Priory Church, Church of the chapter of canonesses, then the Abbey and parish church of Notre-Dame, French Heritage monument to Leigneux
The Church, in flat, is built in small rubble granite and sandstone, covered with a cement coating (except on the Western facade, stone). The corners and frames of berries are stone. The Bell Tower is built in brick and stone alternating seats. A brick cornice runs across the walls. The Church has a Latin cross plan since the addition on the single ship of two side chapels. The nave and chapels are covered with a paneling to compartments, the Gallery is vaulted edges. The main ship is covered by a roof long pans, the chapels of rump, mechanical tile roofs. The tower is covered with an arrow to sewers dimples slate. The barrel of the present Church may date back to the 11th or 12th century. Church of the Priory, and then transformed into Abbey chapter of canonesses, she became a parish church in 1829. The building knows some changes and especially Interior embellishments at the end of the 17th and 18th century, following the increasing fortunes of the Priory. The panelling (studied) Roofing is ordered in 1679, the sacristy in 1680. The window seem to have reworked summer (berries full-arch) in 1735, date read by Vincent Durand on axial Bay. Between 1755 and 1758, the architect Michel Carestia de Roanne, is responsible for various jobs, standing on furniture and painted decoration, and realized the perron. The roofing panels and frame are remade in 1849
* in 1859, architect Chambeyron enlarges the Church of two side chapels dedicated to the Virgin and Saint-Roch. The initials of the two patrons of the Church are repeated on the decorative coating in front in 1897 (pickled in the 1970s)
* However a project of interior wall decor, designed by architect Tardieu and dated 1892, has finally not been realized. In 1921, Montorier, architect of Boen, consolidates the Bell Tower with a facing of brick and stone (work 30 years later taken up by Blottin and Albert, entrepreneurs in Saint-Étienne).
Source: Ministry of Culture, France
Crédit photo : Chloé Dufour (Priory Church, Church of the chapter of canonesses, then the Abbey and parish church of Notre-Dame, leigneux)
Priory Church, Church of the chapter of canonesses, then the Abbey and parish church of Notre-Dame, « Priory Church, Church of the chapter of canonesses, then the Abbey and parish church of Notre-Dame » is a construction of the city of Leigneux (France, Loire). Priory Church, Church of the chapter of canonesses, then the Abbey and parish church of Notre-Dame, French Heritage monument to Leigneux leigneux, loire
The complete official record is available at Conseil régional de Rhône-Alpes - Service chargé de l'inventaire6, Quai Saint-Vincent - 69001 Lyon - 04.72.00.43.70
Men involved in this construction
- Carestia michel (in French) architecte
- Chambeyron (in French) architecte
- Montorier (in French) architecte
- Tardieu f. (in French) architecte
Contributions documentaries made by visitors
Voir cette photo en grand
Contact contributor with his mail for more information.
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.