Church Saint-Maurice to Cuffy

Cuffy, we meet up the Loire's course, had in the middle ages an important feudal existence, since it was the seat of one of the thirty-two châtellenies of the Duchy of Nevers. But it no longer sees only ruins of its castle, military monument from the 13th century, which may yet follow on Earth the extensive development, and that imagination restores with its powerful towers, its walls crenelated offering a covered way behind their battlements, its keep terrific, flanked by turrets, and its deep moats surrounding all. Among the buildings collapsed by this great feudal residence, note restored parts and embellished at the time where the severe architecture of the castles began to adorn themselves of sculptures, that is to say in the 15th and 16th centuries. These embellishments were due no doubt to the counts of Nevers, who lived in often, say the historians of the country, the seigneurial Manor Cuffy. It was the birthplace of Marie d'Albret, who became Duchess of Cleves. During the minority of Louis XIII, this castle, occupied by soldiers of the Duke of Nevers, while the Duchess herself defended the city was besieged by Marshal de Montigny; He took it and rasa it.

The Church of Cuffy seems well prior to the 12th century, judging by the square pillars supporting the poles of the choir. At that time, it had renounced this kind of construction, designed by a frankly, i.e. roughly Romanesque architecture. The sculptures of the Church are various time maybe some back at the beginning of the 13th century; but the choir in which belong at the end of the 16th century, may be even in the first years of the 17th century.

Source: La Loire historic, picturesque and biography by Georges Touchard - Lafosse 1851.

Church Saint-Maurice
Crédit photo : (Church Saint-Maurice, cuffy)


Heritage listed, historical monument, or having been under investigation

Structural information

Church Saint-Maurice, The Church of Cuffy seems well prior to the 12th century, judging by the square pillars supporting the poles of the choir. At that time, it had renounced this kind of construction, designed by a frankly, i.e. roughly Romanesque architecture. The sculptures of the Church are various time maybe some back at the beginning of the 13th century; but the choir in which belong at the end of the 16th century, may be even in the first years of the 17th century. cuffy, cher

Location and general information

  • identifier : 22306
  • item : Eglise Saint-Maurice
  • Location of the building :
    • Cher
    • Cuffy
  • INSEE code of the municipality : 18082
  • Zip code of the municipality : 18150
  • Order in the communal list : 1
  • Name of the building :
    • The building is designated as follows : church
  • State :
    • the current state of the monument is not known.

Dates and times

  • Period of construction :
    • The building dates mainly from the period : 12th century
  • Date of protection : 1911/08/30 : classé MH
  • Date taken into account : 1993/09/14

Construction, architecture and style

  • Materials:
    • We do not have this information.
  • Roofing :
    • We do not have this information.
  • Materials (roofing) :
    • We do not have this information.
  • Other about the composition roofs :
    • No information on the coverage of the place.
  • Floors :
    • any information about this construction.
  • Stairs :
    • No stairs mentioned on this construction.
  • Decoration of the building : 2 forms of decoration are present
    • stained glass
    • sculpture
  • Representation :
    • No information on the ornamentation of the place.
  • Typology :
    • No information about typology.
  • Plan :
    • We do not know the type of plan for this building.

Monument and history of the place

  • Interest of the building : Objets mobiliers protégés.
  • Elements protected MH (historical monument) :
    • Any particular element of the building is subject to protection in our database.
  • Constituent areas :
    • no information.
  • Parties constituantes étudiées :
    • no information.
  • Use :
    • This building has been assigned the following use : parish church

Other

  • Other :
    • other Information : owned by the 1992 municipality
  • Details : Eglise : classement par arrêté du 30 août 1911
  • Mérimée reference : PA00096782

Contributions documentaries made by visitors

Photo de pierre bastien est l'image principale de cette notice.

Voir cette photo en grand

Contact contributor with his mail for more information.

Church Saint-Maurice to Cuffy. Picture of pierre bastien
Eglise Saint-Maurice, cuffy
Church Saint-Maurice to Cuffy. Picture of pierre bastien
Eglise Saint-Maurice, cuffy
Church Saint-Maurice to Cuffy. Picture of pierre bastien
Eglise Saint-Maurice, cuffy
Church Saint-Maurice to Cuffy. Picture of pierre bastien
Eglise Saint-Maurice, cuffy
Church Saint-Maurice to Cuffy. Picture of pierre bastien
Eglise Saint-Maurice, cuffy
Church Saint-Maurice to Cuffy. Picture of pierre bastien
Eglise Saint-Maurice, cuffy
Church Saint-Maurice to Cuffy. Picture of pierre bastien
Eglise Saint-Maurice, cuffy
Church Saint-Maurice to Cuffy. Picture of pierre bastien
Eglise Saint-Maurice, cuffy
Church Saint-Maurice to Cuffy. Picture of pierre bastien
Eglise Saint-Maurice, cuffy
Church Saint-Maurice to Cuffy. Picture of pierre bastien
Eglise Saint-Maurice, cuffy

source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.

Participate in the increase of the database

You have "old photos" of the monument or recent, you know this monument and want to share your photos, knowledge, stories about him, click here.

The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.