Lime Kiln, French Heritage monument to St etienne de chigny
By following the description in the deeds of 1864 and 1874, it would be a mixed, long and short flame intermittent fire oven, heated by the fireplace at the base and coal mixed with stone by the blast, the requirement to have to be at least cooking per month appearing to confirm the character of intermittent. This oven of usable capacity estimated to 18 m3, in 1876, was intended for the production of natural lime. Apart from holes in the surrounding woods, raw material, transported by cart, could come from the careers of Pernay 3,800 km to the North. This oven, isolated, whose approach has not been authorized by the owner, presents itself in the form of a massive quasi-trapezoidal in rubble uncoated with chain corner stone, its height being in the order of 5.50-6 m. it has 3 deep in cradle to segmental arch doorways, open faces West, North, and is. Two of these doorways, West and East, lead to a mouth of pushing in gunboat, and the North doorway at the mouth of gunboat also fireplace. A gallery of circulation, at the bottom of oven, mouths West and is from the North. The blast tube is circled. Access to it was by an Earth ramp which leant against the South face of the oven. The faces of the masonry oven massif are pierced with weep holes high. Coated rubble and stone houses. Bay segmental arch and hanger. The comments made since the highway have been supplemented by information provided by Mr. Jean-Claude cross, who knows the oven to have played as a child. The site was served by a particular pathway. The total area was 3743 m2. The built surface was of 518 sqm. Lime kiln built in 1849, on land owned by him, for Jean Labbé-Gourdon, farmer factory of tile-brick Briquelou in the same joint. Hake tail was formerly called hope. A house was built at the same time, along the current C.D. 48, and a second in 1858 South of the oven. In 1863, the site passed to the Duke of Luynes Albert, and the oven ceases to be operated in 1879, the land registry stating in effect its demolition on this date in 1890. The cessation of the activity there prior to installation in 1882, a school in the first House. Currently, the oven is built into a small property with the House of 1858, outbuildings, courtyard. The lime kiln was operated until 1863 by its owner Jean Labbé-Gourdon, which employed 1-3 servants. Starting October 1, 1864, a lease to rent for a period of 9 years and 2 months has been given by the representative of the Duke of Luynes to François Brossier-Lambert, lease will be renewed for a period of 9 years from November 1, 1874. The presence of permanent workers-chaufourniers is not reported there at his side on the site. In the title of the first lease, François Brossier was housed, as of November 1, 1867, in the house built in 1849, which was also a hostel, and the title of the second in the South of the oven built in 1858.
Source: Ministry of Culture, France
Lime Kiln, By following the description in the deeds of 1864 and 1874, it would be a mixed, long and short flame intermittent fire oven, heated by the fireplace at the (...) Lime Kiln, French Heritage monument to St etienne de chigny st etienne de chigny, indre et loire
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.