Tower called Tower of the Knights Templar, French Heritage monument to Veurey voroize
The tower known as of the templier is an enigmatic building with respect to the documents which the history has leaves to us.
It is presented in the form of a rectangular plan of 13/15 m of dimension. the current height is estimee has 17 bills of quantities. The photographs proposed by Lucie, show old openings has trefoil decoration, the low openings on the other hand seem of share their constitution much more recent. The lower door (on the right), the corbels has its base and its constitution places this opening about the time of the trefoil openings but its deterioration makes that it is difficult to restore its function of origin.
stereotype that I could see on the fabric show on the face opposed to the photograph proposed by Lucie of the opening fines which could be attribuees has military functions. Their low height, the probable time of construction do not make it possible to be affirmative between a military and purely practical function (slit of light). a visit on the spot with observation of the characteristic of the embrasure could raise the doubt.
the Bulletin of the Company of statistics (see below) tends has to connect the building has a commandery Templiere.
Not being able to return to me on the spot to consult the various files likely to contain invaluable information on his history, I made the turn of the files numerisees to extract some fragments from them being able to describe what we know of this building. Here is the thin detail:
Bulletin of the Company of statistics
We also indicate, in the district of Grenoble, like pointing out memories of the same time:
- Ruins of chartreuse of Premol, on the commune of Vaulnaveys-le-Haut
- An old building having belonged has a commandery of Templiers, has Echirolles
- The ruins of the prioress of the Field, founds time of saint Hugues, bishop of Grenoble
- The Bridge-of-Devil, has double arch, thrown on the torrent of Bens, on the commune of the Vault-of-Hand-barrow; bridge which separate France of Savoy and whose bold construction is attribuee, by people of the country, in Templiers
- Turns of Lapse, of Laval, of Tencin, Claix, of St-Georges-in-Commiers, of Veurey, Thoranne, etc
(Bulletin of the Company of statistics, the natural science and the industrial arts of the department of Isere 1838)
June 25, 1339. Recognition in stronghold by Guigues Bertrand has Henri, lord of Sassenage, for his strong house and other goods in the parish of Veurey, etc (Grenoble, Inventaire Graisivaudan, V. 53b).
The study of the old documents and an external source shows us however that a person took time to carry out a relative compilation has this strong house. Indeed, the Abbot Sheep in 1910, east quotes has various places like the only person having carried out a complete study. Not having been able to reach has this document, I am not able to speak about it.
Source of what follows: chateau.over-blog.net
- At the 13th century (1291?), an order of knighthood asks for the construction of a tower of guet to control the passages of Isere North, in the South Isere and towards the valley of Gresivaudan (see the book on this valley). It would seem that it is the lord of Veurey, Raymond Bertrand, who requests a reinforcement of the position near the Order of Temple etc etc the word Templier would come from this act. But it seems that there is confusion with a Strong House Templiere in the village of VOUREY.
I do not have anything finds the reliable one concerning this assertion which one easily finds on Internet. If the family quotes actually had an impact some on this commune and the area it was on the other hand impossible to me to see the act of which it is question. this information is thus has to check.
- At the 14th century the commune is named: Voroy.
Knowing that this historical detail is of relative low importance, I just allow myself to raise that there exists a controversy at the 19th century on the name Voroy which could be regards as a misreading according to a source dependent on linguistics.
- In 1339, in a Delphinal act (of Dauphine), this east place quotes having a keep of 3 stages joins has a dwelling.
See Ci above the extract binds to the Graisivaudan Inventory.
- In the middle of the 14th century, it seems that this tower is the keep of a fortification.
Taking into account the general evolution of architecture castrale, this assertion without quotation of source does not have in is any value, but it should however be noted that answers has a logic of this time that one cannot contradict.
- At the beginning of the 15th century, another castle of dwelling is built on the heights of the village. The old woman tower does not seem any more to be utilisee by the lord Josserand Bertrand.
The various acts that I could consult show that veurey would have been frequent by approximately 7 various lords who would have maintained each one there at least a strong house. Not finding anything relating to a bond between the castle which east mentions here and them known as strong houses, I am thus satisfied to quote without approving or cancelling.
- About 1530, the tower, the orchard, the grounds are sold by Anne Montaud has Fran?ois Vacon. This new lord pays homage to the King later a few months.
I do not have finds trace of an act coming to confirm this sale.
- In 1814, the Napoleonienne army is in war close to the village. Balls of gun damage the tower.
Probable but I do not have seeks has to check this fact.
Crédit photo : Lucie (Tower called Tower of the Knights Templar, veurey voroize)
Tower called Tower of the Knights Templar, « Tower called Tower of the Knights Templar » is a construction of the city of Veurey voroize (France, Isere). Tower called Tower of the Knights Templar, French Heritage monument to Veurey voroize veurey voroize, isere
Contributions documentaries made by visitors
Voir cette photo en grand
Contact contributor with his mail for more information.
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.