Nogent le rotrou
Though authentic remainders of Roman constructions, trouvees has Nogent-le-Rotrou on different occasions, prove that this city played a certain role in antiquity, the oldest documents which make mention of it are not former at the end of X E century. At that time, the borough was called Nogent-le-Chatel. On the ruins of the primitive fortress (Castrum Nogioni), destroyed by the Norman ones, Geoffroi II, count of the Pole, grandson and successor of Rotrou I er, made raise a new castle, at the beginning of the XI E century the district Saint Jean was formed little by little under the protection of this castle and of the close church, now destroyed, while other houses grouped around the St. Lawrence church and of the monastery of Saint-Denis, also found to the XI E century. The count Rotrou II passed to Spain to fight Buckwheats, 1089. and had for last male descendant Thomas, count of the Pole and lord of Nogent, keep silent, in 1217 with the battle of Lincoln, in England, without leaving posterity. The seigniory of Nogent was erigee in duchy in 1567, in favour of Louis de Bourbon, prince de Coude, uncle d' Henri IV. It was concealed from the combat of Jarnac, in 1569, and left of its second marriage with Francoise of Orleans, Charles of Bourbon, count de Soissons does not have Nogent in 1567. Sully, having acquired this seigniory in 1624, transmitted it has its heirs, who alienerent it in 1770. At the time of the Revolution, it was confisquee on the count d' Orsay.
Since its erection in chief town of district, Nogent became the main city of the old province of the Pole. She saw being born general the Saint-pol., keep silent from the attack of the Malakoff tower.
The church Saint-Hilaire (historic building), that a beautiful avenue plantee the ormeaux one connects to the station, high on Right Bank of Huisne, in a marshy enclosure recently surrounds by walls. This church, founded at the end of X E or the beginning of the XI E century, is composed of parts of various times. The principal gate, without character, was disfigures to the XVII E or the XVIII E century. It east surmounts by an ogival bay, has blazing mullions, registered in an acute pinion. One notices also outside: the windows of the low dimensions, surmontees of pinions has hooks; the waste-gas mains, of which several are unfortunately mutilees; and especially the tower, built out of stones of size (1560) as all the remainder of the building, above the final vault collateral the South. This tower, square, opening in its upper part of ogival bays have serrations, ends in a gallery surrounding a small dome, which surmounts an up to date lantern. The outside of Saint-Hilaire was restores partly in 1866. Inside, we will announce the ogival arcade which separate the principal nave of the sanctuary, and whose archivolt decorated with a beautiful garland of foliage is pressed on pillars decorate with platform or pinnacles carve. The furnace bridges are surmount Greek retables in the taste of the XVIII E century. On the top of the arcades of the nave twelve tables more than poor are suspended, representing the Apostles. Another fabric, given in 1866, by the government, is a copy of the Saint Michel embanking the dragon of Raphael. Some modern stained glasses in mosaic and a beautiful confessional, also modern, in the ogival pen of the XV E century, draw also the attention.
Beside the Saint-Hilaire church, other dimension of the street of the same name, extends the new cemetery, plants green trees partly.
The church Notre-Dame (historic building), daus the street Doree, formerly vault of the hospital, has preserve of old only one principal gate (XII E or XIII E century), decorates with mouldings in teeth of saw. Many transformations made lose with the remainder of the building its primitive character. Inside, composes of three naves, one note: the columns, has conical capitals; a rosette furnished with stained glasses, above the arcade which separate the nave of the chorus; windows of collateral, the ogival style blazing. In bottom dimensions of left, above the furnace bridge, a niche voutee in half dome contains a curious crib, whose characters, fourteen, represent, in addition to the Jesus Child, the Blessed Virgin and holy Joseph, the Magi, the shepherds and several angels. The magi have the crown on the head, and one of them carries a quadrant to the hand.
