Fortifications of urban area, French Heritage monument to Eymoutiers
Work carried out in the former convent of the Ursulines in 1980 revealed a Postern of the first enclosure. The walls of 16th-century ran parallel to Northeast bed of the Vienna, then followed westerly boulevard Karl-Marx, Saint-Psalmet Street and the street of the Penitents, and joined the Vienna East along the fence of the convent of the Ursulines. It was already in ruins at the end of the 18th century, only remain today the traces of two towers on the edge of the Vienna. Successive speakers of city. The first fortification could date from the 2nd quarter of the 15th century, as in 1428 Bishop and the chapter, 'co-Lords of Eymoutiers', give the inhabitants a Charter franchise and allow them to surround their city walls, towers and ditches. The second fortification, the expanded scope, can be dated to the second half of the 16th century: its plot, remaining in 1789, was certainly fixed at the end of the 16th century. It had 4 doors: door Psalmet St. to the West, the Saint-Etienne to the South door, door fan to the East and the door Notre-Dame or Porte Neuve to the North.
Source: Ministry of Culture, France
Fortifications of urban area, Work carried out in the former convent of the Ursulines in 1980 revealed a Postern of the first enclosure. The walls of 16th-century ran parallel to Northeast (...) Fortifications of urban area, French Heritage monument to Eymoutiers eymoutiers, haute vienne
The complete official record is available at Conseil régional du Limousin - Service chargé de l'inventaire6, rue Haute-de-la-Comédie 87036 Limoges cedex - 05.55.45.66.00
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.