Benedictine Priory, now parish church Saint-Genitour, French Heritage monument to Le blanc
Built starting from a prioress, this church has a beautiful Romance bell-tower and a Gothic nave (XIII E century) whose columns are decorated capitals. It will be noted that the chorus (XII E century) is not in the axis of the nave. A hole, practical in the left casement of the door of the egIise, commemorates a wonder of Genitour saint and has the miraculous virtue to cure the diseases of the eyes.
Source: The Limousin Berry by Michelin (2011).
The construction of the church of Saint-Genitour dates from the XII E and XIII E centuries. The frontage does not offer that a door and a slightly ogival window. The left casement of the door is pierce with a hole or superstitious people will put a finger to seek the cure of the diseases of the eyes. The chorus, of rectangular form, is strongly inclines on the left and isolates from the remainder of the church by an arc has very sharp veins. On the vault sculptures grossieres are noticed. The bell-tower, tower square has two stages, raised above the southern transept. According to the tradition and serious indices, it was on this site that the sanctuary of the Virgin was or holy Genitour brought its head and was buried, and this sanctuary, built on the ruins of a pagan temple, would have become the current church of Saint-Genitour.
Source: Bulletin of the academic Company of the Center 1901.
Ministry for the culture
- Church built out of stone of size for the western frontage of the central nave, the bedside, the bell-tower and the turret of staircase
- the remainder is out of coated hardcores
- does covers in tiles for the roofs have long sides has pinions discovered of the nave, of CH? ur, of the two vaults which frame it and the northern arm of the transept
- lean-to building of the low dimensions and roof in house of the slate bell-tower
- the turret of staircase is coiffee of a conical stone roof
- church entirely voutee of ribbed vaults, those of the chorus being of an extremely primitive type
- the vaults of the parts of the 19th century are out of bricks
- the home prioral, out of coated limestone hardcores, has a basement barrel vault in handle of basket
- it is covered with a slate roof has long sides, has croups and has covered pinion
- the small building west coast is covered with a roof has long sides breezes.
- Prioress Benedictine depend on the abbey of Deols, places under the term of Saint-Genitour
- the first mention of the prioress is in a bubble of Pascal II in 1115
- 13th century, the church is designee as being parochial
- the chorus and the bell-tower date from 2nd half of the 12th century
- the nave, the western frontage and the transept date from the 13th century
- about 1489, a vault is built in the south of the chorus for Antoine Morelon
- the two vaults in the north and the south of the third span of the nave are edifiees about 1659 for Pierre Morelon
- the architect O. Rabault builds a vault in the south of the second span of the nave, about 1839
- during the 3rd quarter of the 19th century, the departmental architect Alfred Dauvergne restores and increases the church
- the program carries out, in conformity with the estimates of 1852 and 1855 are the following: construction of a platform and a turret of staircase, addition of three vaults to the north and the south of the first span and the north of the second, installation of a vault in prolongation of bottom dimensions northern
- about 1864, a new sacristy is built northern dimension
- in 1857, Dauvergne had presents a reconstruction project of the chorus with an apse and two absidioles semicircular
- the project was approves but its execution ajournee for lack of money
- from 1889, does the departmental architect Henry Dauvergne prolong towards the east the vault in the north of CH? ur
- the home prioral date completion of the 17th century
- in 1791, it was sold like national good
- at the time of a rehandling, about 1933, its staircase of origin was destroyed.
(Benedictine Priory, now parish church Saint-Genitour, le blanc)
Benedictine Priory, now parish church Saint-Genitour, Church built in stone on the West façade of the central nave, the apse, the Bell Tower and the stair Tower; the rest is rubble-coated; covers, tiles for the (...) Benedictine Priory, now parish church Saint-Genitour, French Heritage monument to Le blanc le blanc, indre
Men involved in this construction
- Rabault o. (in French) architecte
- Dauvergne alfred (in French) architecte départemental
- Dauvergne henry (in French) architecte départemental
Contributions documentaries made by visitors
ancien prieuré de bénédictins, actuellement église paroissiale Saint-Génitour, le blanc
Description of this building by JOJO 4/9 :
L'église St-Génitour, au BLANC (Indre).
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.