St. Peter's Church, French Heritage monument to Uzerche
The Romance church of Uzerche is of the type of the churches has crypt, deambulatoire and radiating chapels, on the model of the cathedral of Limoges or the Saint-Martial basilica, they-same influencees by art auvergnat. Some dimensions:
- length of the nave: 46m
- width of the nave: 11,60m (without the collateral ones)
- width of the transept: 26m
- height under vaults:
- 13m for the nave;
- 13m for the chorus;
- 13,60m for each arm of the transept;
- 16,60m under the bell-tower
- 969 - Hildegaire, bishop of Limoges, set up Uzerche in benedictine abbey.
- 1028 - Following a fire, construction of a new church.
- 1085 - Dedication of the large furnace bridge.
- 1095 - Visit of the pope Urbain II.
- 1097 - Dedicate church has holy Pierre and has holy Andre. Construction of the chorus, the transept and the first span of the nave.
- Addition of 2 spans and the southern brace. Century of prosperity for the abbey.
- (end XIIIes): The nave appearing too small, construction of the last western span and its gate.
- 1306 - Visit of the pope Clement V. Fortifications of the church and abbey enclosure during the 100 year old war (two turns flanquerent the northern brace and southern frontage).
- The monastery Benedictine does not have any more the radiation of antan. The wars of religion seem to have abyss part of the chorus and involves the ruin of the axial vault, remplacee by a large bay in semicircular arch.
- 1622 - The lightning destroys the bell-tower. On order of the abbot Antoine Pontier, the bell-tower is rebuilt with a less high arrow.
- 1740 - Louis XV confirms the secularization of the abbey.
- 1747 - The abbey becomes collegiate church seculiere. In the chorus provision of stalls of drowning to receive the college. After the Revolution, the church becomes parochial.
- From 1820 - succession of restorations.
- 1840 - The building is class Historic building.
- 1910 - Construction of a new sacristy
- 1949 - Restoration of the northern frontage
- 1957 - Repair of the frame and the cover of the bell-tower in shingles
- 1960 - Replacement of the decayed floor of the deambulatoire by a stone pavement
- 1972 - Work on the western part of the nave
- 2000 - 2003 Succession of restorations: Repair of the belfry, floor of the chorus, stained glasses of St Pierre and St Andre, replacement of the shingles of chestnuts etc
This crypt is composed of a principal room of semicircular plan voutee in annular cradle. It develops around a central pillar of rectangular form. Five openings allow the communication with the deambulatoire. This last, semi-circular vault being oldest remaining in the Limousin. The crypt was reliee with the transept of abbey by small windows (accompagnees of staircases) placees at the ends of the deambulatoire. Presence in the northern wall of a furnace bridge or a tomb of unknown origin. The name of crypt '' To the Holy Bodies '' fact refers with the relics of 2 Breton saints transferees here at the end of the 11th century.
The southern arm of the transept and its gate
The southern brace receives an Eastern vault of pentagonal plan. The archivolt of the southernmost gate is decorated of a row of billets.
Several inscriptions were discovered in 1838. Two of these epitaphs are located in the Western wall of the southern transept:
The Boson epitaph (mysterious exact identity: wire of the count of Walk? The abbot of Condat-on-Gavaneix?). On the right of the epitaph, one notes scuplture in mezzo-relievo of an angel hangs to the shoulders of a monk vetu of a tunic has hood. The epitaph of Gaubert (he would be the brother of the count of Walk).
The chorus has deambulatoire
It is organized according to an identical plan has that of the crypt. One will voutement notice the complexity of voutement oscillating deambulatoire between groined vaults and barrel vaults. The existence of the deambulatoire is explained by the position of Uzerche on a secondary axis of the way of Saint-Jacques-of-Compostelle. The pilgrims could thus there circulate and admire, through oculi, the relics of Leon Saint and Saint Coronat exposed in the crypt. In the beginning there were 5 radiating chapels, but the axial vault would have been destroyed during the wars of religion at the 16th century. These vaults lit by a bay, are voutees in cradle finishing in bottom of furnace.
The arm of the northern transept
Voutement is in cradle slightly breaks. Separation with the transept crossing is done by two arcs beams falling down on capitals of columns half engaged. The northern brace of the transept east flanks of a absidiole orientee in the east finishing in bottom of furnace.
Four rectangular pillars, each one flanks of three semi-columns engaged with capitals on which fall down of the pointed arches, define the transept crossing.
