Château de Saint-Dizier
One does not find many information on the old castle of Saint-Dizier, some rare documents allow us however to have seen one of his history like that extracted the champagne chronicle:
Here three receipts which are useful has to make known to us the name of three governors of the castle of St-Dizier. '' Michel de Castelnau de Mauvissiere, knight, captain of fifty men-at-arms, and governor of the town of Saint-Dizier, reconnoit to have received the sum of 1200 liv. ts. in let us test, for the expenses of a voiage makes on post horses of Paris at the La Rochelle and in several places and seaports.
Fact on April 24, 1571. ''
'' Quittance of Jean de Ligouim, governor of the city and castle of Saint-Dizier, the sum of 300 ECUs, received of Emond Berthelin, general receiver of finances in the Champagne general information, ordered to us by monseigneur the duke of Own way.
Fact the i5 aoust 1594. ''
'' Benoist Roy, lieutenant for the king with the government of the city and castle of Saint-Dizier, under the sior of Besme, governor of the known as place, reconnoit to have received from Jean Cartwright, general thresorier of extraordinary of the wars, the sum of 45 liv. ts.
Fact on June 16, 1611. ''
The history of the city still gives us some information on the state of the castle at the end of the XIXe century but hardly here its history:
History of Saint-Dizier
Saint-Dizier owes his name has a saint bishop of Langres martyrise towards the end of IIIe century by the Vandals. In Ve century, the destruction of the town of Perthes by the barbarians made ebb the inhabitants has Saint-Dizier. The city accepted new additions in posterior times: the suburb of Gigny, forms village of the same name, is former to Xe century; the suburb the Valley depended on the parish of Hallignicourt and was joined together at the city in XVIe century.
The first lord of Saint-Dizier who is known for us is Hilderent de Dampierre. The Anselme father at the head puts his series of the lords of Saint-Dizier, Thibaut, lord of Dampierre, which lived in 1090. The inhabitants were freed in 1228, by Guillaume II of Dampierre-Bourbon and Marguerite, countess of Flanders, his wife. A complete charter, forming a body of laws, constituted the rights and the reciprocal duties of the lord and his vassal. Thirteen elected aldermen each year were loads of the police force and the judgement of the civil actions and criminal. The baillif of the lord had then other authority only that to represent his Master, to make carry out the judgements of the aldermen and to convene the whole crowd and of the seigniory.
In 1488, when Saint-Dizier was joined together with the crown, the baillif absorbed has his profit the rights of justice of the aldermen. We said that the first lord was Hilderent de Dampierre; this family had Saint-Dizier until the end of XIVe century, time to which a third of the ground was buys by Charles VII; the other thirds passerent has Jean de Vergy, heir by the women to the last owner, and were joined together with the crown in 1434.
In 1560, the douaire of Marie Stuart was established on the ground of Saint-Dizier. Sometimes this princess took the liter of lady of Saint-Dizier. During the wars of XVIe century, the members of a league occuperent Saint-Dizier of 1584 has 1594. Claude of Lorraine gave this city has Henri IV who visited it in 1603.
At the XVIIe century, the duke of Orleans was owner of Saint-Dizier and its descendants have it preserve until 1790. Saint-Dizier, while developing by the industry of his inhabitants, became, under the influence of the old municipal franknesses, an important fortifiee city. Moreri quotes us the memorable defense which made the count de Sancerre, locks up in this quotes, against the army of Charles-Quint, in 1544, bravely supported by the '' churls and inhabitants of Saint-Dizier, '' of or is remainder still today the nickname of '' Bragars de Saint-Dizier. '' Courage that in this circumstance the inhabitants of this city deployerent is above any praise. The count obtained by them a capitulation which enabled him to leave the city, signs deployees, '' with the sound of the tambourine, in mode of war. '' On this occasion, the Parliament of Paris ordered a solemn procession or one sang Te Deum the '' to return thanks to God of the virile resistance of the churls and inhabitants of Saint-Dizier ''.
When the peace of Crepy had returned this city to France, the king made raise his fortifications. Michel de Castelnau de Mauvissiere, knight, were governor of Saint-Dizier in 1571. Jean de Lingoin was it in 1574. Henri IV and Marie de Medicis made their solemn entry has Saint-Dizier on April 10, 1603.
In 1775, a violent one fire devoured more than two hundred houses has Saint-Dizier. The Notre-Dame church, founded in XIIe century by Guy II of Dampierre, and all the public edifices were envelopes in this sad destruction. Helps were bring to the inhabitants by the cities close and the bishop to Trawl-nets, Mr. de Juigne.
Today, Saint-Dizier is a pretty city, formee of right and well bored streets, bordered of well built houses. It is re-elected for the industry of irons, its forging mills and the exploitation of the timber structural for the use of the navy which beautiful the drills produce which border it. The prices of Saint-Dizier make authority on the steps of the pig iron and cast iron and irons in France.
The fortifications of this quotes entirely disappeared, and there remain nothing any more but some traces of its old castle. On the site occupies formerly by one of the most considerable turns, Extremely-Squares, one has just built an elementary school.
Source: Industrial historical geography and statistics of the department of the High Marne by Jean-Baptiste Carnandet in 1860
Crédit photo : Lomyre (Castle of Saint-Dizier, st dizier)
Castle of Saint-Dizier, Patrimoine classé ou inscrit dit 'Château de Saint-Dizier' à st dizier (haute marne 52100). Les fortifications de cette cité ont entièrement disparu, et il ne reste plus que quelques traces de son ancien château. st dizier, haute marne
Contributions documentaries made by visitors
Voir cette photo en grand
Contact contributor with his mail for more information.
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.