Castle of Semur-en-Auxois
Semur, Semurium, Senemurium, Sinemurium, sur Armançon, 70 kilometres West-South-West of Dijon, formerly capital of the Auxois is a nice and picturesque small town whose origin is certainly very old, even though authenticity missing claims most of his historians. We are not talking about those who ascribe its foundation to Hercules before the Christian era, when the hero crossed the saplings on his return from Spain; but the same, widespread, tradition which gives it to first inhabitants the Mandubiens escaped to the bag of Alise, is based on probabilities rather than on positive evidence.
After its historically recorded existence, dating much earlier than the 5th century, the first part of his Annals is still full of uncertainty and darkness. We know only that Semur, either by the advantage of its location, either by the number of its inhabitants and the strength of its walls, became the capital of a canton, Pagus Alesensis and the residence of a county as early as the 8th century during the wars, asylum of the neighbouring peoples,. The domination of Bozon, King of Arles, is reported there, in 879, by the gift that made this prince to the Bishop of Autun to the Church of St. Maurice with the mountain of Semur and two mills. This theft had occurred while Louis and Carloman were busy repelling the Normans; returned victorious, the two princes returned to possession of Semur, as well as all their rights on other cities in Burgundy. From the 10th to the 13th century, we, according to Brunet, a list of thirteen counties of Semur, of which the first is Arlebaud, died circa 950, and the latest Jean de Broye, Lord of Châteauvillain, heir to his cousin Héloïse, to which he succeeded in 1262, and leaving himself, due to lack of posterity, Semur and the Auxois blend after him in the Duchy of Burgundy. It is then only, in 1276, that the inhabitants of Semur obtained a Charter of commune, modelled on that of Soissons, as almost all those granted to other Burgundian towns.
Semur almost always was the venue chosen for the meeting of the nobility when there were deliberate on measures of defence or general salute; so it was during the English invasions and devastation caused by the large companies. Semur was also, thanks to the opulence of its inhabitants, a city of resources in times of shortage of the ducal Treasury; several loans were contracted. His loyalty to the Dukes, in the quarrels of Armagnac and Burgundy and in the war of succession, which followed the death of Charles the bold, exhibited it harsh and cruel tests. But it is especially during the religious wars of the 16th century that the town became highly shatter the feelings of loyalty that it had deferred its Dukes to the Kings of France. Although a plot would have delivered the castle to a lieutenant of Mayenne, residents persisted no less in their devotion to the Royal cause. Semur welcomed the Outlaws of major cities who refused to join the revolts of the League; also, when fortune returned to the arms of Henri IV, it is at Semur that was transferred, in 1592, the headquarters of the royalist Parliament of Burgundy, as well as that of the Chamber of counties and the Finance Office. When the victory of Fontaine-française had pacified the country, the return of these faithful servants in the capital of the province was a real triumphal.
The latest events that remain to quote are: a raging fire, which consumed two hundred and fifty houses in the city, laying the stay of the Parliament; exile in Semur, in 1637, the judges who had refused to register thirteen edits offices presented by the Governor, Henri de Condé, and finally, in 1672, a visit of the King of Poland, Casimir V, which passed through the city by going take the waters of Sainte-Reine.
The town, picturesquely situated on a granitic rock, is washed on three sides by the Armançon, we spend on two beautiful bridges, including one, a single arch, is remarkable for its boldness. It is generally well built, well drilled, and divided into three parts, the village, the donjon and the Castle. There are four public squares and three walks, some of the towers that flanked the ancient walls, and the imposing masses of the old donjon, which defied the ravages more of ten centuries. The most remarkable monument is the parish church, classified as historical monuments of France, and built in 1065 by Duke Robert Ier for atone, said, the murder of his father-in-law, Dalmatius, whom he was assassinated by his own hand.
Source: The France is illustrated by Victor-Adolphe Malte-Brun.
Crédit photo : olivierp54 (Castle, semur en auxois)
Castle, The town, picturesquely situated on a granitic rock, is washed on three sides by the Armançon, we spend on two beautiful bridges, including one, a single arch, is remarkable for its boldness. It is generally well built, well drilled, and divided into three parts, the village, the donjon and the Castle. semur en auxois, cote d'or
Contributions documentaries made by visitors
Voir cette photo en grand
Contact contributor with his mail for more information.
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.