The territory of ancient Burgundy was formerly occupied by the Lingones tribe already valiant 600 years before the Christian era. When the Romans, already masters of Gallia narbonensis, arrived on the Saône, they formed treaties of alliance with the Lingones, that remained them faithful, even during the struggle of Vercingetorix, and who clung to the fortune of César.
The Roman administration proved to be skillful and prudent, and for a long time the Lingones lived happily away from their municipal rights that their allies had respected; it later took the exactions of the emperors, and the decadence of the Bas-Empire for these dependent faithful of Rome déclarassent independent. Then came the great invasion of the barbarians; among them appeared the Burgundians, vandals tribe, which seized countries situated between the Rhine, the Rhône and the Saône, elected a King and founded a Kingdom; one of his masterpieces, Gondia, fortunately fought against the Huns, and among other countries, brought into the territory of the Lingones under his Dominion. Under his successors, the new Kingdom was wisely administered until 534, time at which invaded Clothaire and Childebert.
Under the princes Francs, Brunehaut and Frédégonde time, the Kingdom was shaken, fragmented, divided, and these conditions lasted until the end of the 9th century, where actual Burgundy lives governed by hereditary Dukes who ruled until 1032.
At that time, Henri Ier, Duke of Burgundy, having become King of France ceded his Duchy to Robert Ier which the dynasty remained on the throne of Burgundy until 1361. The last Duke died childless, King Jean II seized his Kingdom, annexed it to the Crown of France, and constituted it as an appanage to his fourth son. The new Duke, with the help of Duguesclin, drove the road that apparently the country, married Marguerite of Flanders, became a powerful ruler, and supported Charles VI in its fight against the English. His son Jean, unscrupulous, allied himself with these same English, and in 1418, taking advantage of the betrayal of Périnet-Leclerc, entered triumphant in the walls of Paris.
Its successors, the most famous was Charles the bold who ascended the throne of Burgundy in 1467. His formidable struggle with Louis XI ends Granson, Murten and Nancy, where he was killed in 1477 finally.
His death brought permanently Burgundy into the domain of the Crown of France.
Since that time, except the backlash of the struggles of François Ier and Charles v, and the religious wars during which the Burgundians resisted stubbornly in the invasion of Protestantism, then the turmoil of the Fronde, Burgundy was quite peaceful.
During the revolution, Gold Coast children rushed to the border to hunt abroad, and distinguished themselves in the armies of the Republic.
During the division of the France by departments in 1790, the Gold Coast was formed with part n. of ancient Burgundy.
Works has to consult
Alesia. Elude on the seventh countryside of Jules Cesar in Gaulle (chart), by Mgr the duke of Aumale. 1838. Paris. Michel Levy.
Alesia. Historical, topographic and military study on quotes Gallic of Alesia, by Mr. R. of Coyriart. 1 sheet 3/4, plus 2 charts. (Extracted the Spectator militaite, book of November 1856.)
Sorb-apple. Studies on a campaign of Jules Cesar, by Mr. Rossignol. 16 sheets, plus a chart, 1856. Dijon, Lamarche; Paris, Didron.
Burgundian almanac. Beaune, A. Lambert.
Departmental directory of Dimension-of Or by Mr. Joseph Garnter, archivist. Dijon, Sucker.
Dimension-in Or as the crow flies (it), by Aug. Luchet. 1858. Michel Levy.
Picturesque, moral draft and history of your town of Semur, by Mr. Bocquin (Louis). Semur, Bussy. 1839.
Departmental, traditional and administrative geography of France (department of Dimension-in Or) by Misters Badin and Quentin. Paris. J.J. Dubochet, the Knight and Cir. 1847.
Large table wines (them), by Mr. Joseph Jules Lausseure, handwritten notes put in order and publiees by Jules Lausseure. 72 pages and a chart. Dijon, Lamarche. 1858.
Picturesque guide (it) of the traveller in the canton of Night, by Guillaume Gilles. Dijon, Noellat. 1851.
History and statistics of the vine and the high-class wines of Dimension-in Or. by Mr. J. the valle. 1855. 15 sheets 3/4, plus 6 lithographies. Paris, Dusacq, Grav. Jagaer.
