Old Ursuline convent, now Town Hall, French Heritage monument to Beaune
Before the Revolution, the convent included several houses along the street of the Town Hall, and the building of the community behind this alignment. A building served by a staircase turret in work and two other completely reworked are the last remnants of houses on street. The convent building, u housed 40 cells, the chapter, the refectory, the library room and vaulted edges cloister, the Church extended the right wing. The old roof destroyed by fire have been preserved 2 skylights with ailerons in spirals. The cellars are covered with barrel vaults. Its transformation into City Hall led the rehabilitation of domestic distribution, the addition of a stem with decoration in relief on the front side, the redesign of the old church and a symmetrical building. The Ursuline convent was founded on May 25, 1626 by nuns from Autun to care for education of girls
* between 1626 and 1689, they bought a certain number of houses with gardens and outbuildings to settle and open their schools. In 1697, they could build a convent with cloister and Church
* a registration on a pillar of the cloister commemorates the laying of the first stone, 6 July 1697, by Ms. Richard elected, Marie de Sayvre, superior of the convent and benign Lebelin. After the Revolution, the monastery became City Hall underwent a number of transformations. Plans and specifications for repairs and constructions were erected by Qazanfari between 1802 and 1804. in 1810-1811, Pathak pitched a total restoration of the former convent project plans to accommodate several administrations. Following a fire in 1815, architects Guichard and Champennois were responsible for the reconstruction, the demolition of some of the old houses on street was planned to clear buildings of the 17th century. In 1817, the establishment of a new 'acceptable to a public monument' facade led a sculpted decor commissioned the sculptor Bonnet. A reception hall was built in the old church by the Champennois-de Castro contractor on a quote of Dorey-Maldant, dated March 12, 1828, the demolition and reconstruction of the facades on Court and street. In 1850, an identical and symmetrical building extending the left wing was built to house the library, work was completed on a quote from c. Point.
Source: Ministry of Culture, France
(Old Ursuline convent, now Town Hall, beaune)
Old Ursuline convent, now Town Hall, Before the Revolution, the convent included several houses along the street of the Town Hall, and the building of the community behind this alignment. A (...) Old Ursuline convent, now Town Hall, French Heritage monument to Beaune beaune, cote d'or
The complete official record is available at service régional de l'inventaire BourgogneHôtel Chartraire de Montigny - 39, rue Vannerie 21000 Dijon - 03.80.72.53.33
Men involved in this construction
- Champonnois pierre (in French) architecte
- Champonnois-delarue françois (in French) entrepreneur
- Plagniol d. (in French) ingénieur
- Quinard denis (in French) architecte voyer
- Guichard jacques chrétien (in French) architecte voyer
- Dorey-maldant emiland (in French) architecte voyer
- Point claude (in French) architecte voyer
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.