(Former) Priory, French Heritage monument to Meillerie
The site of the parish church of Meillerie was founded in the middle ages a Priory of canons regular of St. Augustine, dependent on the great St. Bernard hospice. The Priory maintained its spiritual and temporal control until its suppression in 1752. The buildings then consisted of a castle and a defensive Tower isolated serving of prison. In 1803, the old Priory is retrieved as a church and rectory. A nave was built, connecting the former chapel and the primitive belfry. The stained-glass Windows have been broken in 1822 by a storm, the oculus and two twin bays of the bedside are walled. New stained glass, due to Jean - Augustin Bessac, arisen in 1877. The roof was rebuilt in 1895. The 13th century remain the choir of the Chapel and Bell Tower.
Source: Ministry of Culture, France
Crédit photo : jc deroudilhe ((Former) Priory, meillerie)
(Former) Priory, The site of the parish church of Meillerie was founded in the middle ages a Priory of canons regular of St. Augustine, dependent on the great St. Bernard (...) (Former) Priory, French Heritage monument to Meillerie meillerie, haute savoie
Contributions documentaries made by visitors
Voir cette photo en grand
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.