Church parish Saint-coat, then Saint-Marcellin-Saint-Antoine, French Heritage monument to Nevache

The commune of Nevache, situee in the content of the valley, is dominee by theBlack one, high mountain of 5200 bills of quantities, its hamlets extend on a line along the river. Close to the east the pilgrimage of St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre.

The church of Nevache is beautiful and vast, all the angles and the two gates are built out of stone of size, red marble species and green which one has car of large Areas, close to the collar of Buffere; the gate of midday carries the date of 1490, and carries it to setting offers that of 1498. It is probable that one is remainder ten years to build this church.

With the bottom of the bell-tower are the files of the commune, fermees by two doors, one out of wood and the other out of iron bars of one decimetre width on 45 centimetres thickness; the lock is very complicated; it is necessary to make use of three keys confectionnees well to open it. An old tradition announces that it was the prison of the former lords of Nevache, and one finds with the room of the accounts of Grenoble that there was up to seven at the same time (ndw: to see comment of Hector Ci below on this subject).

Source: History, topography, antiquities, uses, dialects of Hautes-Alpes by J. c.f. Ladoucette in 1848.

The ministry for the culture gives a description much more detailed of the building. One even can there:

  • The church is built in the middle of the hamlet and is bordered, on three dimensions, by the communal cemetery.
  • Single nave, of two spans and chorus of plan squares covered with an intersecting ribs.
  • A vault of two not very deep spans opens on the left side of the second span of the nave.
  • The sacristy borders dimensions it northern chorus and communicates with him by a door.
  • A polygonal chorus of the cantors opens in the south. It seems to replace a provision of origin of which remains, leans with the southern pile of arc-triumphal, a pilaster flanks of a semi-column couronnee of a capital decorates of a human head between two sheets
  • The northern vault presents the same type of elements that chorus and the nave:
    • veins has triple torus,
    • circular keys,
    • oblique trenchers.
  • The whole of the frontages of the church presents a great unit of composition, whatever their site, only varying the detail of the ornamentation or the provision of bays. All are built in blocking on a plinth whose top, cuts in bevel, east installs out of marble white-pink.
  • With the angles, the chains appareillees out of marbles pink and green form broad corner pilasters, with their own base.
  • A cornice creusee of a cavet, appareillee in tuff, surmounting a plank of arches in full-clotheshanger, crown each frontage.
  • The bell-tower is a square tower couronnee of an arrow.
  • Clochez includes/understands a ground floor segmentary barrel vault and a high stage in which scales are installees going up to the bells.
  • At the top of the bell-tower three stages lit by windows geminees are pratiquees.
  • The gate east constitutes of a rectangular door couronnee of a tympanum and encadree of two splaying carrying a curve, registered within a rectangular framework moulding.
  • The crowning of the three posts alternating with projections of splaying is monolith east simulates capitals by means of small accodances
  • the faces decorate vine branches, bird and lily.

Historically speaking, the church was to the XII E century under the term of Saint-Peeling. Nevache was gives by Abbon to Novalaise into 739. In 1120 the parish of Nevache was under the term of Pelage saint, then, it took that of saint Antoine and holy Marcellin. XV E century these two saints was its owners. (see here)

It comprises several inscriptions:

  • 1490 on the southern door,
  • 1498 on the leaves of the Western gate,
  • 1537 on the skirting of the nave.

It was consacree in 1532.

The date of 1769 on a capital of the 15th century is that of a restoration. The ties wood installations at the 17th century were complete by iron ties at the beginning of the 20th century.

Church parish Saint-coat, then Saint-Marcellin-Saint-Antoine
Crédit photo : (Church parish Saint-coat, then Saint-Marcellin-Saint-Antoine, nevache)


Reported to be remarkable heritage of quality.

Structural information

Church parish Saint-coat, then Saint-Marcellin-Saint-Antoine, The Church is built in the heart of the hamlet and surrounded on three sides by the cemetery. single nave two bays and chorus of square plan covered a (...) Church parish Saint-coat, then Saint-Marcellin-Saint-Antoine, French Heritage monument to Nevache nevache, hautes alpes

Location and general information

  • identifier : 5337
  • item : église paroissiale Saint-Pélage, puis Saint-Marcellin-Saint-Antoine
  • Location of the building :
    • Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur
    • Hautes-Alpes
    • Névache
  • Place name : Ville-Haute
  • INSEE code of the municipality : 5093
  • Zip code of the municipality : 05100
  • Order in the communal list : 75
  • Name of the building : The building is designated by the following 2 names :
    • church
    • parish church
  • State :
    • the current state of the monument is not known.