Handbook of the pilgrim of Sorb-apple Holy-Queen, by the Tridon abbot. 1 volume in-18 132 pages
Memories of the commission of antiquities of Dimension-to Or, 60 sheets approximately. Dijon, Lamarche.
Historical and descriptive note on the castle of Bussy-Rabutin, by Mr. the count de Sarcus. 1854. Dijon, printing works of Eugene Tricault. 1 vol. in-8 148 pages. Is not sold.
Note on the high monument has Napoleon has Fixin, by Misters Rude and Noisot. Dijon, Loireau-Feuchot. 1847.
New picturesque guide of the traveller has Dijon, flowering ash of engravings and of a beautiful plan of the city, writes by J. Goussaid, 2nd edition, entirely remelted and augmentee of notes, biographies. Dijon, widowed Decailly. One of the best local guides publish in the departments.
Report/ratio with the Academy of Science, arts and the humanities of Dijon, containing a historical note on the establishment of the public fountains of Dijon, by Mr. Victor Dumay. Dijon, Frantin. 1845.
Memories on the church Notre-Dame d' Auxonne, by Claude Pichard, former mayor. 2nd edition. 1857. Auxonne.
Travel of a tourist in the district of Chatillon-on-Seinie. Extract of the monumental, picturesque Statistics and history of Dimension-in Or, by E. Nesle. Beaune. 1860.
latest Department notices
Strong House of the Mothe of Hubine, French Heritage monument to Sincey les rouvray 6
Mander plan residential building based towers, with Watch Tower on the corner ... Northeast and Bartizan on the South-East facade, above the entrance door. Frames (...) Strong House of the Mothe of Hubine, French Heritage monument to Sincey les rouvray
Chapel Saint Jacques, Saint Philippe, French Heritage monument to Nolay 1
Chapel built about 1740 near a chapel destroyed at the same time; ... construction of the campanile and repairs to the facade in 1845, date; currently disused (...) Chapel Saint Jacques, Saint Philippe, French Heritage monument to Nolay
Former Hospital, former leper, French Heritage monument to Meursault 1
Institution created at the beginning of the 12th century by Hugues II, ... Duke of Burgundy. The hospital is attached to the Abbey Sainte-Marguerite de Bouilland (...) Former Hospital, former leper, French Heritage monument to Meursault
Chapelle Saint-Pierre to Nolay
Two chapels in the village One of St. - Pierre with ... a former cemetery; that of St. - Hubert, instead said the Grange Champion. It comes to build houses in place of the chapel of St. - Sulpice, who was very old, with cemetery, where there are tombs containing the bones of a prodigious size, likely the first growlers, Sidonius calls septipedes.
Castle of Gevrey chambertin
The Castle, built in the late 13th century by Yves de Chazan, ... thirtieth Abbot of Cluny, was closed by high and thick walls crenelated and banquetées, flanked at the four corners, as well as against the gatehouse of towers and turrets of different height, shape and dimension. All formed a parallelogram of 58 m 47 cent., length from East to West, and 29 metres 25 cent., North to South, surrounded by a ditch wide and deep, that water from sources that exist meet at will.
Castle of Semur-en-Auxois
The town, picturesquely situated on a granitic rock, is washed on three ... sides by the Armançon, we spend on two beautiful bridges, including one, a single arch, is remarkable for its boldness. It is generally well built, well drilled, and divided into three parts, the village, the donjon and the Castle.
Home, hotel voyageurs said hotel de la Croix de Fer, French Heritage monument to Baigneux les juifs 9
Old master's house built in the 16th century, according to Logan, into ... hotel des voyageurs. Currently House. Revamped building. Front courtyard and Portico (...) Home, hotel voyageurs said hotel de la Croix de Fer, French Heritage monument to Baigneux les juifs
Parish Church of St. John the Baptist, French Heritage monument to Lechatelet
Building dated 1698; construction of the tower and repairs to the chapel ... in 1778 and 1779 according to quotation of pierre Naeem, contractor in Seurre (...) Parish Church of St. John the Baptist, French Heritage monument to Lechatelet