The small town of Charlieu possessed a Benedictine Abbey, founded in the 9th century, a few years before that of Cluny, Boson, King of Burgundy, and Ralbert, Bishop of Valence, brother. Saint-Guillaume, born of the House of the Dukes of Aquitaine, was Abbot; but in the 10th century, when the Abbey of Cluny became head of the Benedictine order, that of Charlieu was no longer only a Priory under his obedience and under the title of Saint-Fortuné. He was held there two Councils.
The Church, built by the monks, was tall and well built; the very-high steeple was struck by lightning, may 8, 1638. The portal which still survives, and whose style indicates the 12th century, was adorned with figures that it has maimed in 1793.
While the English occupied the France, they kidnapped the Bell Tower Bell of 6 feet in diameter, they left on the edge of la Loire has Orléans, and who was then placed in the Cathedral of that city.
It believes that-Boson, founder of the Abbey, had his tomb in the Church, and is cited in support of this opinion, a fragment of stone found in the wall of the gate which separated the Court of the Abbey, of the city, and on which we read the word Boson surrounded by a few ornaments.
The choeur of the Church contained on the side of the Gospel a stone mausoleum to inscriptions in Gothic characters, whose revolutionary destruction so dispersed the debris, could not get any information on the remains it contained.
Another tomb was discovered some years ago in one of the chapels of the same church were demolished. This monument, marble white, formed from a single block of 97 centimeters in height, 65 centimeters of width in the work, and 1 meter 75 centimeters in length, contained ashes and bones; its richness proves that he was devoted to some distinguished character. On one of its faces reads:
Marble degradation do not read more
Source: Statistical test on the Loire by Joseph Duplessy Department.
Barrel of ancient churches: life quarter 11th century, 12th century; Tour of the prison: 12th century. The Tower of the Gendarmerie comes from the strengthening of the fortifications of the monastery at the end of the 15th century. It is a high-rise residential building occupied until 1790 by the chaplaincy. Sold as a national asset, the tower and adjoining buildings are abandoned then picked up by the gendarmerie during the Second Empire. In 1920, the building adjacent to the tower is destroyed to allow the building of the monument to the dead. The Tower has a diameter of 6 metres to 20 metres in height. An interior staircase serves the three floors. The first floor contains a monumental fireplace and traces of painted wall decoration. The property of the Abbey (formerly owned by the State, Ministry of culture) was transferred to the Department on January 1, 2009.
Crédit photo : pierre bastien (Charlieu Abbey, charlieu)
Charlieu Abbey, The small town of Charlieu possessed a Benedictine Abbey, founded in the 9th century, a few years before that of Cluny, Boson, King of Burgundy, and Ralbert, Bishop of Valence, brother. Saint-Guillaume, born of the House of the Dukes of Aquitaine, was Abbot; but in the 10th century, when the Abbey of Cluny became head of the Benedictine order, that of Charlieu was no longer only a Priory under his obedience and under the title of Saint-Fortuné. charlieu, loire
Contributions documentaries made by visitors
Voir cette photo en grand
Contact contributor with his mail for more information.
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.