Valence

Valence is one of the oldest cities of the Dauphine one. ISCED of Segatauni, and sits of a famous school before the Roman conquest, then colony under Auguste, it was, under Valentinien, an important city of the province Viennese. Often ravagee by the Barbarians, it was, after the fall of the Roman Empire, subjected to Burgundian and passed to the emperors of Germany. then with the counts de Valentinois and has its own bishops, who exercerent a long time on it a sovereign authority. At the end, tired of their yoke, it rose in 1229, and was declared independent; but the government which it establishes under the name of brotherhood did not remain a long time. After the war known as of Episcopal, in 1345, she lives herself reduced has to call has her assistance the Humberl dolphin, which put under its safeguard the inhabitants oppress by the bishop. Later, in 1450, it was placed under the protection of Louis XI. This prince maintained it in his old privileges and declared that its inhabitants would enjoy, moreover, of all the uses, habits and freedoms of which those enjoyed the province Dauphine.

In XVIe century, Valence took party for Reforms and became, in 1563, sits it of the political council which controlled the species of republic whose Protestants made one moment the test into Dauphine. Then girded walls flanquees of turns and openings of several doors, defended by a citadel, whose Fran?ois Ier had thrown the bases in 1530, dotee of a famous university, of a episcopal seat, one of oldest of Gaules, and collegial. Valence was an extremely important city, as well by its trade and its industry as by its population.

After the murder of general Duphot, Rome has, in 1799, Valence accepted and saw dying in its walls the pope Pie VI, that the Directory had made remove. It has Valence which Bonaparte, in 1785, to leaving the School of Brienne, came to supplement its military education.

This city saw being born Mr. de Montalivet, Mr. Berenger, celebrates contemporary jurisconsult, and Mr. Emile Augier.

Valence has preserve few remainders of the Roman occupation: barrels of columns, cornices, islands planks, stones milliary, etc

The cathedral of Saint-Apollinaire, situee at the Southern end of the plate on which high the city, founded about year 212, was destroyed later by Buckwheats, and reedifiee in XIIe century; this church reproduces rather exactly the type of the Romance churches of the secondary period. Saint-Apollinaire with the shape of a Latin cross. Its external length, including the porch, is of 75 bills of quantities; its width of 18 bills of quantities 68 centimetres. Built out of stones of size and flanquee of light buttresses, it is divided into three naves; the two side aisles, that sixteen large windows light has semicircular arch, are separated by sixteen hurled pillars, flowering ashes has their four faces of columns couronnees each one of an elegant capital. One notices especially the apse, the up to date colonnade which circumvents the chorus, its many crossings and its beautiful stained glasses has characters.

A marble cenotaph, poor work of a Roman sculptor, Maximilien Ploughman, was sets up in the sanctuary with the memory of the pope Pie VI: it east surmounts bust of the pontiff, whose heart and entrails rest in this place. Mr. the Jouve abbot, in his historical and descriptive note of this church, believes that it was built originally on the ruins of some pagan building, as would seem to attest it several Roman fragments find in the foundations of the tower of the bell-tower, twice frappee by the lightning and demolished in 1838, because it threatened ruin.

In a note that it communicates to us, relating to the rebuilding and the completion of this tower, Mr. the Jouve abbot, author of the Guide valenlinois, the Directory of the Drome and a great number of interesting monographs, expresses himself as follows:

One currently finishes (November 1861) the new bell-tower in the quadrangular shape of turn, like the old one, and on the same site, i.e. in the West of the church, of which it forms the frontage at the same time as the principal entry, by means of a hall or porch forming a unit with the tower. This porch, very out of marble of Crussol, open on its four faces by as many large arcades has decreasing clotheshangers, decorated mouldings characteristic of the time, presents, as well inside as outside, thirty two columns surmontees of capitals of most beautiful work. It is little of also remarkable for the choice of materials, finished mouldings, the width of the ordinance and the strength of the execution. Above this porch, which does not have less than 15 bills of quantities height, immediately high, by making withdrawal, the tower of the bell-tower, out of white stone of Saint-Paul-Three-Castles. It offers on its four dimensions only linked surfaces, to the stage intends has to receive the bells. Here one sees reappearing, with more richness still, the system of arcades, windows and mouldings of the large porch of entry. This up to date stage, which finishes the bell-tower, is covered with a metal polygonal cap, resting on an iron roof, and which will be itself surmontee of a very-high cross. One can, as of now, to judge the whole of the monument and the great effect which it will produce by its noble and severe style. in harmony with that of the cathedral, by its rich person materials as well as by the correction of its lines and the clearness of its profiles. It measures, of paves with the birth of the cross, more than 43 bills of quantities, and its total height, from its base discovered, of the dimension of the occident, until the top of the cross, will not be less of 57 bills of quantities.

