Before the Roman conquest, the territory now occupied by the Department of the Loire, was inhabited by the Segusiens, including Forum, currently Feurs, became the capital. The tradition that César has won a decisive victory over Simon in this region. After the conquest, this region flourished as a Roman colony for several centuries, and was ensconced in Gallia lugdunensis.
Around the 5th century, the province spent a moment in the hands of the Burgundians, and then under Frankish domination. The children of Clovis is shared the paternal Kingdom to 534, and Forez then made part of the Lyon County; It was ravaged by the Saracens in the 8th century; its counties fought against the Arab invasion, managed to repel the looters, increased their power, and one of them, in the 10th century, Charles the bald reigning, declared himself hereditary County. One of his successors, Guillaume III, enlisted in the first Crusade and was killed at the siege of Nicaea, leaving finish in his person the first race of the counts of Forez. Counties of the second race had first to fight against the archbishops of Lyon who claimed rights over certain cities of the region, and one of them, Guy, promoted by the weapons, seized from Lyon that he plundered in 1157; the King and the Pope intervened in the feud, and, through Exchange and agreed price, areas of the drill were fully maintained in the hands of its counties. In the 13th century, postage charters were granted to major cities.
During the 14th century, these valiant Lords struggled all-out against the English invasion, but they could not escape their country to foreign depredations, and same Montbrison was burned by the parties that defeated the campaign; the English followed the road, looters and thieves who apparently then the France; the counties of Forez gathered at their uncle Jacques de Bourbon, count of la Marche, to purge the land of these terrible bandits. A great battle was fought near Brignais, which was fatal to the good cause; the count of Forez was killed; his brother and successor became insane; the drill was then sold to the second son of King John, Louis de France, and landlocked in the domain of the Dukes of Bourbon. Thus ended the second race of the counts of Forez. The third race was, in fact, represented by the family of d ' Urfé, likely of German origin; Indeed, the Dukes of Bourbon could inhabit this country that they were content to visit sometimes; but Guichard of Urte invested by them of the burden of bailiff and administered Forez in their place. When by the death of a Princess of Bourbon in 1521, the County was joined with the Crown of France by his heiress, Louise of Savoy, mother of François Ier, the d ' Urfé retained their position; Despite their wisdom, they could not prevent the drill to be harshly tested during the religious wars of the 16th century; the terrible baron des Adrets, the head of the protestants took Feurs, Montbrison, Montrond, Saint-Bonnet-le-Château, Boen, Saint-Galmier, etc.; in these terrible events joined the plague, famine and the excesses of the Loire. But these evils were to their end, and after a few disorders caused by the League, Forez tasted a tranquility he had more to lose; the d ' Urfé went to Paris, in the 18th century, in a fairly deep darkness.
In 1790, when the France was divided into departments, the Department of the Loire was first included in that of the Rhône; but in 1793 after the siege of this city, the Convention reassigned this Department, and the Loire was then formed from the old drill and a portion of du Lyonnais et du Beaujolais.
latest Department notices
Church of Villerest
The Church, oriented, dedicated to saint Priest, is a construction of three ... different ages. Of the primitive edifice, the plan gave a Latin cross and its architectural details dating from the last years of the 12th century, it remains that apse, choir and the transept with the Tower planted on the crossroads of the naves. The semicircular apse, vaulted apse, is lace three small lancets Lancet Windows very narrow and very slim, that recall the elegant berries of the commandery of Verrières.
Hotel Pelletier to St Haon le Chatel
The most important House in the city is the former provost House ... which today serves as City Hall. It is a Manor House from the end of the 15th century, with courtyard on which intrudes a polygonal stair Tower breakthrough on ground floor of a remarkable door with its sculpted, sober and elegant design than to the finish of the work.
Dungeon to Le crozet
Crozet, good and old villote of Forez, the homeland of the jurisconsult ... Papon, has successively stripped of all of its trappings of city. It recently lost its Tower from the 13th century, huge polygon barely joined porphyry stone by cement, without a roof, without opening other that a door located on the first floor and by which it penetrated only by means of a scale withdrawn after itself.
Abbey La Bénisson-Dieu
Towards the beginning of the 12th century, a man shown by his ... knowledge, distinguished by its virtues, based in the Valley that occupies us, solitude, retreat whose importance became great, whose power became huge. Bernard, the Court of Rome has canonised, was this illustrious man. Tradition records that St. Bernard, Abbot of Clairvaux, travelling with his disciple Albéric, entered the Valley of the active, and that he could not, seeing this enchanting site, refrain from exclaim: Benedicamus Déo, fratres.
Church saint Bartholomew to Cherier
dedicated to saint Bartholomew, and consists of a nave vaulted arches; There ... are three chapels side, two Aisled choir and the other on the right wing, it is dedicated to the Virgin. The choir of this church still retains remnants of the respectable origin of its construction; the Byzantine style appears with its balusters, its arches, vaults and its dome which supports the Bell Tower.
The small town of Charlieu possessed a Benedictine Abbey, founded in the ... 9th century, a few years before that of Cluny, Boson, King of Burgundy, and Ralbert, Bishop of Valence, brother. Saint-Guillaume, born of the House of the Dukes of Aquitaine, was Abbot; but in the 10th century, when the Abbey of Cluny became head of the Benedictine order, that of Charlieu was no longer only a Priory under his obedience and under the title of Saint-Fortuné.
St. Peter Parish Church to Ailleux
The walls of the Church are predominantly in Mica-weathered schist pink, extract ... of the career of the 'millionaire' to Malaïgue, on the slope of Saint-Pulgent, partially coated on the south elevation of the Chapel and the choir. The west facing the South Chapel, the southern portal, angle chains, frames of the bays, the foothills, modillions, the arches and columns and cornices are Cezay granite.
Priory in Ambierle
Benedictine monastery dedicated to Saint Martin of Tours, founded in 505, ... aggregated at the beginning of the 10th century at the order of Cluny and reduced to the rank of Priory in 1101. The current church of the 15th century replaces the Romanesque church destroyed by fire around 1441, rebuilt by Antoine de Balzac of D'entragues, prieur between 1445 and 1490.
Priory Church, Church of the chapter of canonesses, then the Abbey and parish church of Notre-Dame, French Heritage monument to Leigneux 1
« Priory Church, Church of the chapter of canonesses, then the Abbey ... and parish church of Notre-Dame » is a construction of the city of Leigneux (France, Loire). Priory Church, Church of the chapter of canonesses, then the Abbey and parish church of Notre-Dame, French Heritage monument to Leigneux
Parish Church, currently chapel Saint-Medard-and-Saint-Loup, French Heritage monument to St laurent rochefort 5
The walls of the chapel are Ashlar granite with angles stone chains, ... and a cornice of slabs of granite in Ridge (except on the southern side chapel). The roofs (...) Parish Church, currently chapel Saint-Medard-and-Saint-Loup, French Heritage monument to St laurent rochefort
Parish Church, Notre-Dame and Saint-Barthélemy, French Heritage monument to Arthun 2
The former choir and apse are built in small granite rubble, with ... chains of corner stone. A discharge arc is visible above the apse. The floor of the bells is, (...) Parish Church, Notre-Dame and Saint-Barthélemy, French Heritage monument to Arthun