Beside the church, in the street of Sully, the main entrance of the hotel God (historic building) is, old hospital of Saint-Jacob of Alms, founds in 1190 by the count Rotrou IV. The current buildings are modern, except for the large door flanquee of columns supporting a pediment or saw, before the Revolution, the weapons of Sully, supportees by two Hercules. Sully was, indeed, after the count Rotrou, the principal benefactor of this establishment. In the court, on the right while entering, against the church Notre-Dame, a hexagonal shelter, built by Rachel de Cochefilet, widow of the large minister, the tomb of the duke and the duchess of Sully contains (to visit it, to address itself to the caretaker of the hospital; tip). A stone pedestal, covered with painting, supports the white marble statues of two the famous dead ones, covered with their large costume and represent has knees, the united hands. In front of them, two small white marble cushions, carry, one two sticks of command and the ducal crown, the other, a book of prayers. The nipples which decorated these cushions, were breezes during the Revolution, as well as clover of the crown. On the former face of the pedestal are sculptees, out of white marble, the weapons of the two husbands; the dimension which faces the main door offers those of the husband alone accompagnees of Hercules in supports. The base of the statue of Sully carries the name of the sculptor and the date of work: B. Bovdin. F. 1642. Opposite the mausoleum, against the wall of the funerary vault, an inscription reproduces the ten commands of God. In the wall opposes, a large marble table offers the epitaph of Sully and Rachel de Cochefilet. This epitaph was restored in 1784, by Pierre-Gaspard-Marie Grimod, count d' Orsay, of Antrey and Nogent-le-Bethune (Nogent-le-Rotrou), so much on its behalf than in that of the princess of Hohenlohe-Waldenbourg, her wife. It is at least what notes an additional inscription, partly unobtrusive has blows of hammer. Lastly, close to the tomb, on the ground, a bust of Sully is demounting, out of bronze, formerly place on a cippe in the garden of the hospital, that a grid separate of the street Doree. Sully and Rachel de Cochefilet rested, before the Revolution, in a vault, below the monument; but their ashes were thrown to the wind in 1793.
The church the St. Lawrence (historic building), close to the street of the same name, was increased and rebuilt has various times. It is surmontee of a square tower, out of stones of size, decoree of cornices elegantly sculptees. The mullioned windows of collateral of right-hand side and the ogival arcades of the nave appear to date from the XVI E century. The church entiere is currently (1866) the object of important restorations. The principal nave, formerly covered with a skirting out of wooden, was voutee; all the interior walls were painted in white; the vaults of the Font and the Virgin, at the entry of collateral, were decorees polychrome paintings of a satisfactory effect. In the vault of the Virgin, a beautiful stained glass represents, in four compartments: Annunciation, the Marriage of the Virgin, the Escape in Egypt and Jesus in the middle of the doctors. Other stained glasses decorate the windows of the chorus, which still a furnace bridge and a woodwork of the XVIII E century dishonour. We will finally announce, in the nave, a good table of the Martyrdom of SAINT LAURENT.
Against the apse of the church, a passage ribbed vault gives entered a street or one notices the prison and the court, install in an old convent. With dimension, high the college, founds to the XVI E century. by Jacques Lescot, bishop of Chartres. Nogent-le-Rotrou has also a small seminar known as of Notre-Dame, and an institution the deaf-mute ones, dirigee by the sisters of the Immaculate Conception.
The castle of Midsummer's Day, thus names of a church dediee has holy Jean-Baptiste and has holy Jean the Evangelist, that the count Geoffroi II had made build his fortress concurrently to, is drawn up at the top of an abrupt hill, of or it dominates the city and all the surrounding country. On the slopes of the hill houses and gardens are staged; but the difficult and tortuous slopes which lead to the top in too many places are bordered of wretched hovels, whose badly famed population encumbers the ways of refuse and continues the visitors of its importunate requests.
