Dam of the Mazelles (also on municipality of Apulia), French Heritage monument to Thesee

Technical overview which has vital milestone in the history of hydraulic heritage. The needles of the Mazelles dam is of the type invented by Mr. Poirée in 1833 and implemented for the first time in Ballard on the Yonne, in 1834. It also presents a few dams features Cher channeled built overall between 1838 and 1843, when the work of the expensive, Saint-Aignan line tours. These dams have indeed benefited from a technical improvement developed by the engineer in Chief and Director of the expensive line, Mr Haranguier de Quincenot, who has devised to replace the deck boards by steel aprons attached to the farmhouse and used to link. The difficulty caused by overweight was then compensated by the use of a small mobile winch to raise the dam. This device, adopted subsequently on the dams of the Belgian Meuse, to perform the lifting operation of the dam in a single operation (instead of three in the initial system), allows a saving of time. As other mobile of the expensive dams, characterized also by a relatively small of farmhouses (not exceeding 2,50 m and appropriate to the size of the river), by the existence of a spillway in reducing the risk of flooding in the event of surge or flood (Assistant for the first time at the dam of Epineau on the Yonne in 1837). Finally, instead of a riffle with a threshold in masonry, dams the Cher as a threshold have a stub that appeared most appropriate to the maintenance of this type of dam, allowing a change easier to this piece, particularly exposed. Up high in the chronology of this type of works, either after the dam of Epineau on the Yonne, they precede the works of the line of the Seine. They would therefore be first developed for the channelling of river dams needle and prototypes in this field having school in Europe, but also in the United States (Ohio etc.). They thus appear as milestones and key witnesses of the industrial age, but belong, it is true, to a field of heritage very threatened by technical change. Mazelles to Theseus dam is a dam mobile farmhouses and needles of the type developed by Poirée in 1833-1834. It is traditionally made one navigable Bay that can be crossed, a lock allowing communication with the reaches upstream and downstream for the passage of boats, closed at each end by two metal wings (non-original), masonry and a Weir ensuring the flow of water in the event of excessive flow of the river when it is crossed out. The mobile portion of the dam is composed of trapezoidal farmhouse oriented parallel to the current and may be lying in the bottom of the river or even identified by rotating on their basis which is here a riffle with a stub. The small houses are maintained solidarity between them using metal plates, aprons, each on a small farm, which also constitute a service walkway on which the builders can circulate. Northern fir needles to form the reservoir are plated to the upstream of the farmhouse by the current and rely on the merits against a threshold in the invert and top against the aprons. The flow of water can be regulated according to the number of needles in place (and also, as in Montrichard, depending on the position of the needles, small or large side facing the current). The spacing between two farmhouses is 1 metre, while needles measure 2.75 meters in length, to a reservoir of 2.10 metres approximately. Here the height of the farmhouse is close to 1.50 meters, indicating a former c construction date.

Source: Ministry of Culture, France

Dam of the Mazelles (also on municipality of Apulia)
Crédit photo : (Dam of the Mazelles (also on municipality of Apulia), thesee)

Heritage listed, historical monument, or having been under investigation

Structural information

Dam of the Mazelles (also on municipality of Apulia), Technical overview which has vital milestone in the history of hydraulic heritage. The needles of the Mazelles dam is of the type invented by Mr. Poirée in (...) Dam of the Mazelles (also on municipality of Apulia), French Heritage monument to Thesee thesee, loir et cher

Location and general information

  • identifier : 68996
  • item : Barrage des Mazelles (également sur commune de Pouillé)
  • Location of the building :
    • Centre
    • Loir-et-Cher
    • Thésée
  • Place name : les Mazelles
  • INSEE code of the municipality : 41258
  • Zip code of the municipality : 41140
  • Order in the communal list : 1
  • Name of the building : The building is designated by the following 2 names :
    • dam
    • weir
  • State :
    • the current state of the monument is not known.

Dates and times

  • Period of construction : 2 different epochs of evolution of the building.
    • 19th century
    • 2nd quarter 19th century
  • Year : 1839
  • Investigation : 1998
  • Date of protection : 1998/12/23 : inscrit MH
  • Date taken into account : 2001/03/13

Construction, architecture and style

  • Materials:
    • We do not have this information.
  • Roofing :
    • We do not have this information.
  • Materials (roofing) :
    • We do not have this information.
  • Other about the composition roofs :
    • No information on the coverage of the place.
  • Floors :
    • any information about this construction.
  • Stairs :
    • No stairs mentioned on this construction.
  • Decoration of the building :
    • No information about decoration.
  • Representation :
    • No information on the ornamentation of the place.
  • Typology :
    • No information about typology.
  • Plan :
    • We do not know the type of plan for this building.

Monument and history of the place

  • Elements protected MH (historical monument) :
    • This element of the building is the subject of protection : lock
  • Constituent areas :
    • no information.
  • Parties constituantes étudiées :
    • no information.
  • Use :
    • We do not know the different uses that have been made of this construction.


  • Other :
    • other Information : work also on the common type of Puglia property of the State 1998
  • Detail :
    • Le barrage mobile à aiguilles des Mazelles ainsi que les aménagements construits qui lui sont liés, à savoir : l' écluse, la maison éclusière et les deux pavillons à aiguilles (cad. barrage mobile et écluse, non cadastrés, situés sur le Cher canalisé et jouxtant les parcelles BD 144 (à Thésée) et ZB 191 (à Pouillé)
    • Thésée, BD 144 : maison éclusière et pavillons à aiguilles) : inscription par arrêté du 23 décembre 1998
  • Mérimée reference : PA41000013

Contributions documentaries made by visitors

Photo de sybarite48 est l'image principale de cette notice.

Voir cette photo en grand

Contact contributor with his mail for more information.

source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.

Participate in the increase of the database

You have "old photos" of the monument or recent, you know this monument and want to share your photos, knowledge, stories about him, click here.

The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.