château de Madaillan
The tower is in spur, ruined, retains a ground blind. Adjoining body, with a 1 level vaulted in cradle, serving once stable and room Guard (and probably wine cellar), is surmounted by a large room with a fireplace in the thickness of the south wall, served by a spiral staircase, the 3rd level is assigned to the defense. The large (approx. 13 x 16 m) tower to the West has 5 styled not vaulted levels with a Pavilion roof. Castle, isolated at the end of a spur of confluence dominating the small valleys of the streams of Bourbon and Saysset, is separated from plateau to the East by a wide ditch. G. Tholin and P. Bénouville, who have devoted a monograph to the Castle, then j. Gardelles, believe that the initial construction dates from the 4th quarter of the 13th century, 1285-1289, built for the of le Fossat, noble lineage among the most powerful of Agenais: constructions, circumscribed in a quadrangular enclosure, then appear to be confined to a tower fortified in spur to the East, adjacent to a vaulted room-bass. The first mention of the castrum dated 1307, in a document where it is State of the seigneurial residence ('domo and castro')
* expansion were probably made to the very beginning of the 14th century for Amanieu III du Fossat, with inter alia the development of a corps de logis grafted onto the Bass Hall and the construction of the crenellated outer wall. The construction of the so-called West Tower the Tower, adjacent to the corps de logis, appears immediately after the Amanieu III fortress in 1342 restitution after its confiscation by the King of France. Of ultimate expansion work is carried out towards the end of the 14th century, on the doubling in depth of the old house (destroyed southern part). During the wars of Religion, serving entrenched camp in Protestant Castle was besieged in vain by Monluc in 1575
* more than the damage caused by Headquarters (the breach in the Chamber to the West), it seems that the destruction of the tower to spur and a part of the dwelling or because of the desire of protestants to the place out of defence before its return to Catholics. Long abandoned, the castle was partially restored in the 19th century (j. lives de Lescale property) and 20th century.
Source: Ministry of Culture, France
Crédit photo : Contributeur anonyme (Castle of Madaillan, madaillan)
Castle of Madaillan, Patrimoine classé ou inscrit dit 'château de Madaillan' à madaillan (lot et garonne 47360). madaillan, lot et garonne
Contributions documentaries made by visitors
Voir cette photo en grand
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.