Pyrite mine and plant products chemical (sulphuric acid) fonts, French Heritage monument to St julien les rosiers

Buildings of traditional architecture in 1 single-storey square on ground floor arched
* approximately 1 km northeast plotted another site at the location of the well of the Roberts. Surface of the site in m2: 11500 factory of Rosacea (by lixivation) belonging to the Abbey of the Fonts in the 15th century. Destruction in 1703 (war of the Camisards). Recovery in 1774 by the sieur Marette, of Norman origin, interruption during the Revolution, resumed at the beginning of the Empire, devastating flooding in 1812. Recovery by Isaac Mina who sells around 1830 to Louis Bonnal Rocheblave, silk merchant in Alès. 1854: grant of pyrite known as Saint-Julien-de-Grimsby to l. Bonnal Rocheblave. From 1857, the mine feeds: plant. Merle Salindres and the Pechiney co. made first to lease and operate the site by its subsidiary the Société of the Pyrites to Alais and then buys circa 1880 (he is at the peak of its production, 20 to 25 000 t per year). Construction of various buildings from 1867, in particular the well Guimet in 1878, then in 1882 Roberts research well, but the deposit runs and the operation decreases. It remains very low except in times of crisis or war until the final closure in 1961. Ruins of buildings of the 18th century and part of those of the 19th century. Bay stone frames have been removed, some are in re-use on the farm which replaces the old Abbey of the Fonts.1878: boiler and steam from the Guimet well made by Veillon in Alès

Source: Ministry of Culture, France

pyrite mine and plant products chemical (sulphuric acid) fonts

Reported to be remarkable heritage of quality.

Structural information

pyrite mine and plant products chemical (sulphuric acid) fonts, Buildings of traditional architecture in 1 single-storey square on ground floor arched; approximately 1 km northeast plotted another site at the location of (...) Pyrite mine and plant products chemical (sulphuric acid) fonts, French Heritage monument to St julien les rosiers st julien les rosiers, gard

Location and general information

  • identifier : 46359
  • item : mine de pyrite et usine de produits chimiques (acide sulfurique) des Fonts
  • Location of the building :
    • Languedoc-Roussillon
    • Gard
    • Saint-Julien-les-Rosiers
  • Place name : la Minette
  • INSEE code of the municipality : 30274
  • Zip code of the municipality : 30340
  • Order in the communal list : 2
  • Name of the building : The building is designated by the following 2 names :
    • mine
    • plant
  • State : The building had 2 different states :
    • remains
    • disrepair

Dates and times

  • Period of construction : 4 different epochs of evolution of the building.
    • 18th century
    • 3rd quarter 18th century
    • 19th century
    • Second half 19th century
  • Years :
    • 1878
    • 1882
  • Investigation : 1989
  • Date taken into account : 1995/12/22

Construction, architecture and style

  • Materials: 2 elements are used in the main structure of the building.
    • rubble
    • stone
  • Roofing : Coverage of this building is varied there are 2 different types :
    • roof with long tails
    • roof
  • Materials (roofing) :
    • We do not have this information.
  • Other about the composition roofs :
    • A mode of coverage listed 'vault'
  • Floors :
    • floor type : 1 floor square
  • Stairs :
    • No stairs mentioned on this construction.
  • Decoration of the building :
    • No information about decoration.
  • Representation :
    • No information on the ornamentation of the place.
  • Typology :
    • The only information on the typology 'rectangular'
  • Plan :
    • We do not know the type of plan for this building.

Monument and history of the place

  • Elements protected MH (historical monument) :
    • Any particular element of the building is subject to protection in our database.
  • Constituent areas : 4 distinct parts in the constitution of this place :
    • workshop
    • manufacturing workshop
    • shelter
    • Bing
  • Parties constituantes étudiées :
    • no information.
  • Use :
    • We do not know the different uses that have been made of this construction.

Other

  • Other :
    • other Information : private property
  • Author of the survey MH : Wienin Michel
  • Mérimée reference : IA00128632

The complete official record is available at Région Languedoc-Roussillon - Service chargé de l'inventaireBâtiment le BELEM - 355, rue Vendémiaire 34 000 Montpellier - 04.67.22.86.86


source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.

Participate in the increase of the database

You have "old photos" of the monument or recent, you know this monument and want to share your photos, knowledge, stories about him, click here.

The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.