After behaving been the residence of the former counts of the Pole, the castle of Nogent was also one of the favorite residences of the family of Cop, of which the presence.fut more once safeguard for the city. The prince of Conde is established there, in 1566, with Francoise of Orleans, his second wife, who gave the day to it has Charles, count de Soissons. Catherine de Medicis was accepted there in 1573, at the time of the voyage which it made in Anjou to go to join her young person sons. Later, Sully was caught has its turn of affection for its new field. He wanted to make restore the castle; but, while having been prevents by the complaints of the monks of Saint-Denis, it withdrew itself has Villebon. During the Revolution, the castle of Midsummer's Day was several times sold, initially has a cabinetmaker of Paris, which tried to restore it, then finally has a speculator, who unnecessarily tried to cut down it to adulterate materials, has Mrs. the countess of Reiset, which bought it to withdraw it from the vandalism of the black band. The old manor of the counts of the Pole, mutilates by the wars and by time, is still one of most beautiful and the most interesting feudal ruins. It belongs today perhaps has Mr. Desmurs, who was made a charming residence there, with the detriment of the historical memories and character of this old building.
A sign applies to the door of the external enclosure defends to penetrate without permission in the gardens which surround the fortress, along old the pits covered today with greenery. But to obtain this permission and that to visit the interior of the castle, gracefully opened the abroads, it is necessary to penetrate in the enclosure and to go to sound without fear with the large door of the castle.
The oldest part of this castle is the keep founds by the count Geoffroi II (1003-1030). Like the majority of the keeps of the same time, it forms a parallelogram longer than broad. The walls, which have more than 3 bills of quantities base width and which rise is 35 bills of quantities height, are reinforce by buttresses of which the thickness decreases gradually by stage in stage. The primitive entry of the keep, of level with the first stage, was masquee and remplacee since 1492 by a door has drawbridge and by two turns which surmounts a covered gallery, machicolation has, and which crown of the conical roofs. In Nogent as in all the keeps of the XI E century, one went down from the first stage in the lower apartments, which outwards did not have doors. To the second stage, the tower of the keep was divisee by a wall relates to the ground floor to two arcades cintrees. On the second floor, one still notices chimneys extremely curious in the walls about North, of the West and of the South wrenchings of the beams and the beams prove that the keep of Nogent contained four stages. It was dismantles, in 1378, by order of Charles V, to prevent that the English or the companies which ran France did not strengthen there.
The curtains or ramparts and the pits deep which compose the enclosure of the castle are posterior, at least as a whole, with the same keep. This enclosure has irregular sides contains another much the smaller, forming a court around the keep.
Mr. Desmurs joined together in the castle of Nogent of interesting collections of pieces of furniture, tapestries and paintings of the Middle Ages and the Rebirth, with which mix with the chinoiseries and various curiosities. Windows of the castle and garden which surrounds it, one discovers splendid points of view on Nogent-le-Rotrou, the valley of Huisne and the meadows which this river and its affluent sprinkle, the Small-Rhone.
The town hall of Nogent is a beautiful construction recently high between the street Chaponnerie and the place of Walk. The difference in level between the place and the street made it possible to establish under the building of vast covered markets, whose entry is of lime pit foot on the place. With the upper floor of the town hall the theatre and the communal library, open every day to the public are installees.
In the middle of the place of Walk, was erigee, in 1857, the bronze statue of general the Saint-pol., poor work of the Debay sculptor. One of the faces of the granite pedestal carries this inscription: Jam nobilis, dead nobilior (noble by its aieux, nobler by its death).
Several streets of Nogent-le-Rotrou still offer old interesting houses. We will announce, inter alia:
- rue Saint-Laurent, 47, a house whose door, surmontee of turrets engaged in corbelling, offer this inscription have double direction: OF PIERRE WHITE DURAND FEBVRIER I WAS FAICTE 1542.
