Convent of poor Clares, French Heritage monument to Brive la gaillarde
All buildings are made of sandstone local said blaze, the decor and bays in Geraardsbergen stoneware frames. Cavaignac, former Museum building is distributed by a spiral staircase in a tower in half-off-work covered by a conical roof. It has two bodies in return for square, one square under a roof to rump two-storey single storey square on a drilled ground floor in a series of three large arches and a broken hip roof. The skylights to lead in masonry, arched pediment and quillees balls are characteristic of skylights from the 17th century to Brive. The body of building located on rue Blaise-Raynal, cut by the drilling of the street doctor-Mandla, comprises two-storey square under a roof to long sides and rump. On his elevation overlooking the cloister are two large bays with tracery and, before the work of 1983-1984, the start of a third, as a door to hanger broken. The staircase, replaced by an elevator, was in masonry, two straight stolen with echiffre wall, similar to a few rare staircases still remaining to Brive and its periphery, characteristic of the 17th century (hotels 24 rue Majour and 6 rue Toulzac, or castles of Lacan and Bouquet). The first settlement of the Poor Clares, founded in 1243 by the Viscounts of Turenne, stood outside the walls, to the southwest of the city, in the current suburb Champanatier. At the time wars of religion, their buildings had been destroyed, probably in 1587, they are housed inside the city walled in existing buildings, modified, expanded and supplemented at various times. In 1760, ruined by the collapse of financial Law, they met at the Benedictine of Bonnesaigne, which the ancient settlement was located on the commune of Combressol, near Meymac. Between 1792 and 1793, a part of the premises is converted to House of detention for women, then the set is sold in batches. In 1796, the municipality decides to drill through building a street leading East boulevard, originally called rue Claire or St. Clair, which became, by its extension westward to the central square, the street doctor-Mandla (see file Street). A plan drawn up in 1792 for sale by lots, before the construction of the street, shows the disposition of the various buildings. To the North, a building square, dating from the 16th and 17th century, served by a spiral staircase, with a lean-to Garden City pit
* to the West, a body of medieval house, old House, dating from the late 12th or early 13th century, destroyed in 1960 (see file House destroyed rue Charles-TARI), the Chapel and the cloister, destroyed by the construction of the street
* in the Southwest, along the rue Blaise-Raynal, another body of logis today with the remains of a series of large bays of the 13th century, probably old patrician House reused in dependence of the convent where nuns had built in the 17th century a grand staircase
* to the East, along the boulevard, home that the Abbess of Bonnesaigne was build when declared the Revolution, accompanied by an orchard and a garden (see file House 26 boulevard of the Salan). The North building, probably originally home of the superior of the Poor Clares, known from many assignments: sold to sieur Jean-Baptiste Cavaignac, earning him still locally known home Cavaignac, and then in 1830 to the seminary who settled there prior to its move in the Labenche hotel, he continued to be allocated to education, before becoming Museum municipal from 1882 to 1989known as the Rupin Museum, the name of its first curator, the scholar Ernest Rupin. In 1897, a part of the building corresponding to the former parlor, South side, is destroyed by the expansion of the St. Clair Street. The timing is altered, the access door to the staircase replaced by a window, many berries times as well as some skylights. On the sprocket, on the side of the garden, has been added the portal of the chapel of the convent of the Franciscans or Cordeliers, dating from the 1300s (destroyed place Thiers, circa 1930 convent). The building, currently undergoing renovations, must be assigned to the municipal archives, whilst the Salan boulevard House is occupied by the municipal school of music. The building at the corner of the street doctor-Mandla and rue Blaise-Raynal was restored in 1983-1984 and sold apartments. Its 17th-century staircase, and the sculpted frieze of foliage were destroyed during the work.
Source: Ministry of Culture, France
Crédit photo : Paquerette (Convent of poor Clares, brive la gaillarde)
Convent of poor Clares, All buildings are made of sandstone local said blaze, the decor and bays in Geraardsbergen stoneware frames. Cavaignac, former Museum building is distributed (...) Convent of poor Clares, French Heritage monument to Brive la gaillarde brive la gaillarde, correze
The complete official record is available at Conseil régional du Limousin - Service chargé de l'inventaire23C boulevard Saint-Maurice 87031 LIMOGES cedex - 05 87 21 20 90
Contributions documentaries made by visitors
Voir cette photo en grand
Contact contributor with his mail for more information.
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.