Lot et garonne
The territory, currently occupied by the Department of Lot-et-Garonne, was populated, before the Roman invasion, by the Celtic tribe of the Nitiobriges; their capital was Agedinum which was later to form the city of Agen. This tribe is not associated with the national movement which, under the inspiration of Vercingetorix, led the Gallic population against the invaders; the Nitiobriges delivered even to the armies of César the passage of the Garonne, 51 years BC, and became, under the misleading appellation of allies, the slaves of Rome; However, ashamed of their condition, they provided a quota of 5000 men Vercingetorix, when this hero fought one last time for the independence of the Gauls. The Romans, masters of the country, classèrent Ablang in the second Aquitaine under Valentinian, and built numerous routes, public buildings, of the special villas whose soil has revealed.
This was in the middle of the 3rd century that Christianity made its appearance in this country; It is was first sealed by the blood of saint Vincent, martyr; during the reign of Diocletian, the new converts were violently persecuted by Dacius, the prefect of the Gauls, who besieged, took and burned down and engulfed Agedinum. The Romans soon followed the Vandals who walking on the conquest of the Spain, crossed and sacked the country and then the Visigoths, that Honorius was unable to keep it. These barbarians, tainted by Arianism, began again against the Christians of the Ablang persecution of Pagans; they retained the land until 507 time at which the Franks drove them from the Garonne basin; but these new conquerors could not maintain that for two centuries the Saracens invaded in 732, and it took the battle and victory laps for Pepin the short recouvrât that if contested province. But she was not at the end of his disasters. After the wise and powerful administration of Charlemagne who erected the Ablang in County and under the feudal system that is established at the expense of the weak heirs of the great emperor, the Norman pirates entered the country, nominal the Garonne during the 9th and 10th centuries, and completely destroyed Agedinum. Meanwhile, sorry County had spent successively in the hands of the count of Angoulême and Duke of Gascony, which held until in 1030, then it by marriage in the House of Poitiers, the Kings of France and the King of England finally arrived. Jeanne, sister of Richard Coeur de Lion, who married Raymond VI, count of Toulouse, brought it as a dowry.
It was under these new masters that the Albigensian war broke out. The Ablang had its large share of disasters who not only in 1229 when the brother of saint-Louis had married the daughter of the count of Toulouse. In 1271, he was back to the Crown; but eight years later, the shameful Treaty of Amiens was under English rule; This was a time of endless wars; Philippe le Bel regained the province in 1295; in 1337, the Earl of Derby took over the top; the most valiant captains of the time struggled against the English, but the Treaty of Brétigny, signed in 1360 by King John, delivered once again the Ablang to power of King Edouard; Charles V, Charles VI, played by weapons, and finally the victories of Charles VII came it definitively to the Crown of France in 1439. However, the SW part. in this province, i.e. the cities of Nérac and Casteljaloux, not ceased not to belong to the House of Albret. It was under Henri d'Albret, brother-in-law of François Ier by his marriage with Marguerite de Valois, began the wars of religion. Protestantism made immense progress in the country: Calvin preached his new religion, and this was the occasion of dreadful disasters and massacres without number. In 1572, the Ablang was donated by Charles IX to her sister, wife of Henri de Navarre. At his Ascension to the throne, prince meets the Ablang in the Crown, which was still experienced by disorders of the Fronde and the prince de Condé, who tried to lead the country in his rebellion against the Royal authority. Louis XIV finally ended these religious and political divisions, and the Ablang enjoyed peace well due to a province if proven until then, when the revocation of the edict of Nantes, in chasing the protestants of the territory, came to deal a new blow to its resurgent prosperity. Since then, no new event marked the history of the Ablang, and in 1789, it still belonged to the Dukes of Aiguillon, cadet branch of the House of Richelieu.
Territorial realignment of 1790, the Lot-et-Garonne was formed in large part the Ablang, the Bazadais, the Condomois and Lomagne.
Source: Geography illustrated the France and its colonies
latest Department notices
Stage the Myre-Mory, French Heritage monument to Villeneuve sur lot 72
Gym, locker rooms and stands in reinforced concrete, stairs and corridors in ... brick. The sports field development projects date back to 1941. The construction (...) Stage the Myre-Mory, French Heritage monument to Villeneuve sur lot
Ferdinand Buisson girls primary school, French Heritage monument to Villeneuve sur lot 86
Classrooms open cross stone. The creation of a primary school for girls ... in the Saint-Etienne area is decided in 1881. In 1882, land is purchased avenue de la (...) Ferdinand Buisson girls primary school, French Heritage monument to Villeneuve sur lot
So-called gendarmes barracks barracks Belzunce, French Heritage monument to Villeneuve sur lot 35
Open by large building. Games of brick and stone decor. School Belzunce, ... dependent on the Saint-Etienne, then the charity Office, factory was founded in 1875 (...) So-called gendarmes barracks barracks Belzunce, French Heritage monument to Villeneuve sur lot
House Castel Berger, French Heritage monument to Villeneuve sur lot 32
Body quadrangular building flanked by two round towers on the corners of ... the earlier rise, including a covered with a conical roof and the other a terrace, and (...) House Castel Berger, French Heritage monument to Villeneuve sur lot
Railway station, French Heritage monument to Villeneuve sur lot 89
Body central building covered with a roof broken flag, extensions to hilltops. ... Railway station built in 1869 with the spur route in Cahors by the Valley of the (...) Railway station, French Heritage monument to Villeneuve sur lot