sainte-Gemme, French Heritage monument to Ste gemme en sancerrois 1
This church dates from the 13th century. Damaged during the wars of ... Religion, it was restored in 1601, at the initiative of the Ruellé Canon, as indicated by (...) Church Sainte-Gemme, French Heritage monument to Ste gemme en sancerrois
Church Saint-Maurice to Cuffy
The Church of Cuffy seems well prior to the 12th century, judging ... by the square pillars supporting the poles of the choir. At that time, it had renounced this kind of construction, designed by a frankly, i.e. roughly Romanesque architecture. The sculptures of the Church are various time maybe some back at the beginning of the 13th century; but the choir in which belong at the end of the 16th century, may be even in the first years of the 17th century.
Castle to Apremont-sur-Allier
The Castle commanded the only road along the River, where his position ... fortified in the middle ages. After the civil war between Armagnacs and Burgundians, the building was rebuilt in the second half of the 15th century. Five towers linked by curtain walls may date from this campaign. At the beginning of the 17th century, the logis is raised a floor and drilled new arrays.
Guétin canal bridge to Cuffy
Placed under the responsibility of the vigorous Chief Engineer, engineer Jullien is ... responsible for establishing crossing Allier by the canal lateral to the Loire. After having definitively rejected the idea of a level crossing, the Council of the Ponts and chaussées decides for a canal bridge in masonry in May 1827.
Channel of waterway (canal latéral à la Loire) Lorraine power, French Heritage monument to Apremont sur allier 3
3.4 Kilometres long, the channel of the Lorraine had a 1.60 m. ... draught it ends with a site of lock consisting of a circular lock, a lock House and a dam. This (...) Channel of waterway (canal latéral à la Loire) Lorraine power, French Heritage monument to Apremont sur allier
Lock (canal latéral à la Loire) Lorraine site, French Heritage monument to Apremont sur allier 4
The site of the Lorraine lock consists of a circular lock, a ... lock House, a bridge on lock and dam on the River Allier. The circular lock has a sas of 32 metres (...) Lock (canal latéral à la Loire) Lorraine site, French Heritage monument to Apremont sur allier
Church Collegiate Church Saint-Austregesile, French Heritage monument to St outrille 1
This church was a dependency of the Collegiate Church of Saint-Austregesile or ... Saint-Outrille-du-Château in Bourges. The construction of the choir began at the (...) Church Collegiate Church Saint-Austregesile, French Heritage monument to St outrille
Port (canal latéral à la Loire), French Heritage monument to Marseille les aubigny 1
The port of Marseilles-les-Aubigny, located at the point of meeting of the ... Loire lateral canal and the canal de Berry was the place of many transshipments (...) Port (canal latéral à la Loire), French Heritage monument to Marseille les aubigny
Site of the Aubois (canal latéral à la Loire) lock, French Heritage monument to Marseille les aubigny 2
The site consists of a lock with and a canal to the ... suite, a fixed bridge on lock and a lock House. The sas lock originally measured 30 x 5.20. It was expanded (...) Site of the Aubois (canal latéral à la Loire) lock, French Heritage monument to Marseille les aubigny