Castle of Gevrey chambertin
In 1275, the Abbot of Cluny, already owner of half of the seigneury of Gevrey, acquired the other half of the Duke of Burgundy Robert II, as well as high, middle and low justice, with the right of serfdom on three men that this prince is still had. This Abbot of the Vergy family, who named Yves de Chazan, and who had succeeded his uncle, of same name him, founder of the college of Cluny in Paris, had built the Castle and fortified House where the inhabitants of Gevrey had right to retirement at the approach of the enemy, in by them contributing to the Watchtower and the guard of the Castle said , under penalty of 65 fine soils, and by contributing, under the same penalty to certain repairs and menus emparements.
This castle, which was to have been built to protect officers and vassals of the Lord against the invasion and the attack of these bands of supporters who, under names and various heads, bore the grief and desolation in the province, guarantee of their violence. In 1356, the chevalier Louis de Neufchâteau or Neufchatel (de Novo Castro), in revenge for the Abbot of Cluny, which he regarded as the author of the judgment which banned it from the Kingdom of France, stood before the castle of Gevrey, at the head of one hundred twenty armed men. He did push the doors and take over the ammunition and provisions of any kind who were there.
The Castle, built in the late 13th century by Yves de Chazan, thirtieth Abbot of Cluny, was closed by high and thick walls crenelated and banquetées, flanked at the four corners, as well as against the gatehouse of towers and turrets of different height, shape and dimension. All formed a parallelogram of 58 m 47 cent., length from East to West, and 29 metres 25 cent., North to South, surrounded by a ditch wide and deep, that water from sources that exist meet at will.
It penetrated into the Interior of the castle through a large door and a smaller or window defended by the drawbridges. Between these doors, and a second deep arcade which lowered arch supported the pavement of the Hall of pageantry or hearing, were spent on a flying bridge, a second ditch. The entrance to this arcade shut by a thick door double leaf doors behind which a massive portcullis was suspended. These fortifications and the four corner towers it remains more than the large and solid square Tower, whose imposing mass sits at the southeast corner. This tower, which the underground were used as prisons, joined by constructions without symmetry the gate, above which is still seen arrays in which undertook the arrows assembled in the rocker intended to raise the deck of the large drawbridge and lath of the window.
The lower part of the Tower of the Northeast, which is anything other than a solid whose surface is stone, barely above the level of the garden terrace. The other two, built in the Interior and touching to the fortifications, but without binding with the walls, have been destroyed or have fallen for a long time. neither one have been identified. There are still two lower towers, one outdoor and square, next to the window of the gatehouse, one cut panels, in the courtyard, serving cage to a staircase snail whose markets are carved stones. Above the windows cross according to the use of time, and part of the covered, can be seen a responsible shield coat of arms three quarters erased from the Abbey of Cluny.
The Gatehouse was preceded by a forecourt in which was a small house where is established the corps de garde. There is nothing in the archives of the municipality which has connection to events which this castle could be the theater since its construction. The minutes, which notes the damage made by the hoards of the prince of Zweibrücken in 1576, and the misfortunes experienced by the inhabitants, does not mention that none of these there have found a haven in these terrible circumstances, nor that the Castle has itself threatened by these ferocious enemies who certainly did neither property nor the church people; but in a burrow of 1578, deposited in the archives of the Department, it is said that the buildings on the side of sunset have been twice burned by the hoards, and it is to these barbarians that is due the destruction of the Northwest Tower, called the Mierlin tour.
The castle of Gevrey with its dependencies was sold as national property in 1790, and acquired by the municipality, which itself resold it shortly after in full, with the exception of the Western gap, in order to ensure the entire property of the source, which it could not have an inch under the Treaty made in 1773 with Monsignor Dominique of the Rochefoucaud Archbishop of Rouen, commendatory Abbot of Cluny, and this last quality time Lord of Gevrey. Its position, by the extent of the gardens and clos y adjacent, with the continued existence of water from another source which is located in the levant, the castle is likely to lend themselves to all embellishments, all constructions, all amenities good taste would inspire a rich individual. as it is, is it a beautiful ruin retaining the stamp of the feudal regime, under which it has been built.
Source: Gevrey-Chambertin historical, topographic and statistical record by Henri Vienna 1850.
Crédit photo : perrine (Castle of Gevrey, gevrey chambertin)
Castle of Gevrey, The Castle, built in the late 13th century by Yves de Chazan, thirtieth Abbot of Cluny, was closed by high and thick walls crenelated and banquetées, flanked at the four corners, as well as against the gatehouse of towers and turrets of different height, shape and dimension. All formed a parallelogram of 58 m 47 cent., length from East to West, and 29 metres 25 cent., North to South, surrounded by a ditch wide and deep, that water from sources that exist meet at will. gevrey chambertin, cote d'or
Contributions documentaries made by visitors
Voir cette photo en grand
Contact contributor with his mail for more information.
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.