Close to the door of the cathedral a building is squares, known under the name of Pendentif; it is a monument of the Rebirth, sets up in 1548, by the family of Mistral, and devotes to the burial of the members of this former parliamentary family.

The church of Saint-Jean-Baptist, tres-anciennement founded, vien to be rebuilt in the Romance style of the secondary period. One notices the mistress there arches, the Master furnace bridge and of beautiful stained glasses of Mr. Thevenot de Clermont.

The church of Saint-Pierre of the Borough., or holy Apollinaire was initially buried, does not have anything preserves of its old splendour. Before XVIe century, it was pavee in mosaic and supported by a considerable number of porphyry and marble columns. It has a beautiful Master furnace bridge out of wooden, and, to the bottom of the chorus, a table allots has Lebrun.

The collegial one of Saint-Ruf, rebuilt at the XVIIIe century (today Protestant temple), is, after Saint-Apollinaire, the religious monument most remarkable of Valence.

The church of Cordeliers is used today as store has fodder.

The old church of Notre-Dame of Let us be, in the Low-City, belongs to the bastard style calls Pompadour style.

One will not have to miss visiting: the house of the TVS, of XVIe century (close to the place of the Clerks), and that of Mrs. Dupre-Latour, built, says one, by Fran?ois Ier (street Perollerie), two elegant specimens of the style of the Rebirth, the hotel of the Government, or died Pie VI, the botanical garden, finally the polygon for the artillery school established in the city, or one enjoys from a beautiful point of view on the Alps, the field of Mars, borders of a parapet plants trees, and one of the most pleasant walks of the city, the museum, locates in old large the seminaiie: one notices there, among the tables, Ugolin signs David, of beautiful landscapes of Lapito and Paul Huet, the Death of Jeanne Seymour, by Eugene Deveria; and, among the sculptures, the Young Prisoner of Debay.

The museum contains also a gallery of natural history. At the ground floor is the library, ruinee during the wars of religion and rich person still of 20.000 volumes.

The other public edifices of Valence, the theatre, the college, the law courts, etc, do not offer any interest.

In the middle of high the Championnet place bronze the colossal statue of general Championnet, by Mr. Sappey, of Grenoble.

Source: General route of France of Paris to the Mediterranean. by Adolphe Laurent Joanne 1865.

Valence, capital of Valentinois, and today chief town of Drome, department form of a portion of bottom Dauphine, including/understanding, in addition to Valentinois, Diois, Tricostin and Baronnies, carries:

Mouths, with the money cross charged in heart with a tower of azure.

Roman colony under the reign of Neron, the town of Valence (Valentia) which, according to the etymologists, was thus appelee because of the value of its inhabitants, passed, after the fall of the empire, initially with Burgundian, then with the princes merovingiens. Detachee of the crown under the second race, it then formed part of the kingdom of Arles. Frederic Barberousse, by giving it, with the title of count, with the Eudes bishop, wanted that this one and its successors belonged directly to the imperial authority. At the thirteenth century, the inhabitants chasserent these peaceful lords, and constituerent has their place a powerful middle-class, whose residences were, says one, as many fortresses. Valence however returned soon under the domination of its count-bishops, and remained there until 1449, time to which Louis of Poitiers recognized the sovereignty of the dolphin of Viennese.

Description

valence, French city Department of drome with 13 historical sites listed or simply studied for their remarkable character.
Our database currently includes 13 elements for heritage valence. You will find the menu and footer links leading you on the description sheets.

There are 10 localities (Place called, location known as) in Valence : grande rue ; 1ere imp marechal joffre ; 1ere imp paul louis courier ; 1ere impasse de la comete ; 1ere impasse pierre curie ; 2e imp paul louis courier ; 2e impasse de la comete ; 2e impasse pierre curie ; 3e impasse de la comete ; 3e impasse pierre curie.

listeds buildings (classified and protected) in Valence

Monuments in Valence, Valence has 15 buildings protected. Include :

  1. Abbaye Notre-Dame-de-Soyons (ancienne) (Saint-Martin (rue)) official reference : PA00117084 ;
  2. official reference : PA00117085 ;
  3. Chapelle des Cordeliers (ancienne) official reference : PA00117086 ;
  4. Eglise Saint-Jean (Saint-Jean (place)) official reference : PA00117087 ;
  5. Gare (Denis-Papin (rue)) official reference : PA00117088 ;
  6. official reference : PA00117089 ;
  7. Kiosque Peynet official reference : PA00117090 ;
  8. (Grande-Rue 31 ; Briffaut (rue) 4) official reference : PA00117091 ;
  9. official reference : PA00117092 ;
  10. (Grande-Rue 57) official reference : PA00117093 ;
  11. Pendentif official reference : PA00117094 ;
  12. Ancienne abbaye de Saint-Ruf "le Haut" official reference : PA00117095 ;
  13. official reference : PA26000003 ;
  14. Ancien clos Genest : villa des Cigales et villa Margot (Moulins (rue des) 51, 57) official reference : PA26000004 ;
  15. Domaine de Valensolles (Valensolles (avenue de) 32-34) official reference : PA26000020
Please note this list is likely to evolve, the data presented are from 2013.

