Former college of Oratorians, French Heritage monument to Beaune
The college includes around a courtyard the main building extended to the West by 3 body sizes, and two symmetrical buildings. The main building, double depth with longitudinal corridor, has 2 square floors served by a staircase turning stone, located in the center of the building. Side buildings, the elevation on street in stone, have a square floor accessible by a staircase ramp cast-iron wood-turning. Roof of the main building smashed flat, slate tile on the Gables, other slate roofs. "eschole" de Beaune is mentioned as early as the 15th century, the chore Street (current College Street). In 1624 the college is entrusted to the Oratorians. To enlarge, the city purchases between 1629 and 1679, two houses, two courses including the 'close the Church of the Hospital of Bourgneuf and the walls of the city", and a garden adjoining the College. In 1634, the enjoyment of the Church of the Hospital of Bourgneuf was granted. The reconstruction of the college was decided at the end of the 17th century. A first estimate was made in 1682 by Anthoine rust, the King's engineer. Plans and elevations probably prepared by l. Trestournel, dated 1687, correspond to the current main body (the belfry was removed at the end of the 20th century). The 1st successful tenderers were entrepreneurs e Banda, a. Ekundayo and j. bearing, then g. Perrot. Workmanship problems slowed the still unfinished work in 1691. In 1752, the college was expanded, l. Mion, architect in Beaune and P. Thuilard, master carpenter, were responsible for the construction of a new room which was adjacent to the West of the main building. The two identical buildings bordering the Court were rebuilt between 1888 and 1893 on the specifications of the architect g. Terry. In 1873, the college took the name of Monge in the memory of the most famous of his pupils.
Source: Ministry of Culture, France
Former college of Oratorians, The college includes around a courtyard the main building extended to the West by 3 body sizes, and two symmetrical buildings. The main building, double depth (...) Former college of Oratorians, French Heritage monument to Beaune beaune, cote d'or
The complete official record is available at Conseil régional de Bourgogne - Service chargé de l'inventaireHôtel Chartraire de Montigny - 39/41, rue Vannerie 21000 Dijon - 03.80.72.53.33
Men involved in this construction
- Trestournel louis (in French) architecte
- Mion louis (in French) architecte
- Tixier gaston (in French) architecte
- Perrot guillaume (in French) entrepreneur
- Baudelet etienne (in French) entrepreneur
- Jeanin antoine (in French) entrepreneur
- Lepinette jean (in French) entrepreneur
- Rouillet antoine (in French) ingénieur
- Thuilard pierre (in French) maître charpentier
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.