The department was creates with the French Revolution, on March 4, 1790, pursuant to the law of December 22, 1789, starting from part of the province of the Limousin.
Correze belongs to the Limousin area. The departments bordering are the departments of Hollow, of High-Vienna, of the Cantal, the Puy-de-d?me, the Batch and the Dordogne.
Situee in the west of the Massif Central, it is composed of three units: the Mountain, plates and the basin of Brive. The Mountain culminates has 987 m with the Bessou mount. Of crystalline formation hercynienne, it is enough erodee. The plates are hollow by valleys encaissees which move towards the Dordogne, revivifying the relief as with the cascades of Gimel. In the south-west of Correze, the sedimentary basin of Brive enjoys a more favorable climate. One finds sandstone hills there as has Collonges-the-Red.
latest Department notices
Convent of poor Clares, French Heritage monument to Brive la gaillarde 28
All buildings are made of sandstone local said blaze, the decor and ... bays in Geraardsbergen stoneware frames. Cavaignac, former Museum building is distributed (...) Convent of poor Clares, French Heritage monument to Brive la gaillarde
Church parish-Sainte-Croix, French Heritage monument to Rosiers d egletons 6
Church built in the 12th century, which he survives the bedside and ... the southern apse; nave rebuilt in date unknown; the 14th century portal; North side chapel (...) Church parish-Sainte-Croix, French Heritage monument to Rosiers d egletons
Church parish Saint-Pardoux, French Heritage monument to Affieux 8
Building attested as early as the 12th century, the sanctuary remains partially; ... increased in the 14th century a chapel to the North and a portal to the West; (...) Church parish Saint-Pardoux, French Heritage monument to Affieux
St. Peter Parish Church, French Heritage monument to Moustier ventadour 9
Priory and parish church from the 12th century, the snack of the ... Abbey of Cluny. There is nothing of the Priory; Church rebuilt in 1494, with reuse of columns (...) St. Peter Parish Church, French Heritage monument to Moustier ventadour