Dates and times

  • Period of construction :
    • We have no information on the time of construction of this monument.
  • Years :
    • 1490
    • 1498
    • 1769
  • Investigation : 1975
  • Date of protection : 1914/05/09 : classé MH
  • Date taken into account : 2003/01/10

Construction, architecture and style

  • Materials: 7 elements are used in the main structure of the building.
    • limestone
    • rubble
    • coating
    • combination device
    • marble
    • masonry
    • tuff
  • Roofing : Coverage of this building is varied there are 3 different types :
    • polygonal spire
    • gable roof
    • roof
  • Materials (roofing) : 2 elements in the composition of the hedge, among them we noted
    • stone cover
    • clapboard
  • Other about the composition roofs : 2 modes of coverage are listed
    • ribbed vault
    • barrel vault
  • Floors :
    • floor type : 1 vessel
  • Stairs :
    • No stairs mentioned on this construction.
  • Decoration of the building :
    • The decor consists of 'painting'
  • Representation : 2 ornamental motifs have been identified
    • virgin
    • angel
  • Typology :
    • No information about typology.
  • Plan :
    • Plan Type 'elongated plane'

Monument and history of the place

  • Elements protected MH (historical monument) :
    • Any particular element of the building is subject to protection in our database.
  • Constituent areas :
    • no information.
  • Parties constituantes étudiées :
    • no information.
  • Use :
    • We do not know the different uses that have been made of this construction.

Other

  • Other : 2 various other information are available
    • region provence-alpes-Côte d'Azur
    • Annunciation on the tympanum of the West Portal. public property
  • Detail :
    • portail
    • porte
  • Authors of the survey MH :
    • Fray François
    • Marciano Florence
  • Mérimée reference : IA05000852

The complete official record is available at service régional de l'inventaire Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur21-23, bd du Roi René 13617 Aix-en-Provence - 04.42.16.19.60

Contributions documentaries made by visitors

Photo de Hector est l'image principale de cette notice.

Voir cette photo en grand

Description of this building by Hector :

L'église Saint Antoine et Saint Marcellin a été construite selon le plan classique des églises du Briaçonnais et de l'Embrunnais. Elle possède une nef unique qui se termine par un coeur moins large que la nef.

Deux chapelles placées à l'entrée du coeur flanquent la nef sur la gauche. L'une appartenait probablement à la confrérie des âmes du purgatoire, une association charitable qui collectait des dons sous la forme de mesures de grains qui étaient destinées à être réparties parmi les indigents de la communauté au printemps, pendant la période dite "'de soudure du blé", moment de l'année où les prix des céréales atteignaient leur maximum. Les deux chapelles sont séparées par un pilier qui porte quatre blasons mutilés probablement à l'époque de la révolution. L'un semble être celui de la famille de Névache, un second celui de la famille Des Ambrois, un troisième celui des Antonins qui possédaient un hospice à Névache, le troisième celui du Saint Siège (car la confrérie des âmes du purgatoire pouvait, comme les confréries de pénitents être symboliquement agrégée au chapitre de Saint Jean du Latran) ou de l'abbaye Saint Pierre et Saint Laurent d'Oulx qui en posséda les dimes jusqu'au XVIII° siècle.

L'entrée de la salle d'archive de la communauté, qui occupe le rez de chaussée du clocher, fait face, à droite de la nef à la chapelle des âmes du purgatoire. La base du clocher est plus ancienne que celui-ci. Plusieurs auteurs d'ouvrages sur Névache ou le Briançonnais ont émis l'hypothèse qu'il pourrait s'agir du vestige d'un château dont l'église et l'actuel cimetière occupent l'emplacement. Il s'agit plus vraisemblablement d'un vestige de l'église qui a précédée l'actuelle et dont l'architecture incorporait une salle qui était destinée à mettre les papiers les plus précieux de la communauté à l'abri des inondations et des incendies.

Contact contributor with his mail for more information.


source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.

Participate in the increase of the database

You have "old photos" of the monument or recent, you know this monument and want to share your photos, knowledge, stories about him, click here.

The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.