Dungeon; Castle, French Heritage monument to Roussas
Quadrangular block, this Dungeon is built in limestone stone, Middle unit. The walls have a thickness of 1,80 m. There is a chain of angle paired on the left part of the highest building. The facade in advance has a single span of three levels, with entrance arched door jamb moulding, door covered with a drip edge and segmental arched projecting key Windows. The high window of the facade, at the 4th level, is cut in half and walled. The cover is made of concrete flat terrace. The right side elevation also has a span of similar Windows. Inside, converted into a house in the 18th century, has a large vestibule, which area (8 m 4) repeats itself in parts of the upper levels, a former kitchen (dining current) covered with a very low vaulted, a turning staircase to return, and rooms on the first floor. The wing added to the Northwest, withdrawal, is built in coated limestone rubble. It is lace of a span of segmental bays, the patio floor overlooks a masoned terrace enclosed by an iron railing. A carved stone emblazoned is remployée above the arc of this patio door key. A body of lower building (2 levels), covered with hollow tiles, made return right. The Northeast Tower of Roussas was probably built by the Adhemar in the 13th century. However, a carved stone, currently in reinvestment in the building, door coat of arms surmounted by the name Rossa [t] s, place and family attested since the middle of the 12th century until the end of the 14th. Adjacent to the Chapel, the Dungeon was much more important than the Southwest Tower. The remains of bays arched with traces of coussièges show that he had to serve Castle. It was included in new buildings in the middle of the 18th century. At that time, successive owners, the Philibert and Bennett, who buy it in 1755, extend it a wing to the Northwest and transform the corps de logis together
* They ajourent it spans of doors and Windows, such as the facade of the Castle stands today. The Dungeon then loses its isolated and defensive character. Ordered to the Revolution, the demolition of the castle could however be avoided. In about 1920, the donjon, above a floor (as shown in the cut front window) and covered with a roof with two slopes, was flush 2 or 3 metres. He received coverage in terrace, unchanged when today. In 1936, an earthquake shook the castle which remained still in place.
Source: Ministry of Culture, France
Crédit photo : pierre bastien (Dungeon; Castle, roussas)
Dungeon; Castle, Quadrangular block, this Dungeon is built in limestone stone, Middle unit. The walls have a thickness of 1,80 m. There is a chain of angle paired on the left (...) Dungeon; Castle, French Heritage monument to Roussas roussas, drome
The complete official record is available at Conseil régional de Rhône-Alpes - Service chargé de l'inventaire6, Quai Saint-Vincent - 69001 Lyon - 04.72.00.43.70
Contributions documentaries made by visitors
Voir cette photo en grand
Contact contributor with his mail for more information.
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.