The department of Isere belongs to the Rhone-Alps area. It is bordering on the departments of the Rhone, of Ain, of Savoy, of Hautes-Alpes, of Drome, Ardeche and the Loire.
The principal city of the department is Grenoble, prefecture of 155.100 inhabitants (2005).
A river runs in Isere: The Rhone and two affluents of the Rhone, (on its left bank): Isere and Bourbre.
This department is very contrast, with:
- in North, Cold Grounds, the calcareous plate of Isle Cremieu at the edge of the Rhone and to the foot of the Jura;
- in the west, the valley of the Rhone to the foot of the Massif Central;
- middle distance between Grenoble and Lyon has: the plain of the Beaver, Chambarans, country of Valoire and the Voironnais Country;
- with center-is the solid mass of Chartreuse;
- in the center the North-South axis constitutes by the valley of Gresivaudan (or Graisivaudan), piece of the alpine furrow which carries out of Grenoble has Chamb?ry;
- on left bank of Isere the solid masses of Belledonne, the Large Russet-red ones, Jewel cases culminating point of the department has 4.088 m with the Peak Lory, peak of the Bar of the Jewel cases, (4 102 m, itself situee in the department of Hautes-Alpes) and of Vercors in the West.
As a department, Isere was creee with the French Revolution, on March 4, 1790 pursuant to the law of December 22, 1789, starting from part of the old province of Dauphine.
Its limits with the department of the Rhone were several times modifiees:
- In 1852, the appearance of zones urbanisees in periphery of led Lyon has to attach the iseroises communes of Bron, Vaulx-in-Vellum, Venissieux and Villeurbanne in the Rhone; before this date, the commune of Lyon was bordering on Isere.
- In 1967 the urban community of Lyon (current Grand Lyon) is creee; the inter-commune structures of the time not being able to exceed the limits of the departments, 23 communes of Isere (and 6 communes of Ain) are rattachees in the Rhone (Chaponnay, Chassieu, Communay, Corbas, Decines-Charpieu, Feyzin, Genas, Jonage, Jons, Marennes, Meyzieu, Less, Pusignan, Saint-Bonnet-of-Walls, Saint-Laurent-of-Walls, Saint-Pierre-of-Chandieu, Saint-Priest, Saint-Symphorien-in Ozon, the Serezin-of-Rhone, Simandres, Solaize, Ternay and Toussieu).
- In 1971, Dovecote-Saugnieu is detachee of Isere.
latest Department notices
Old Parish Church of Notre-Dame of the Jayere, French Heritage monument to St antoine l abbaye 2
The building is the only remaining evidence of parish churches built during ... the middle ages in the close environment of the Abbey Church of Saint-Antoine. (...) Old Parish Church of Notre-Dame of the Jayere, French Heritage monument to St antoine l abbaye
Old factory-school GHANDOUR, French Heritage monument to St simeon de bressieux 1
The construction of a factory for weaving silk in Saint-Simeon de Bressieux ... is one of the best examples of the industrial boom in Bas-Dauphiné in the second (...) Old factory-school GHANDOUR, French Heritage monument to St simeon de bressieux
Jonage family Funeral Chapel, French Heritage monument to Chamagnieu 1
Kiosk of square plan open on three sides by large full bow ... hanger. The door is flanked by two pilasters supporting an entablature Doric, topped by a pediment. (...) Jonage family Funeral Chapel, French Heritage monument to Chamagnieu
Presentation of the city Chamagnieu, French Heritage monument to Chamagnieu 9
The oldest traces of occupation dates back to Gallo-Roman times, in the ... hamlet of Miange near the stronghold of Bellegarde and the locality rocks. Until the (...) Presentation of the city Chamagnieu, French Heritage monument to Chamagnieu
Strong House; boarding school, said Chamagnieu Castle, French Heritage monument to Chamagnieu 6
Built in part on a terrace that overlooks the plain, the strong ... House consists of a West Wing flanked by two circular towers high on a basement floor piece (...) Strong House; boarding school, said Chamagnieu Castle, French Heritage monument to Chamagnieu
Parish Church Saint-Christophe, French Heritage monument to Chamagnieu 10
Limestone rubble walls. Facade in stone. Mechanical tiled long-framed roof. Polygonal arrow ... slate. Single nave arched edges. The current building replaced a (...) Parish Church Saint-Christophe, French Heritage monument to Chamagnieu
Parish Church, currently chapel Saint-Clair, French Heritage monument to Chamagnieu 11
The nave is covered with a paneling. The chancel is vaulted apse. ... The side chapel is vaulted warheads. The Church of Miange appears in 1172 in the possessions (...) Parish Church, currently chapel Saint-Clair, French Heritage monument to Chamagnieu