In the chorus, presence of a Master furnace bridge (XVIIIe century) whose rare characteristic is to be carves on the two principal faces of a similar decoration. One will note also the sculptures of his gate vault of style rubble. A lectern out of wooden gilds constitutes of a column decoree of garlands of bay-trees supporting a terrestrial sphere on which an eagle rests (the figure symbolic system of the holy evangelist Jean). Two series of seats, call stalls, separate from/to each other by balustrades (middle of the XVIIIe century). The abbey one counts 32 of them. The grids of the chorus carry in ornament the two keys in saltire which belonged to the weapons of the abbey. At the western entry, presence of a drum (middle of the XVIIe century) constitutes of 8 painted panels appearing 8 saints (6 apostles and 2 bishops).
The abbey one counts 19 stained glasses of which 4 (at the 4 cardinal points) present topics dregs has its history:
Martial, first bishop of Limoges, evangelise Uzerche (bay of the southern transept) the handing-over of the keys has Saint-Pierre (axial bay of the chorus) the martyr of Saint-Andrew (brother of Pierre; bay of the western frontage) Saint-Fran?ois d' Assise (present in the church with the favour of its growing popularity; bay of the northern transept)
The nave and the collateral ones
The architecture of the nave is caracterisee by a certain sobriety. Four spans form the central vessel, each one of these spans being separated from following by an arc beam breaks. Large arcades make it possible to establish the bond between the first span of the nave and collateral very narrow the, characteristic ones of the Romanesque art the Limousin. The second span of the nave, delimitee by four massive pillars, receives a cupola of octagonal plan on pendentive as well as the bell-tower has four stages.
has to see outside:
The most remarkable element of abbey, the bell-tower answers in all points the definition of the Limousin bell-tower has gables. The first two stages are of plan squares. Second is bay geminees borer whose central column is decorated superb capitals out of limestone. Third establishes the transition with the last level from octagonal plan. A pointed gable takes seat above each bay situees in the center of each frontage. The fourth stage is him also bay geminees borer. Lastly, at the top, one finds a bell-tower has 8 sides. A stone rate/rhythm stringcourse the passage from one stage to another.
The Western gate
It fits in an archivolt decorated with billets. Characteristic of the Romanesque art the Limousin, only one of the four curves is augmentee of a circular moulding.
Two turrets joined with the northern transept and the tower known as tower Leocaire situee with the southern angle/is the abbey one constitute the remainders of the old defensive system, dating from the 14th century.
Source: Tourist bureau of the country of Uzerche www.pays-uzerche.fr
(St. Peter's Church, uzerche)
St. Peter's Church, « St. Peter's Church » is a construction of the city of Uzerche (France, Correze). St. Peter's Church, French Heritage monument to Uzerche uzerche, correze
Contributions documentaries made by visitors
Eglise Saint-Pierre, uzerche
Description of this building by Lumière du matin :
Romane et limousine
L'abbatiale Saint-Pierre est du type des églises à crypte, déambulatoire et chapelles rayonnantes, sur le modèle de la cathédrale de Limoges ou de la basilique Saint-Martial, églises de pélerinage. L'art roman limousin est visible aux ouvertures munies d'un tore et au clocher typique. L'absidiole pentagonale du transept sud, ses baies, ainsi que les portails sont également d'inspiration limousine.
La plus ancienne crypte limousine
La crypte, construite sous le chevet de l'église, d'aspect archaïque, semi-enterrée, présente également un plan à déambulatoire et chapelles rayonnantes.
sources: Mairie d'Uzerche
Eglise Saint-Pierre, uzerche
Lumière du matin says of the history of this building :
" Abbatial Saint-Pierre "
Le monument au fil des siècles
1030 : début des travaux de la crypte, achevés vers 1050; un incendie ayant détruit en 1028 la précédente église.
1050 - 1070 : construction du choeur et du chevet, puis du bras nord du transept ainsi que trois travées de la nef.
1097 : consécration du monastère 2ème quart du XIIe siècle: aménagement interne de la 2ème travée de la nef avec la construction du clocher. On construit la 1ère travée à la suite. Vers 1130, on bâti le bras sud du transept avec sa chapelle à l'est.
XIVe siècle : l'église est fortifiée, au moment de la guerre de Cent Ans, par deux tourelles au bras nord du transept et une tour gréffée à la première travée de la nef.
XVIIe siècle : remise en état de l'édifice car le choeur est en ruine depuis 1622, le clocher de pierre étant tombé à cet endroit (détruit par la foudre). La chapelle d'axe est remplacée par une grande baie. Les colonnes et leurs chapiteaux sont remplacés, les voûtes sont refaites.
XIXe , XXe , XXIe siècles : successions de restaurations.
sources: Mairie d'Uzerche
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.