Hautes-Alpes are one of the 83 departments create on March 4, 1790, pursuant to the law of December 22, 1789. It was constitutes south-eastern part of Dauphine and north of Provence.
With the creation of the department, the communes of the Low register and of Villar-with Arene (valley of Romanche) reclamerent their fastening in Hautes-Alpes because they hoped to profit thus from the advantageous statute of Escartons of Brianconnais.
Department and districts:
- 1790 (March 4): creation of the department of Hautes-Alpes (4 districts (Brian?on, Spray, Gap, Greenhouses), 39 cantons), Chorges chief town
- 1790: the chief town of the department east transfers from Chorges has Gap;
- 1800 (February 17): creation of the districts: Gap, Brian?on, Spray and new cutting of the cantons;
- 1926 (September 10): removal of the district of Spray;
- about 1800?: the canton of Monestier-in Ambel east detaches from Hautes-Alpes to be attaches to Isere;
- 1811: the canton of Barcillonnette east detaches from the Low-Alps to be attaches to Hautes-Alpes;
- 1947 (February 10, draft of Paris): correction of border with Italy, annexation of the Mount Thabor (Narrow Valley) and of the Mount Chaberton (Montgenevre)
Principal modifications having affects the communes:
- Evolution of the number of communes
The department of Hautes-Alpes east occupies by fascistic Italy of November 1942 has September 1943.
Hautes-Alpes are a department locate in the Alps of the South, frame by the departments of Alp-of-High-Provence, Drome, Isere and Savoy like by Italy.
It includes/understands only five agglomerations which can be truly qualifiees cities, Gap, Brian?on, Embrun (formerly sub-prefecture, until 1926), Laragne and Veynes.
One finds there the town hall highest of France, Saint-Veran, village locates has 2 042 m of altitude. Gap is the highest prefecture of France (740 m) in front of Mende in Lozere, and Brian?on (1 326 m) one of the highest cities of the European Union.
It is a very mountainous department, highest on average in France (the most raised average altitude, more of the third of surface exceeds 2 000 m). It varies from 430 m in Buech has 4 102 m (Bar of the Jewel cases). It is also the department with the highway network more raised, with an average altitude of about 1 000 Mr.
- Consequence of the Mediterranean influence on the one hand, and the weak influence of oceanic precipitations on the other hand (precipitations discharging on the solid mass from the Jewel cases), strong the 300 days sunning per annum which is worth at the department tourism of winter like summer.
- Cours d' water: the Durance, Drac, Buech, Claree, Guil, Guisane, Severaisse, the Highone.
- Lake of Greenhouse-Poncon: 3 000 hectares with a common power station: Savines-the-lake.
- Geographical areas: Brianconnais, Bochaine (or country of Buech), Champsaur-Valgaudemar, Devoluy, Embrunais, Gapencais, Guillestrois, Laragnais, Queyras, Serrois - Rosanais, Veynois, Valgaudemar, Country of the Jewel cases
latest Department notices
Bakery to Nevache
Around 1830, was bread once year, during winter, in the Northern oven. ... The dough was kneaded on-site in boiling water. Boiled rye bread tasted sweet gingerbread. We worked all night. The bread was then kept in one-piece ventilated and insulated, where it moisissait not. When it became hard, been cut off and he was eaten soaked.
Hotel guests said the Grand Hotel, French Heritage monument to Abries 46
In 1894 at the initiative of Senator Toy Riont and a group ... of businessmen from the Queyras formed a company that built the luxury grand hotel, managed by a maît (...) Hotel guests said the Grand Hotel, French Heritage monument to Abries
Parish Church of St. Lawrence, French Heritage monument to Arvieux 14
The current nave consists of 3 bays arched edges; the chorus of ... square plan is also Vault; the tower is covered with a stone Spire the parish of Arvieux is (...) Parish Church of St. Lawrence, French Heritage monument to Arvieux
Chapelle Notre-Dame-des-Neiges and Saint-Antoine, French Heritage monument to Briancon 30
Small building of rectangular plan covered a wooden ceiling. Bell Tower wall ... pierced an arcade full-arch on the front Gable. On this front, small committed (...) Chapelle Notre-Dame-des-Neiges and Saint-Antoine, French Heritage monument to Briancon
Remains of so-called master Manoir de Pregentil, French Heritage monument to St jean st nicolas 12
The Manor of Fregentil was built in the early 16th century; at ... the end of 19th century it was again flanked by a decouronnee round, only the façade has (...) Remains of so-called master Manoir de Pregentil, French Heritage monument to St jean st nicolas
Church parish Saint-coat, then Saint-Marcellin-Saint-Antoine, French Heritage monument to Nevache 75
The Church is built in the heart of the hamlet and surrounded ... on three sides by the cemetery. single nave two bays and chorus of square plan covered a (...) Church parish Saint-coat, then Saint-Marcellin-Saint-Antoine, French Heritage monument to Nevache
Unfinished Church in the architectural ensemble of the stronghold, French Heritage monument to Mont dauphin 1
« Unfinished Church in the architectural ensemble of the stronghold » is ... a construction of the city of Mont dauphin (France, Hautes alpes). Unfinished Church in the architectural ensemble of the stronghold, French Heritage monument to Mont dauphin 1
Church of Notre-Dame of the Aquilon, French Heritage monument to Guillestre 2
Building built from 1507 to 1532, on the site of a former ... smaller Church from Galeazzo plans. New Church non-oriented probably due to a lack of space. The apse (...) Church of Notre-Dame of the Aquilon, French Heritage monument to Guillestre
Black penitents Chapel, currently cinema, French Heritage monument to Briancon 39
The Chapel, located below the street, consists of a nave of two ... spans of edges and a choir of square plan vaulted edges. A small lean-to building precedes it (...) Black penitents Chapel, currently cinema, French Heritage monument to Briancon
Presentation of the city Château-Ville-Vieille, French Heritage monument to Chateau ville vieille 54
« Presentation of the city Château-Ville-Vieille » is a construction of the ... city of Chateau ville vieille (France, Hautes alpes). Presentation of the city Château-Ville-Vieille, French Heritage monument to Chateau ville vieille