Former convent of Augustins, French Heritage monument to Mortemart
The convent of the Augustinian housed a community of canons, which was founded in the 14th century by Cardinal Gawain de Mortemart. The main activity of the community was the education of young people. From a medieval cloister, which survives only a few rare vestiges, the canons have rebuilt at the end of the 18th century building of the South Wing. This building is attributed to the architect Brousseau. It was impounded in the Revolution and was assigned the Sénatorerie of Limoges as the nearby Carmelite Convent in 1805. The estate was bought by an individual in 1823. The convent consists of a long body of rectangular housing with rear-plan, a half-turn in the flat wall. The south facade is the most interesting with its decor - very simple - and the symmetry of his order. It presents the centre a flat stem topped with a triangular pediment. It is punctuated by the bays of Windows on two levels.
Source: Ministry of Culture, France
Crédit photo : Lumière du matin (Former convent of Augustins, mortemart)
Former convent of Augustins, The convent of the Augustinian housed a community of canons, which was founded in the 14th century by Cardinal Gawain de Mortemart. The main activity of the (...) Former convent of Augustins, French Heritage monument to Mortemart mortemart, haute vienne
Contributions documentaries made by visitors
Voir cette photo en grand
Contact contributor with his mail for more information.
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.