What wants to say that 1542, Pierre Durand and Blanche February, his wife, built this residence;
- rue Giroust. a house has turrets, going back to 1579
- rue Bourg- the-Count, houses carrying the n? 2 and 5;
- with the angle of the street the St. Lawrence and street Doree, an old house out of wooden, whose first stage in corbelling is supported by beams curiously sculptees, but offering several details obscenes;
- rue Doree, 83 and 85, a house has raised roof, decorates with waste-gas mains, and, on crawling, with sheets of cabbages (the doors of this house have preserve their old line fittings), etc
We have already speaks about the beautiful walks plantees of trees which frame the meadows situees in the center of the city. It will be enough for us to mention:
- a fountain, made up of two basins superposees and a small water jet, street Cartwright trade, close to Notre-Dame
- several bridges on Huisne
- a beautiful establishment of baint, street Saint-Hilaire
- and especially the curious mills superimpose which moving the successive falls of Huisne and the Small-Rhone put.
Cheesecloth factories, of burats, serges, of breluches and other fabrics of wool employ has Nogent-le-Rotrou a great number of workmen. Huisne and its affluents abound in crayfish, of which sinned it is a source of revenue for several poor families (one finds almost constantly, at the station of the railroad, the women which offer to the travellers crayfish has low prices has those of the walk of Paris).
The surroundings of Nogent offer pretty walks, picturesque sites and some curious monuments. One will particularly visit with interest (3 kilometers) the charming valley of Arcisse, his cascades and the ruins of the old monastery of Arcisse. The church of Margon high in a charming situation (2 kilometers in North East of Nogent), close to the confluence of Arcisse and Huisne, on a height of or one discovers the castle of Nogent. This small building, which was gives about the middle of the XI E century the monks of Saint-Denis has Nogent by one of Rotrou, count of the Pole, offers parts of the XI E and the XV E century. The two statues of the high altar come from the abbey of Arcisse. Below the cemetery a manor (1617) is seen names the House and bores many loopholes; it was the residence of the lords of Margon. On the territory of the same commune, in the valley of Huisne, close to the farm of Borders, is a dolmen forms of a stone laid down horizontally on other vertical stones.
Source: General route of France, volume 8 Per Adolphe Joanne in 1867.
It is with the Middle Ages that a new borough is established with the foot of the mound fortifiee of or will spout out the silhouette of the Midsummer's Day castle which always dominates the city. ROTROU 1st (955-998) was the first of a dynasty of lords of Nogent etc then Pole. True crossroads of roads and '' country '', quotes it is situee in! the valley of Huisne. Capital of the Pole, very beautiful area with the undulating and green landscape, dotee of a rich person passes historical and cultural being worth to him inter alia, to appear within the network of the '' 100 more beautiful turnings of France ''.
Nogent-le-Rotrou (hot.: joined together Dolphin and of Saint-Jacob, street Charornnerie; green Ball, places Walk; railroad of the West, close to the station; booksellers, Ronsin and Cirou), Town of 7105 inhabitants, chief town of district of the department of Eure-et-Loir, is situee has 105 bills of quantities of altitude, on Huisne. Built in the middle of one laughing small valley, which in the South a slope escarpe dominates, it offers all at the same time approvals of the city and the charms of the countryside. Nogent is composed, indeed, of four main streets which, similar to the long galleries of a cloister, form an irregular parallelogram in the medium of which extend from beautiful and vast meadows. Long avenues sablees, plantees of trees and broadsides of pits filled with water, facilitate the communications from one district to another and end in the public walks or has pretty houses cachees at the bottom of their expenses gardens. This provision gives has Nogent an aspect singuliere and a very-large extent, little in connection with its population.
Source: Contributor Large Titus.
nogent le rotrou, French city Department of eure et loir with 1 historical site listed or simply studied for their remarkable character.
Our database currently includes 1 elements for heritage nogent le rotrou. You will find the menu and footer links leading you on the description sheets.
