Collégiale Notre-Dame; Convent; cloister, French Heritage monument to Beaune

The church includes a two-bottom sides nave, a transept and a choir with apse, ambulatory and radiating chapels. The nave, the transept and the choir are covered with vaults broken cradle, the aisles and the ambulatory vaults, the porch, the apse, the chapels, the cloister and the chapter room of vaults of warheads, the chapel ceiling button. Left of the choir lies the old sacristy, right, on the floor, the chapel of Saint-Michel (private oratory of cardinal Rolin) which the apse, lit by a window full-handlebar, is supported by a tailpiece and covered with a terrace lined a railing. A corridor allowed communication with the canonial building. The right arm of the transept Portal opens on a gallery of cloister with 7 spans that overcomes a portion of the old canonical buildings, currently presbytery. The canons undertook to build the building in the middle of the 12th and the construction, from East to West, ended at the beginning of the 13th century. The canonical buildings date from the end of the 12th century, the porch in the middle of the 13th century. After the fire in 1272, were undertaken
* the upper parts of the apse were reconstructed at the level of the blind arches: the Romanesque Windows were replaced by huge Gothic Windows with tracery and buttresses on the novels foothills of the ambulatory. cornices and Windows of the ambulatory were reworked, the roof and Tower of the transept. The chapels were added from the 13th to the 16th century
* the most remarkable are the Saint-Léger Chapel adorned with murals and the button Chapel dated 1530. The Church Gothic spire was replaced by an imperial roof built in 1580 to 1588, on plans of Hugues Sambin. In 1844, Viollet-le-Duc establishes a quote of restoration
* the work was done from 1860 under the direction of Mr. Ouradou, beaunois architect a. Forest as Inspector of works.

Source: Ministry of Culture, France

Collégiale Notre-Dame; Convent; cloister
(Collégiale Notre-Dame; Convent; cloister, beaune)


Reported to be remarkable heritage of quality.

Structural information

Collégiale Notre-Dame; Convent; cloister, The church includes a two-bottom sides nave, a transept and a choir with apse, ambulatory and radiating chapels. The nave, the transept and the choir are (...) Collégiale Notre-Dame; Convent; cloister, French Heritage monument to Beaune beaune, cote d'or

Location and general information

  • identifier : 25043
  • item : Collégiale Notre-Dame ; bâtiment conventuel ; cloître
  • Location of the building :
    • Bourgogne
    • Côte-d'Or
    • Beaune
  • Address : place Général Leclerc
  • INSEE code of the municipality : 21054
  • Zip code of the municipality : 21200
  • Order in the communal list : 26
  • Name of the building : The building is designated by the following 3 names :
    • college
    • cloister
    • convent building
  • State :
    • current state of the monument : restored

Dates and times

  • Period of construction :
    • We have no information on the time of construction of this monument.
  • Year : 1530
  • Investigation : 1988
  • Dates of protection :
    • 1840 : classé MH
    • 1926/05/26 : inscrit MH
  • Date taken into account : 2001/10/08

Construction, architecture and style

  • Materials: 3 elements are used in the main structure of the building.
    • limestone
    • ashlar
    • stone
  • Roofing : Coverage of this building is varied there are 7 different types :
    • rump
    • polygonal hipped
    • round butt
    • arrow square
    • gable roof
    • shed
    • roof
  • Materials (roofing) : 4 elements in the composition of the hedge, among them we noted
    • slate
    • hollow tile
    • flat tile
    • stone cover
  • Other about the composition roofs : 5 modes of coverage are listed
    • ribbed vault
    • vault
    • dome fallopian
    • cul-de-four
    • barrel vault
  • Floors :
    • floor type : 3 vessels
  • Stairs : 4 types of stairs have been cataloged in this monument, stairs are of type :
    • spiral staircase
    • masonry
    • stairs in work-
    • spiral staircase in masonry
  • Decoration of the building : 2 forms of decoration are present
    • sculpture
    • painting
  • Representation : 16 ornamental motifs have been identified
    • palmette
    • entrelac
    • winding
    • hook
    • bird
    • head
    • pearl
    • shield
    • architectural ornament
    • checkerboard
    • circle
    • animal
    • human being
    • denticle
    • bust
    • chevron
  • Typology :
    • No information about typology.
  • Plan :
    • Plan Type 'Latin cross plan'

Monument and history of the place

  • Building containing : ensemble canonial
  • Interest of the building : Cet édifice fait partie des dernières grandes églises romanes de Bourgogne. Il fut entrepris au milieu du 12e siècle sur le modèle Clunysien et fut achevé au début du siècle suivant en conservant une remarquable unité stylistique.
  • Elements protected MH (historical monument) :
    • Any particular element of the building is subject to protection in our database.
  • Constituent areas :
    • no information.
  • Parties constituantes étudiées :
    • no information.
  • Use : This building has been used in different ways over time. We know 3 successive uses. :
    • parish church
    • rectory
    • private school

Other

  • Other : 7 various other information are available
    • the triforium is adorned with pilasters
    • the capitals and the bases of geometric and plant
    • human heads
    • of characters
    • birds and other animals
    • a door-ecu Angel is carved on a base of the side vestibule
    • two animal musicians on a marquee of the first span of the right aisle. other decorations in the palissy base. public property
  • Picture : e76115ea75ac4797897d4d83dc64fa38.jpg
  • Detail :
    • église : classement par liste de 1840
    • bâtiment conventuel (presbytère) : inscription par arrêté du 26 mai 1926.
  • Authors of the survey MH :
    • Vergnolle Eliane
    • Réveillon Elisabeth
    • Fromaget Brigitte
  • Mérimée reference : IA21000093

Men involved in this construction


source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.

Participate in the increase of the database

You have "old photos" of the monument or recent, you know this monument and want to share your photos, knowledge, stories about him, click here.

The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.