Places of Culture

Libraries valence, valence has 7 Libraries :

  • mediatheque departementale de la drôme (76 chemin de la foret 26000 valence)
  • valence sud (148 avenu maurice faure 26000 valence)
  • le plan (3 rue jean perrin 26000 valence)
  • polygone (32 avenue georges clemenceau 26000 valence)
  • chamberliere (8 rue jean vilar 26000 valence)
  • fontbarlettes (place camille saint-saens 26000 valence)
  • mediatheque publique et universitaire (place charles huguenel 26000 valence)

Cinemas de valence, valence has 4 cinemas :

  • pathe (53 avenue de romans, 26000 valence)
  • lux (36 bd du general de gaulle, 26000 valence)
  • le navire (9 bd d alsace, 26000 valence)
  • le navire (9 bd d alsace, 26000 valence)

Statistics for Valence

Town or city :
Postcode of city : 26000
Insee code : 26362
Longitude : 4.915981
Latitude : 44.923411
Total population : 66568 people
place called : 10
alley : 192
avenue : 37
boulevard : 14
path : 66
current : 6
faubourg : 1
dead : 41
place : 70
dock : 1
area : 13
roundabout : 3
route : 10
st : 402
square : 8

Abbaye Notre-Dame-de-be (former), French Heritage monument to Valence 1
« Abbaye Notre-Dame-de-be (former) » is a construction of the city of Valence (France, Drome). Abbaye Notre-Dame-de-be (former), French Heritage monument to Valence

Hôtel de Pampelonne (former), French Heritage monument to Valence 10
« Hôtel de Pampelonne (former) » is a construction of the city of Valence (France, Drome). Hôtel de Pampelonne (former), French Heritage monument to Valence

Old closed Genest: villa of villa Margot and cicadas, French Heritage monument to Valence 2
Eclectic architecture of the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century. Set of four villas built by the architect Casimir Genest, whose villa (...) Old closed Genest: villa of villa Margot and cicadas, French Heritage monument to Valence

Gazebo Peynet, French Heritage monument to Valence 11
« Gazebo Peynet » is a construction of the city of Valence (France, Drome). Gazebo Peynet, French Heritage monument to Valence

House Dupré-Latour, French Heritage monument to Valence 12
« House Dupré-Latour » is a construction of the city of Valence (France, Drome). House Dupré-Latour, French Heritage monument to Valence

House Dupré-Latour, French Heritage monument to Valence 13
« House Dupré-Latour » is a construction of the city of Valence (France, Drome). House Dupré-Latour, French Heritage monument to Valence

Pendant, French Heritage monument to Valence 14
Funerary monument built in 1548 to the location of an old cemetery for the family Mistral. It owes its name to its dome paired on pendants. Disappearance of (...) Pendant, French Heritage monument to Valence

Abbey of Saint-Ruf 'upwards', French Heritage monument to Valence 3
The congregation of the canons regular of Saint-Ruf, founded in the 11th century, is located in the 12th century outside the walls of Valencia, and then in the (...) Abbey of Saint-Ruf 'upwards', French Heritage monument to Valence

Former chapel of the Capuchin, currently dependent on the departmental Direction of equipment of the Drôme, French Heritage monument to Valence 4
« Former chapel of the Capuchin, currently dependent on the departmental Direction of equipment of the Drôme » is a construction of the city of Valence (France, Drome). Former chapel of the Capuchin, currently dependent on the departmental Direction of equipment of the Drôme, French Heritage monument to Valence

Saint-Apollinaire Cathedral, French Heritage monument to Valence 5
« Saint-Apollinaire Cathedral » is a construction of the city of Valence (France, Drome). Saint-Apollinaire Cathedral, French Heritage monument to Valence

St. John's Church, French Heritage monument to Valence 7
« St. John's Church » is a construction of the city of Valence (France, Drome). St. John's Church, French Heritage monument to Valence

St. John's Church, French Heritage monument to Valence 8
« St. John's Church » is a construction of the city of Valence (France, Drome). St. John's Church, French Heritage monument to Valence

Railway station, French Heritage monument to Valence 9
« Railway station » is a construction of the city of Valence (France, Drome). Railway station, French Heritage monument to Valence