Parish Church Saint-Christophe, French Heritage monument to Chamagnieu
Limestone rubble walls. Facade in stone. Mechanical tiled long-framed roof. Polygonal arrow slate. Single nave arched edges. The current building replaced a now-destroyed building. Indeed, as early as 1836, the Bishop of la Tour-du-Pin wrote: the Church of Chamagnieux has long been in a sad state of deprivation [...], this old building [...] is so steeped in humidity that the priest who was without a doubt one of the strongest men of my diocese, is almost totally lost health. He proposed to build a new church at another location. In 1842, no decision was taken yet, being of the shared opinion of each City Council members want the reconstruction of the Church, other repair and expansion of the current church. January 27, 1843, the Council deliberated on a proposal of Mr. Calvet-Rogniat that her adoptive mother undertook to convey lands for the construction of a new Church, a cemetery, a home school and a common house and to contribute to the work of construction against the exchange of plots of land, changing the path to the new Church and the concession in perpetuity of the southern Chapel of the future Church. Hugues Quenin architect provides plans in May of the same year. City Council sought the expansion of the building width, architect justifies the selected dimensions, particularly in relation to the churches of Soleymieu and Vaulx-le-Milieu. The Church was inaugurated in 1844 (bears the date). As early as 1869 the building shows signs of weakness. Restoration work, which the estimate is prepared by the architect Luya, will be funded in part by the State, partly by the Earl of Jonage, then Mayor of the municipality. In 1899, the Saint-Christophe church underwent repairs by the contractor Armand Besson, under the direction of architect Huret: the frame is reconstructed with ancient materials, a tiled roof is raised, backs are made in masonry. Inside, the old tile is replaced by paving cement tile (Pont Saint-Esprit brand), a new ramp is attached to the staircase to the Gallery, the arrow is restored, coatings are redone. In 1926 the roof as the cover of the arrow are restored by Bonnard, Saint-Marcel-Bel-home entrepreneur.
Source: Ministry of Culture, France
Crédit photo : alain (Parish Church Saint-Christophe, chamagnieu)
Parish Church Saint-Christophe, Limestone rubble walls. Facade in stone. Mechanical tiled long-framed roof. Polygonal arrow slate. Single nave arched edges. The current building replaced a (...) Parish Church Saint-Christophe, French Heritage monument to Chamagnieu chamagnieu, isere
The complete official record is available at service régional de l'inventaire Rhône-AlpesLe Grenier d'Abondance - 6, Quai Saint Vincent - 69001 Lyon - 04.72.00.43.70
Men involved in this construction
- Quenin hugues (in French) architecte
Contributions documentaries made by visitors
Voir cette photo en grand
Contact contributor with his mail for more information.
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.