There are 101 localities (Place called, location known as) in Nogent le rotrou : le clos ; le verger ; l orme ; la vigne ; la richardiere ; les 4 vents ; les sablons ; le val ; beauvais ; la masure ; le gravier ; les 3 chenes ; l aumonerie ; la closerie ; la noue ; le cormier ; la groie ; la grande plante ; les girardieres ; le chene brule ; les terres douces ; le petit sablon ; la vieille cour ; le bois robert ; le thuret ; la beausserie ; le broussil ; ces brossolette ; l angellerie ; l aunay d en bas ; l aunay d en haut ; l ecoterie ; la bouchetiere ; la breviere ; la caserne des pompiers ; la cheneliere ; la filandriere ; la gaudonniere ; la gourie ; la grande aubepine ; la grande godeliere ; la grande joisiere ; la grange cormier ; la grassetiere ; la grille d aunay ; la guesniere ; la herpiniere ; la messesselle ; la mulardiere ; la mustiere ; la petite cheneliere ; la petite godeliere ; la petite joisiere ; la petite malerie ; la petite plante ; la pictiere ; la pourchasserie ; la redillere ; la ribeaudiere ; la tendronniere ; la tuilerie d en bas ; la tuilerie d en haut ; la tuilerie de gaumert ; le baguet ; le bois du val ; le chaillouet ; le champ du pressoir ; le clos couronnet ; le four gauthier ; le grand genetais ; le grand radray ; le gue pleureur ; le haut baguet ; le jonc marin ; le margas ; le montgagnier ; le moulin le comte ; le paturail ; le petit bois de l aumone ; le petit genetais ; le petit gravier ; le petit radray ; le petit vignier ; le puits massiot ; le tertre masnier ; le vignier ; les 2 amis ; les guillemotieres ; les lugeres ; les pantoires ; les petites salles ; les robinets ; les trotteries ; chapechatre ; chiot ; gaumert ; pados ; pitre ; polka ; prena ; maison de la bete.
listeds buildings (classified and protected) in Nogent le rotrou
Monuments in Nogent le rotrou, Nogent le rotrou has 11 buildings protected. Include :
- Ancienne abbaye Saint-Denis official reference : PA00097172 ;
- official reference : PA00097173 ;
- Eglise Notre-Dame official reference : PA00097174 ;
- Eglise Saint-Hilaire official reference : PA00097175 ;
- Eglise Saint-Laurent official reference : PA00097176 ;
- Maison (Bourg-le-Comte (rue) 3) official reference : PA00097177 ;
- Maison (Gouverneur (rue du) 83) official reference : PA00097178 ;
- Maison dite du Bailli (Saint-Laurent (rue) 47) official reference : PA00097179 ;
- Manoir dit La Grande Maison official reference : PA00097180 ;
- (Sully (rue de)) official reference : PA00097243 ;
- Immeuble ou maison Coulon (anciennement dite de l'Ecu de Bretagne) official reference : PA00125354
Places of Culture
Museum nogent le rotrou, nogent le rotrou has 1 Museum :
- Musée du Château Saint-Jean (Rue du Château 28400 nogent-le-rotrou)
Ouvert du mercredi au lundi de 10h à 12h et de 14h à 18h
closed : 1er janvier, 1er mai, 1er novembre, 25 décembre
Librarie nogent le rotrou, nogent le rotrou has 1 Librarie :
- bibliotheque municipale (74 rue gouverneur 28400 nogent le rotrou)
Cinema de nogent le rotrou, nogent le rotrou has 1 cinema :
- rex (26 place du 11 aout, 28400 nogent le rotrou)
Statistics for Nogent le rotrouTown or city : nogent le rotrou
Postcode of city : 28400
Insee code : 28280
Latitude : 48.317638
place called : 101
alley : 2
avenue : 11
path : 8
dead : 9
place : 6
route : 7
st : 129
lane : 9
« Manor said the Grande Maison » is a construction of the city of Nogent le rotrou (France, Eure et loir). Manor said the Grande Maison, French Heritage monument to Nogent le rotrou